hidea brand quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomselleck

Recruit
I know it is a Chinese brand, but that's all i could get, a 5 hp 4 stroke hidea. does anyone have experience using this brand outboard? i will use it for my Jon boat. Thanks

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer
Re: hidea brand quality

Their hideous. Use that money for a good running name brand used 2-stroke. The 2-stroke will certainly last longer and cost you less.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.....

DO NOT be tempted at all ............ buy a used outboard. There is a significant reason many of us have great running older 2 strokes from the 50's, 60's and newer.......... they LAST !! :D

fishrdan

Admiral

It would probably run OK, but where are you going to get parts for it? Basic maintenance items like an impeller could be a chore to locate. Well, that's if they didn't make an exact copy of a similar outboard, like a Yamaha or something.

Myself, I'd stick to a used 2 stroke, something that you can get parts for. (yeah, yeah, I know, I own a Force/Gamefisher)

robert graham

Admiral

I know it is a Chinese brand, but that's all i could get, a 5 hp 4 stroke hidea. does anyone have experience using this brand outboard? i will use it for my Jon boat. Thanks
Hey, give it a try, maybe it's better than we think! I'm old enough to remember before Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki...everything was Evinrude, Johnson, Mercury. And you know what, the Asian guys make some pretty good outboard motors, although it may have taken them a while to work out all the kinks! Maybe and hopefully for you the Chinese have a pretty good product here. Good Luck and let us know how it runs, so we'll know if we ever want to even consider buying one!

DanMC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hidea is a Yamaha rip-off ...i heard that thru the grape vine...but not as refined and forget long term reliability...Made in China...need say no more.

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer

I started a whole thread about these outboards a while back and everone said the same.They are junk.I have a marina down here in fl who sells them and i talked to him about a week ago and he has sold over 100 of them in the past yr and that is because no one really knows about them.Out of the 100 he sold not one has yet to come back for any problems but routine maintanence.

Also yes they are almost a 100% knock off of yamaha.The 15hp 2stroke hidea and the 15hp 2stroke yamaha are 100%clones of eachother.Of course i would go with the yamaha just because they are bulletproof and as many have said in the thread i started who knows what kind of cheaper materials they use compared to the yamaha.For the price of the 5hp you can't go wrong as they are extremely cheap.A brand new 15hp 2stroke hidea is around $1600 american money and you can order them from a website that has sold thousands of them so far so they claim.Every single thing all the way down to the specs is identical with the 9.9 and 15hp 2stroke yamaha and hidea except price.

I also know the guy who owns the marina i go to were the hidea outboards are,his father n law has owned a 4hp 4stroke hidea for close to 3yrs and he says he loves it and has never had one problem.I'm not saying at all that they are good outboards i'm just telling you what i have heard from one of the marinas i go to every once in a while.I guess they are like parsun and all the other new chinese outboards that are coming out.I guess stick to a well known if at all possible but for the price you can get them for they are some what tempting to try.Good luck

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Seems that Hidea, Powerteck. Parsun, Sail and some others brands are made in the same factory with different colors and names, as all of them claims to be identical clones to Yamaha up to 40 HP engines.

Happy Boating

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

I would compare them to tools from Harbor Freight. Sure their going to work and look good for a while but they sure aren't going to last as long as tools made by Dewalt. The price sucks as well. I can almost guarantee a used good running 15hp JohnnyRude will last longer then any Chinese knockoff outboard for half the money.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

To anybody that would buy a hideous outboard, I would ask you.......

Where do you work and what products does your company manufacture?

Then I would search the internet far and wide to locate the same product made in China.

Then, I'll buy some of those Chinacrap products for the sole reason that it might put your company in such a position that it will lay you off and put you on welfare. Hope you have a nice day!....LOL. I guess you'll be selling the Hidea now won't you? Whatsamatter...no money to go fishing any more?

Then I can come back and tell you that you deserve to be unemployed and about to lose your house.

What goes around comes around!

This diatribe is not a reflection of my personal wishes for you, but rather an insight into what is coming.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Ah yes 1980, ish Honda (made in japan) must be junk !!!

OMG I guess you must be a kid.

Today Honda is up there with the best of them. But truth be told, back in 1980 there WERE crap!

connemaraisland

Seaman Apprentice

Well guys I guess this is where I throw in my 2 cents - actually I am a Hidea distributor in Ontario and have been selling these engines for 2 years. Like most of you above I was skeptical when I first looked into this new business venture. I am also in contact with the Florida distributor that is mentioned above - good guys!. If you use common and logical sense you can understand why the Chinese are and will make inroads into these kinds of businesses. If you look really closely with a trained eye you will notice (15hp Yamaha 2 stroke and 15hp Hidea that the parts are not copy or a knock off but are exactly the same! So this means there is collaoration between Yamaha and China. China must be supplying Yamaha with major components, because Japan is not a low or medium cost supplier of parts anymore. If you look at Yamaha's new 4 and 6 hp four stroke engines that they released last year and the current Hidea 5hp the whole bottom of the gearcase from the engine down is identical. I have in front of me a Hidea 9.9 4 stroke and a 8hp Yamaha 4 stroke and the engines are the SAME. Same carb, same recoil, same holes in the block the same everywhere.

Here is the big differance and this affects you and I the common guy - the yamaha 15hp two stroke sells here in Canada for $3695, I sell the exact same engine with a Hidea decal on it for $1995 (that's a $1700 differance). So which would you buy? I'm betting the Hidea will slowly take over the small engine market the same way Hyundai is doing in small car sales in North America. Lets not fool ourselves though - Hidea is thousands of miles away from the engineering might of Yamaha - you are not going the see them introduce a 250hp triple turbo-charged engine for $5000 for sure. But like the Japanese after the war they will be fast learners and may be a future compeditor. For all you naysayers - Hidea sends me parts in an emergency basis in 4 working days and the parts are a mere fraction of what Yamaha charges (they are the most exorbitant in the world as far as I am concerned and this is one of the reason they are losing customers (in Canada CDI pack for a 20hp 2 stroke outboard is $521/USA $278 for a Hidea 15hp 2 stroke twin $129).

By the way guys do not blame the Chinese for taking away your jobs - they are just filling a gap that your own NORTH AMERICAN CORPORATIONS presented to all the nations of the World by opening up this thing called "World Trade". It was our own corporations that sold us down the tubes and because these new products were cheaper we sucked them up like candy - but no one noticed at first the plants closing.

By the way of the Hidea engines I have sold I have had only one problem with one 9.9 four stroke - far less than problems with new Tohatsu Mercurys we sell at our dealers - Oh! which by the way are all made in China as well. - Food for thought - Bob

connemaraisland

Seaman Apprentice

So the choice here as you see it is only for all our companies to close and for everyone to go on welfare - if that is the case who then is going to put the money in the welfare pot - Oh! by the way the Federal Goverment is already in dept to the tune of 15 Trillion dollars!!!!

Is this America's response to competition?? Take a look around you and wake up, get educated as to what is happening and to why it has happened - do you really think its just the mean old Chinese making crap that takes your job away?? Since 1970 America has been on the decline as far as wealth generation goes (meaning the actual making of things to sell for a profit) Since Regan and Thatcher invented trickle down economics (it didn't work in the USA or the UK) the wealth created has been on accumulated CREDIT allowing everyone to strive for the "American Drean" even though the banks, the people borrowing it knew it could not be repaid. Since 1970 the US and most of the Western world spent an unbelievable amount of borrowed money and many thought the money boom had no ending - well the "Boom Ending" hit 3 years ago and reality came in to play and now everyone has to pay back what they owe or what Wall street owes.

Face reality - the jobs as we knew them are gone - they will not be coming back. The nation has to re-invent itself to be more competitive in a new world and in a new type of competition. Look at Germany they can do it as well as other nations. There is no reason the US can't but there are serious issues the US must face first if it is to have a fighting chance. 1) Poor education system - it used to be good but now is one of the worst in the industrialized world. Sure your best universities are good - if you can afford 35K$ per year but I am talking about pubic junior and senior high schools that turn out "graduates" that can't spell or write in complete sentances and know nothing of the world - the joke of the "Stupid American is no joke - it is reality"
2) Health care - get you head out of the sand and do as the rest of the advanced nations of the world has done and have a socialized health care (being 27th in the world in child mortality gives the for profit health care people no credibility) 3) Get control of your government - The US has been at war forever and at one time this year was fighting 3 wars - these wars are not in the national interest -it is in the Corporate and government individual self-interest - take control of the government. Can the US economy even operate in a no war environment??
4) Drugs and the violence that goes with it - I have no answer for this as I have no experience in this and I am sure it is very complex.
I am not meaning to be preachy here but America has to reinvent itself to regain respect in the world and of its own people.

Last edited:

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

See what you started Tom...lol
I don't own and never have...hope it works well for you and give us a review in time.
I was thinking the same as most...older technology,cheaper metals maybe tolerances,clearances not as good but don't know if any of that is true,time will tell.
At that price the do look tempting.
Are there outboards being made in the U.S.?
I know evinrude/etecs are now owned by a Canadian company,havn't any idea where there made though.
Thinking all other brands are overseas somewhere.
As far as them being knockoffs of Yamahas...so is my 87 Mariner.
I think after so many years the technology is let go and other people can use it.(could be way off though)

nwcove

Admiral

geez......after all that, i think i might just look into a new set of oars! ......should i dare ask what brand would be the best??

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Well guys I guess this is where I throw in my 2 cents - actually I am a Hidea distributor in Ontario and have been selling these engines for 2 years. Like most of you above I was skeptical when I first looked into this new business venture. I am also in contact with the Florida distributor that is mentioned above - good guys!. If you use common and logical sense you can understand why the Chinese are and will make inroads into these kinds of businesses. If you look really closely with a trained eye you will notice (15hp Yamaha 2 stroke and 15hp Hidea that the parts are not copy or a knock off but are exactly the same! So this means there is collaoration between Yamaha and China. China must be supplying Yamaha with major components, because Japan is not a low or medium cost supplier of parts anymore. If you look at Yamaha's new 4 and 6 hp four stroke engines that they released last year and the current Hidea 5hp the whole bottom of the gearcase from the engine down is identical. I have in front of me a Hidea 9.9 4 stroke and a 8hp Yamaha 4 stroke and the engines are the SAME. Same carb, same recoil, same holes in the block the same everywhere.

Here is the big differance and this affects you and I the common guy - the yamaha 15hp two stroke sells here in Canada for $3695, I sell the exact same engine with a Hidea decal on it for $1995 (that's a $1700 differance). So which would you buy? I'm betting the Hidea will slowly take over the small engine market the same way Hyundai is doing in small car sales in North America. Lets not fool ourselves though - Hidea is thousands of miles away from the engineering might of Yamaha - you are not going the see them introduce a 250hp triple turbo-charged engine for $5000 for sure. But like the Japanese after the war they will be fast learners and may be a future compeditor. For all you naysayers - Hidea sends me parts in an emergency basis in 4 working days and the parts are a mere fraction of what Yamaha charges (they are the most exorbitant in the world as far as I am concerned and this is one of the reason they are losing customers (in Canada CDI pack for a 20hp 2 stroke outboard is $521/USA $278 for a Hidea 15hp 2 stroke twin $129).

By the way guys do not blame the Chinese for taking away your jobs - they are just filling a gap that your own NORTH AMERICAN CORPORATIONS presented to all the nations of the World by opening up this thing called "World Trade". It was our own corporations that sold us down the tubes and because these new products were cheaper we sucked them up like candy - but no one noticed at first the plants closing.

By the way of the Hidea engines I have sold I have had only one problem with one 9.9 four stroke - far less than problems with new Tohatsu Mercurys we sell at our dealers - Oh! which by the way are all made in China as well. - Food for thought - Bob

Since no Tohatsu is made in China......That pretty much means you don't know what you are talking about:)

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here's the truth. We left the door wide open. Our cars in the 70 were complete crap. At 50k they were considered over the hill. The GM V6 was crap. The stage two was better but the damage was done by then. The V8 diesel was crap. GM lost a HUGE Cadillac following when they sold them junk and the two years later their trade was nothing. Heck for a while there you didn't what motor you were getting when you bought GM. The ford pinto. How about the Chrysler K-car. Now there was a bargan.

Yamaha came in here and scared Brunswick. Enough that they started buying boat builders to ensure they still had channels to get there products out. BMV brought in their line for one year and Brunswick paid them off to go away. Their outdrive used automatic transmission fluid with clutch plates and was water cooled. You couldn't hear if shift. Just like the Allison.Go run a Honda or Suzuki 4 stroke. Save the union speeches please.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

2) Health care - get you head out of the sand and do as the rest of the advanced nations of the world has done and have a socialized health care
Advanced?

But if we do that.......All the people that come "south" that don't want to die standing in line, waiting for that wonderful socialized Govt health care, won't have anywhere to go..... :rolleyes: Well I guess they could go to Mexico.......

Or they'll do what they do in those "advanced" countries........ They'll buy it under the table. Making the black market even bigger than it already is.........

And where will good doctors go? (Like my last ophthalmologist did from north of the border)....She moved south so she could get paid more than the "advanced" "socialized" government professional gets paid where she was from.......... I am sure it's a good system if you don't get sick. And it's free too.....like free beer.

I have to ask......What does all of this have to with outboard motors?

if you can afford 35K$ per year but I am talking about pubic junior and senior high schools that turn out "graduates" that can't spell or write in complete sentances and know nothing of the world - the joke of the "Stupid American is no joke - it is reality" .................

Last edited by connemaraisland; August 21st, 2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Um.....whut?

nwcove

Admiral

i dont speel tu well miself, butt whut does all thiz have to du wit the ops riginal qesten? i does lik the idear of dem dare free beers dat ht3 speaked of doh! (c'mon guys!! please! i like a good debate as much as the next guy, but when it goes from outboards....in an outboard forum.....to healthcare and education......it seems like it might have went off on a bit of a tangent)

Status
Not open for further replies.