Help w/ Livewell project

Mercury13

Seaman Apprentice
Trying to fab a small livewell for some minnows (no fish) and realized I want to use the port side seat that had been hollowed out for storage. Boat is 16' Lowe aluminum jon boat.

Because of its irregular shape it is hard to drop in a small cooler , box etc..
I'm wondering if there is something I can spray in or brush on to seal the bare alum on the inside to use IT as the well.

The archives deal mostly w/ straight up installations involving large coolers or prefabbed boxes.
A photo is attached of the area.
If anyone has any ideas on how to accomplish this, I would really appreciate it. Not afraid to get creative.
I was going to plumb it with the Cabela's kit or similar but I'm also open to suggestions on that.
Thanks alot for the support.

Steve

Attachments

• Lowe_seat2.jpg
    Lowe_seat2.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 0

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Help w/ Livewell project

Don't know if it would work, but what about a Rhino-Liner/Line-X type product. There is a recent thread about these products, and I think I read that some would work for your application.

a70eliminator

Captain

I like fun projects like that, what I would do is use some cardboard and duct tape to design a carboard box that fits perfectly in place, use it for your mold and layup and two or three layers of mat.
Another Idea would be a close fitting cooler lid and all, take a sawzall to it and with the strategic cuts you can munipulate the shape and epoxie the seems. I know easier said then done but when theres a will theres' a way.

Mercury13

Seaman Apprentice

This is the type of thinking I was looking for.
A cardboard mold/template would maximize the space.

The rhino liner would work if I could get someone to do it. (Be great if it came in white)

Been reading about the Gluvit Epoxy but I'm not familiar with it. Is this an option, to coat the inside then add plumbing ?

Steve

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Making a template and forming a box would not work unless you sized the thing to fit through the opening. Remember, there is a ledge to clear. Why not simply use some fiberglass and glass the inside of the compartment. Coat the inside of the compartment with resin and use a plastic bondo spreader to smooth the glass. Then do another side overlapping the corner by an inch or so. Repeat for the other sides and the bottom. Give everything another coat or two of resin. Add the plumbing and go fishing.

Mercury13

Seaman Apprentice

Would the f-glass be resilient to cracking if the compartment was torqued or banged while underway ?
If so, I think this may be the way to go.
Thanks again.

Steve

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Another thing you could do is line that box with styrofoam board first then glass it with poly the same as stated above.

kemo111

Cadet

Check out a paint called Sani-tred used for boat decks, water proofing basements and even to build swimming pools. They sell quarts in the sample section.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

I'm adding one to my boat & will insulate it. You get a mass of water in a box sitting in the sun on deck & your bait will not live long unless you are constantly changing the water to bring in cooler lake water.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If it did, apply resin over the crack and you are done. Do you frequently hit things? I'm pulling your leg but seriously, that compartment is not that big. If the boat torqued enough to crack a layed up glass liner on the hull, there will be other issues.

Mercury13

Seaman Apprentice

The aluminum forming that seat/compartment is a lighter gauge and not very rigid with no stiffeners.
I know its a small area. Maybe I'll reinforce it a little.
Also did some research on Sani-Tred yesterday, a rep is getting back to me today. Plus it comes in white.
I'll post the info. Looks like it will be either this or the glass job.
Thanks.

Steve

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you intend to use a "paint-on" product you need to look carefully at the recessed area that runs on the outside of that compartment. The gaps where the recess passes through the compartment would need to be sealed (again glassed over).

Mercury13

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to those who responded w/ help & ideas. The job is complete and tested this weekend.
I ended up using the Sani-tred, which consists of (2) 2-part mixtures. It was expensive $ 110 for the kit. 2 qts and 2 pints. Add another $30 for pump, pvc & thru hull fitting.
The product is absolutely amazing, however it was very tough to use in this particular installation. I ended up chasing a small leak with 3200 gutter/flashing sealer caulk.

Very glad I went this way over a purchased installation. Thanks again, I will post photos tonight after my camera charges.

Steve

kemo111

Cadet

I am glad it worked for you. I am painting the deck of my 21 foot. I hope I like the stuff as much as you. As you mentioned it is expensive.

Mercury13

Seaman Apprentice

This project wasn't the best application for Sani-tred but I'm still satisfied. I actually made the other compartment watertight also. Usually storage but you never know.
This stuff should be incredible as a deck. I had a small metal mixing tool laid down on concrete with residue on it and had to rip it off the next morning.

Here is a couple pics. Thanks.

Steve

Attachments

• Livewell_port.jpg
    Livewell_port.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Livewell_stbd.jpg
    Livewell_stbd.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Livewell1.jpg
    Livewell1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0

kemo111

Cadet

That bait well looks awesome. do you know about how many gallons it holds. It Did you do much prep work? I feel like i have been sanding for a year straight.

Yeah it is not only tough but flexible. I mixed a small amount to prep a tiny area. I played around with what was left after it dried. I could not believe the amount of flex it had without cracking and it stretches as well. I have never used it till now and i know no one that has painted their deck with it. I am thinking about writing a review after i get it applied. I hope I love it and it lasts for ever. Time will tell