HELP with new boat - glasstream 20ccr

Mikeinpalm

Recruit
I am basically new to boating (owned a pontoon before). Looking to buy a Glasstream 2020 20CCR. Please tell me if I can go 10 miles offshore in the Florida Atlantic or so with this?
This is a huge investment for me and I’m nervous. I know it will be a good sandbar and ICW boat… but being able to take my boys to the reefs 10 mile offshore is very important. THANK YOU for any replies.

ahicks

Captain
Clearly the answer is going to depend on weather. I doubt you're going to want to go out when the wind is kicking up a chop.

Second (for me) would be your Nav. equipment. Can you say chart plotter? I wouldn't be without one, and it would have a large enough display where I wouldn't need my glasses to see it. 7" minimum...

Mikeinpalm

Recruit
Clearly the answer is going to depend on weather. I doubt you're going to want to go out when the wind is kicking up a chop.

Second (for me) would be your Nav. equipment. Can you say chart plotter? I wouldn't be without one, and it would have a large enough display where I wouldn't need my glasses to see it. 7" minimum...
Thank you for the reply. Absolutely would pick my days for sure ... and definitely would have a chart plotter. I was just wondering about the boat itself and how it would handle it ... would that style hull be safe?

ahicks

Captain
Thank you for the reply. Absolutely would pick my days for sure ... and definitely would have a chart plotter. I was just wondering about the boat itself and how it would handle it ... would that style hull be safe?
Again, it's about the conditions. We have a 22'deck boat with a nearly flat bottom that's just terrible in anything over an 18" chop, and we go out into the Gulf all the time with that. We used to use a pontoon boat! Difference might be the swells on your side...