Here's a tip for you--Don't leave a small tip

agrazela

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Here's a tip for you--Don't leave a small tip

The restaurant owner is named Soprano...these guys are lucky they don't get whacked!

brother chris

Commander

First, that can't be a law. No way. <br />If it was a law, then the price should be reflected with the menu items. <br />A tip is just that...a tip....if you give crappy service...you get nothing!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, BC.<br /><br />I find that a small tip says a lot more about lousy service than no tip at all. They know you didn't forget! :D

ndemge

Commander

My tips range from 1% - 200+<br /><br />Ever sit and drink coffee for hours... If they keep bringing refills, and don't get pushy because that's all you order, don't be surprised to see a $5 sitting there.<br /><br />All depends on the service.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

"He said they weren't completely satisfied with the food..." <br /><br />Don't penalize the server for unsatisfactory food. And base the tip on the full value even if you get complimentary food or use a coupon or whatever. I don't mind restaurants adding 15% 'cause it usually saves me money - if it's on the bill, I'm not adding to it.<br /><br />Of course if I'm eating at a joint called "Soprano's" I'm tipping big, yes sir, you bet!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I once paid a small bill of about 26-28 dollars with a $50 bill.My wife only had an appetizer and we had drinks from the bar in the mexican restuarante.The service was marginal,being such a small simple meal there was not much to do.The waiter did not come back afer serving the food to ask if everything was ok or if we needed anything else.The next time we saw him was when it was time for the bill.I gave him a $50 to pay and waited for change for 15 minutes until I had to ask someone else what happened to our waiter and our change.The waiter came back in another 5 minutes and said he thought the rest of the money was for him.He brought the $22 -$24 change and we proceeded to leave without leaving a tip for the first time in my life.The waiter actually had the nerve to stop us at the door with his manager and ask if there was a problem with the service.I replied that the service was fair and did you really think I was going to give you a $24 tip for a $26 check?????You left us sitting for 20 minutes without returning. He replied that he was sorry and made a wrong decision.I replied the he sure did and in the future he should let the customer GIVE him a tip rather than he TAKE a tip.Charlie

NathanY

Commander

I feel tipping is extorsion and it just gives Employers a reason to screw their employees.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Many restaurant menus state that a gratutity of x % is added to bills for parties of 8 or more persons, now what difference does it make if you serve 8 persons at one table or 8 persons at 8 separate tables, you still hafta take 8 orders, bring 8 glasses of water, 8 meals, 8 desserts, etc? Tipping seems to be a way for restaurant owners to pay sub-minimum wages and let the customer pay the rest. And Charlie, I agree with you, whenever a waiter person asks, "did you want change." I always answer, "if you want a tip bring the change and I'll decide how much." ;)

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

First of all, I'm not sure I'm going to eat in a restaurant called "Soprano's" without constantly looking over my shoulder, lol! If I did, you can be sure I'd leave an adequate tip!!<br /><br />I always tip 20-40%, depending on the service, unless the service is really poor. Most waiters & waitresses work for less than minimum wage and depend on their tips to supplement their low salaries. Having worked in a restaurant, I know how it is. Also, I don't put the tip on my credit card. Tips on credit cards leave a record that the wait-person must declare as untaxed income.<br />And 18% on a party of 8 or more is not asking too much, IMHO.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I think the reasoning behind the mandatory tip is due the the bill often being split up between the dinners. When that happens, tips often fall to the wayside. I still don't like it.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

They've been deciding their own tips around here recently. The way it works is they would change your tip on a credit card to a larger one when they keyed it into the credit card machine. Your receipt still showed the tip you gave and, unless you compared it to your statement, you would never know. There was a segment on the local TV news about it, so maybe it will die down for a while. There is nothing that someone won't think of eventually, is there?

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

I was told that the mandatory tip on the large parties is due to the disproportionate amount of time a large party takes from the server. It sounds hokey I know, but think about it, it's faster to get two people to decide what to order and order than it is eight. And I have seen it first hand where a server spends more time at one 8-top than on her/his other five 4-tops combined. And yes it's an outrage that restaurant owners can pay such pitiful wages because of the excuse of the tips. And as for "Tips on credit cards leave a record that the wait-person must declare as untaxed income." Hello! I pay my fair share of taxes, why shouldn't the waiter/waitress? What an outrage. I don't leave tips on my credit/debit cards either, but that's because some restaurants don't give the waitstaff their "Charge Tips" until the end of the month when the restaurant get's their statement. I prefer good old green paper.<br />And as for the large party at Soprano's being obnoxious, it's not hard to believe. I know it's a generality but large groups can tend to get out of hand, honestly. And if so, they should get whacked.... upside the head and told to be respectful.<br />'nuf said, I'll go back ot my hole now.

11 footer

Lieutenant

The restaurant owner should keep quiet about the whole thing. Getting it in the papers and everything doesn't look good.<br /><br />My dad has been in the restaurant business for a long time, I know a bit about it.<br /><br />For a large party, you should charge for the service, don't call it a tip, you call it service, then if individual people at the party want to give some of the wait staff a tip, which they usually do, the money gets split down the middle at the end of the night and each member of the wait staff gets an equal amount, plus a % of the "service" charge. But its known before hand what the service change will be and who will be paying for it.<br /><br />This is how they do it for weddings and large ($48per head)functions, I'm not sure how it would work out in a little rinkey dink pizza place, but the whole idea makes sense.<br /><br />naturally,<br />you don't do that with a small party who walks in for dinner, but with larger function, its the way to do. All high wedding and large party facilities do it that way.

brother chris

Commander

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Hi, BC.<br /><br />I find that a small tip says a lot more about lousy service than no tip at all. They know you didn't forget! :D
I agree JB, a small tip is usually what I do if I get lousy service. <br />I work for my money, so should they. That is not hard to understand. <br />I worked in many restaurants and know how much money these waiters and cooks actually get. Every employer I have ever had paid us less and mentioned that the tips would make up for the lower salary. <br />So what he is saying is I have to rely on someone else to get more money. And we all know when you rely on others to get things done properly, you lose. <br />There has been countless times that the people I worked with were hungover/sick/bad mood, whatever, and their service impacted how much of a tip we all got. <br />I had to rely on people like that...no thanks.<br />I quit the industry and moved on. <br />I still understand that these people(waitress, waiters, cooks, dishwashers hostesses etc...) make a lousy wage, but if you want more, try making a better impact with their service. <br />Service sells. <br />I don't buy the "tip us or we call the police". That is just bunk! <br />And just as a side note, I do tip, very well in fact, but only when the waiter/waitress deserves it.

mattttt25

Commander

i hate seeing these topics and some of the responses. gets me so fired up.<br /><br />if you can't afford to tip or don't think tipping is required, then stay home and cook for yourself.<br /><br />wait staff have a difficult job of trying to satisfy hundreds of different people every day or night. they usually do a good job, but things slip sometimes. maybe you'll get something wrong, or maybe it takes a little longer than you expect. so be it. enjoy the fact you are out and don't blame everything on the server, who can't control everything about your dining experience.<br /><br />i always tip 20% because i know these kids need the money. while some states pay minimum wage to their employees (which is still crap), others don't have to. when i lived in california, their wait staff was paid $2.15 an hour. they were expected to make up the difference with tips. so when you walk out without tipping because it took a little long to get your food, you just hurt that person pretty bad.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

I am so tired of wait staff feeling entitled to a tip that I could go postal. I understand that waiters do not make enough money, and I feel their pain. I don't make enough money either. But if they want me to leave a tip, then earn it. <br /><br />I am a good tipper, but I need something to tip for. Make sure my tea glass isn't empty. Don't make me ask for more bread. Ensure that there is salt, pepper, and other normal condiments available on my table, etc, etc....<br /><br />Just because they brought my meal to the table does not entitle them to a tip. That is their job. A tip is a gratuity, implying gratitude. Give me something that I need to express gratitude for.<br /><br />If a waiter needs tips, they will earn them. If they are not happy earning whatever wage a waiter makes, they are free to quit, and find a better paying job.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's one reason I don't go out to eat much.<br />I like my money too much to lay it down on a table that someone thinks that I have to cause they waited on me.<br />PHTTT!!!!<br /><br />People wants it to easy nowadays.<br />Carry a little food to me and expect me to pay their electric bill, yea right.<br /><br />Get a real job if you can't make ends meet on what you are earning.<br /><br />Get so tired of hearing, "there ain't no jobs out there"<br />PHTTT!!!! again.<br /><br />No thanks, I will keep what I have worked for in my pocket.

KaGee

Admiral

Simple rule about tipping.... also applicable to other areas of life...<br /><br /> Until you are willing to work for free, don't ask others to do so.

mattttt25

Commander

"a real job". nice sbn, real nice.<br /><br />i pray you have a daughter or granddaughter one day that tries to earn a few extra bucks for school waiting tables.<br /><br />too bad everyone can't get "real jobs" like i'm sure you have in the sticks of kentucky.