Here's a tip for you--Don't leave a small tip

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Here's a tip for you--Don't leave a small tip

Well fellows call me names if you want. That don't bother me, but as an American, I have the right to tip or not to tip without being told that I have to.<br /><br />Like I said before, if you can't make ends meet doing the waitress thing, get another job where you can.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

What about a buffet, where the server just brings your beverage and your check? I usually figure a buck a head is about right.

Seamus

Seaman

OK, I have to say that I really like the tipping system here and here's why. In France the gratuity is built into the bill. If you liked the service you left a Franc - and never more than 5 Francs (still less than a dollar.) This is no more than a token statement and does little or nothing to affect the income of the server. For the most part the service in France is inexcusably terrible compared to American standards (and I'm not bashing the French - I loved France - I'm just making an observation.) I think the reason why is that it doesn't make the slightest difference to a French waiter whether he gives good or poor service - he still gets his gratuity.<br /><br />Here in America a good server (as much a difficult profession as any I can think of)can make some seriously fat money (I have numerous friends in this profession and many have made excellent money - some of them buying restaurants and finding that they made better money as a server.) A bad server makes poor money and usually moves on to a profession at which he or she is more suited. Overall this is good for everyone.<br /><br />I tip based purely on the service I get. Sometimes service is so bad I actually leave nothing. This feels pretty weird to me and I always wonder if the server will just think I was rude. But then I think that same server probably gets poor or no tips from everyone and eventually they will learn from the servers they work with who make better money or they will quit. I usually equate poor service with bad attitude and if the lack of service is due to the server being overworked I will not take it out on the server. I don't really know what to do about an owner who is too damn cheap to hire or schedule adequate staff. I guess if the problem is chronic I stop patronizing the joint.

sloopy

Commander

Stop yelling at Ryan, yell at the original young stupid kid (me!). I will add my views on tipping here soon!<br /><br />But I'm back, glad to see you guys have not changed a bit.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Nate, pretend the customer NEEDED the dirt TONIGHT and its 4:30 already. The customer lives about an hour away. You quit hauling at 4:00. If you deliver the dirt then you DESERVE a tip. Anything else is what you expect to get paid. The govt doesn't hold the restraunts to the same standard as others. They basiclly dictate the low hourly wage. I've been known to tip small if the waitress deserved a small tip, however good service gets a great tip and a quick word to the manager about the good service.<br />Ryan did step over the line a little with the name calling and all since he really doesn't know what SBN does for a living other than landscaping/courier service. <br /><br />PS- I ain't picking a fight with anybody. I just hate someone downgrading my mother and her choice of jobs.

sloopy

Commander

BY THE WAY.. In most states (or at least in this state) if a waiter does not make over minimum wage in tips during a working hour, the employer has to pay the difference. you can make $1000 in tips in one hour, and if you only make a dollar in tips the next hour, the employer still has to pay the difference.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, guys. Too much personal hostility.<br /><br />That is even after too many edits and deletions.