Help with DPS-B 1.95 outdrive

boatsaltfun

Cadet
I have the drained drive gear oil in my garage and decided to remeasured how much I had drained. It turns out to be 2.22 liters. So I must have screwed up measuring the first time.

I was under the belief the DPS-B drive has a capacity of 2.7 liters but an online search says its capacity is 2.45 liters. I don't have my manual handy as I left it at the boat. If 2.45 is indeed correct, I believe I am only short by less than a quarter-liter which is about 8 ounces or a quarter of a quart. So the situation may not be as dire as previously thought.

boatsaltfun

Cadet
Alldodge, here is a photo of my TB with the flame arrestor removed.

I tested the high-pressure side of the fuel pump, on the fuel rail. I am only getting 20-22 PSI. I also tested the low-pressure side and that was about 18 PSI. I also notice the fuel pump is whining. I removed the pump and brought it home. I'll take it apart this weekend to see what the problem is.

Attachments

• 20210115_163119.jpg
    20210115_163119.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

alldodge

Staff member
Your low pressure is good, but high is low. The HP pump is most likely your problem. Could also be the fuel pressure regulator which is on the fuel rail (item 22 in above pic)

The pic of the TB means you have a drive by wire control. Sure could use a serial number but we are getting closer

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
So first thing I’d say...I’m sure you don’t fill these from the bottom up like a Mercruiser.
second thing is that if you have scorched the little oil in there... it not likely going to be good news.

boatsaltfun

Cadet
QBhoy,
Yes, Volvos are filled from the bottom up. It is a pain as you need to remove the duo props to do so. The oil did not look scorched to me and I wasn't missing as much as I thought so I think I am okay. Turns out I was missing a 1/4 of a quart. The engine problem was unrelated, I have a bad fuel pump.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
QBhoy,
Yes, Volvos are filled from the bottom up. It is a pain as you need to remove the duo props to do so. The oil did not look scorched to me and I wasn't missing as much as I thought so I think I am okay. Turns out I was missing a 1/4 of a quart. The engine problem was unrelated, I have a bad fuel pump.
Yep...filled from the bottom. I would be worried though if you were down 1/4 of a qt though.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’m maybe out of touch with VP these days not having had one since my early 90’s DP. But they certainly weren’t filled from the bottom on the 290 and DPA/DPb type. Always from the top. Are you guys sure about this ?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
QBhoy,
Ok. Probably I’m out of touch. But 100% the older 290 versions were always from the top.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I’m maybe out of touch with VP these days not having had one since my early 90’s DP. But they certainly weren’t filled from the bottom on the 290 and DPA/DPb type. Always from the top. Are you guys sure about this ?
Absolutely positive. The 290 and older drives are completely different

Starting with the joint venture with OMC on, always from the bottom.

boatsaltfun

Cadet
QBhoy, I am absolutely certain the newer VPS are filled from the bottom.

Alldodge, I've ordered a new fuel pump from Quantum Electric that I'll be installing sometime this week. But first I need to remove the fuel lines, fuel rail, and injectors to clean them out.

alldodge

Staff member
Since your pulling the injectors, you going to have them flow tested along with cleaning?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
What did you pay for the new fuel pump? I have noticed you can buy the whole assembly on ebay for $200 these days, granted they are a knock off, but at least an option to the $1K OEM.
Before I had any problems I took it upon myself to disassemble my pump during an off season and refurbished it, removing the paint from the inner chambers. Five years later, still running strong. I might suggest you consider the same with your old pump and keep it as a back up or sell it .

boatsaltfun

Cadet
Alldodge, I will be sending the injectors to https://highperformanceinjectors.com/ to clean, flow & dynamic test them. I am tempted to buy a new Bosch set (https://www.ebay.com/itm/133366681559) for about the same money.

Brichh1260, I paid $330. I confirmed with Quantum that their pumps are not painted inside (the cause of the whole problem). They also offer a lifetime guarantee on their pumps, if it ever fails, they will exchange it for a new one. Quantum is the only American based company I found that sells aftermarket OEM VP pumps that stand behind their product. I've read mixed results with the Amazon/ebay ~$200 pumps. It seems some people have switched out the pumps without cleaning the lines, rail, and injectors which leads to premature pump failure on any pump. Another option for others is to have Troy at https://mancavemechanic.com/ rebuild the pump, which is $400 plus shipping.

alldodge

Staff member
Never, ever, ever, ever, EVER buy injectors from ebay. I would not even buy them from amazon. Most all of them are old injectors which did not pass testing. There cleaned up and sold as remanufactured. Muy only from VP or from a source which sells 1st rate (Bosch, Delphi and others) and are new. No manufacture I konw of rebuilds them, and even if there is one, not sure I would buy even then

The going rate is about $20 to $25 per injector to clean and flow test. Price should include replacing screen baskets and seals

boatsaltfun

Cadet
Never, ever, ever, ever, EVER buy injectors from ebay. I would not even buy them from amazon. Most all of them are old injectors which did not pass testing. There cleaned up and sold as remanufactured. Muy only from VP or from a source which sells 1st rate (Bosch, Delphi and others) and are new. No manufacture I konw of rebuilds them, and even if there is one, not sure I would buy even then

The going rate is about $20 to $25 per injector to clean and flow test. Price should include replacing screen baskets and seals
Thanks for the tip! I'll go the cleaning route. I am not sure if HPI will replace the screens and seals. Do you have someone to recommend? Do you happen to know what size fuel line disconnect tool I need?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
QBhoy, I am absolutely certain the newer VPS are filled from the bottom.

Alldodge, I've ordered a new fuel pump from Quantum Electric that I'll be installing sometime this week. But first I need to remove the fuel lines, fuel rail, and injectors to clean them out.
You’re right. Bruce confirmed. Apologies for the confusion.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Alldodge, I will be sending the injectors to https://highperformanceinjectors.com/ to clean, flow & dynamic test them. I am tempted to buy a new Bosch set (https://www.ebay.com/itm/133366681559) for about the same money.

Brichh1260, I paid $330. I confirmed with Quantum that their pumps are not painted inside (the cause of the whole problem). They also offer a lifetime guarantee on their pumps, if it ever fails, they will exchange it for a new one. Quantum is the only American based company I found that sells aftermarket OEM VP pumps that stand behind their product. I've read mixed results with the Amazon/ebay ~$200 pumps. It seems some people have switched out the pumps without cleaning the lines, rail, and injectors which leads to premature pump failure on any pump. Another option for others is to have Troy at https://mancavemechanic.com/ rebuild the pump, which is $400 plus shipping.
I sounds like you made a wise choice. For a hundred bucks more to get a guaranteed American made product, probably the better value. I think as long as you clean/change the filter screen you will not need to replace your injectors. I would just swap out the pump and try it, if you still have a problem, then you can invest in new injectors.

boatsaltfun

Cadet
Update: I got busy and almost forgot to update the thread with the conclusion.

I received the cleaned and tested injectors from High-Performance Injectors. They reported the injectors were fine but I had them perform the service anyway (excellent service, highly recommended). I cleaned the fuel lines, rail, and regulator. Installed everything back, including the new pump and sea-trialed. I am happy to report everything worked great. The engine was responsive and the stern drive smooth.

Thanks to everyone, especially Alldodge, who diagnosed the issue quickly and pointed me in the correct direction. Thanks, Alldodge!