Help removing fuel pickup hose from gas tank

Hit It

Seaman
Hey guys,

I'm trying to troubleshoot some issues I'm having with the engine surging at high RPM's. One of the things I want to check is the little screen on the bottom of the fuel pickup hose down in the gas tank but I can't get the dang thing off. I've taken off the hose that goes from the elbow fitting on top of the tank to my fuel/water separator, but I can't get the elbow fitting to budge. I'm worried that if I apply too much pressure I'm going to break something. Pic below, the fitting I'm trying to remove is the one at the bottom of the picture.

IMG_20120810_141725.jpg

Are these fittings meant to come off? I can wiggle it just a little bit and I can feel the pickup tube in the tank wiggle with it, so they are definitely attached. The larger nut at the base of fitting was easy to loosen up and I've completely unthreaded it. Any advice? Is the elbow fitting threaded the regular way (righty-tighty/lefty-loosy)?

Also, I'm assuming the the metal barbed fitting that is attached to the fuel hose and screws into the elbow fitting is the anti-siphon valve? It has a little ball inside of it. Should I replace that as well? Pic below.

IMG_20120810_141800.jpg

Oh by the way, the brand on the gas tank is Inca. The boat is a '90 Maxum 21' bowrider, 4.3 liter V6 mercruiser with an alpha one outdrive.

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Help removing fuel pickup hose from gas tank

Hey guys,

I'm trying to troubleshoot some issues I'm having with the engine surging at high RPM's. One of the things I want to check is the little screen on the bottom of the fuel pickup hose down in the gas tank but I can't get the dang thing off. I've taken off the hose that goes from the elbow fitting on top of the tank to my fuel/water separator, but I can't get the elbow fitting to budge. I'm worried that if I apply too much pressure I'm going to break something. Pic below, the fitting I'm trying to remove is the one at the bottom of the picture.

View attachment 163445

Are these fittings meant to come off? I can wiggle it just a little bit and I can feel the pickup tube in the tank wiggle with it, so they are definitely attached. The larger nut at the base of fitting was easy to loosen up and I've completely unthreaded it. Any advice? Is the elbow fitting threaded the regular way (righty-tighty/lefty-loosy)?

Also, I'm assuming the the metal barbed fitting that is attached to the fuel hose and screws into the elbow fitting is the anti-siphon valve? It has a little ball inside of it. Should I replace that as well? Pic below.

View attachment 163446

Oh by the way, the brand on the gas tank is Inca. The boat is a '90 Maxum 21' bowrider, 4.3 liter V6 mercruiser with an alpha one outdrive.

Thanks!

Ayuh,.... The hose barb, is in fact the anti-siphon fitting,... If it's clear, 'n workin',... No problem, reuse it...

There probably ain't a screen on the pick-up tube,... But if ya wanta look,....

Put the big nut back on, Tight,...
That's the bulkhead fitting that passes through the tank,...

Then use 2 wrenches, 1 on that big nut, 'n another on the elbow,...
Hold the big nut, 'n turn the elbow, counter-clockwise....
The elbow, 'n the pick-up tube should come out as a unit....

'n I'm bettin' ya find a tube, no screen....

Hit It

Seaman

Okay, I see what you mean Bond-o. I put the big nut back on and tightened it up as tight as I could. When I put the big wrench on the big nut and then try to take the elbow fitting off it still won't budge. In fact, I think I'm moving the entire bulkhead fitting slightly. Are these normally that tough to get out? Maybe put some liquid wrench on it and let it sit for while?

You're probably right about the pickup tube. I couldn't reach the end of it with my fingers through the fuel sender whole so I stuck a wrench down in there and it felt like the end of the tube was rough, like there some kind of screen or something on it. Just trying to cover all my bases troubleshooting this annoying issue and it seems like others on here have had luck trying this.

Bondo

Staff member

Just trying to cover all my bases troubleshooting this annoying issue and it seems like others on here have had luck trying this.

Ayuh,..... Blow through it.....

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is a simple thing to do. Use a aux tank connected to the fuel line and see if you still have the problem. if so then it's the screen at the end of the tube that might be getting clogged as you slush the junk at the bottom of the tank around. I di this and found the screen was getting clogged as I ran with a not full tank.

Gee, this thread brings back memories. When I was rebuilding my Checkmate I just HAD TO see what my fuel pickup tube looked like, just couldn't leave well enough alone. Guess what happened? And when I did finally get it out, with an EZ-OUT ..... no screen.

AIM000437.jpg

Hit It

Seaman

Yeah, I decided to leave well enough alone, glad I didn't end up like metriccrescentwrench there.

I pulled the little filter located where the fuel line goes into the carb and it had a little bit of fine buildup on the screen - like fine sediment. I cleaned all that up so we'll see if that helps out. Thanks for all the advice guys.

I pulled the little filter located where the fuel line goes into the carb and it had a little bit of fine buildup on the screen

Highly recommend a filter/separator, such as a Racor. I like the ones with a clear bowl, but I'm not sure if those are legal for use in an I/O engine compartment or not.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

PB blaster or liquid wrench absolutely.

test with a remote tank

replace the anti-syphon while you're there; they're cheap enough.

If you get it out, see if the pick-up tube is sitting almost on the bottom and if so, shorten it a little; you don't need that last gallon of sludge and that's the first thing going in your engine

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Ahh - - call the tank manufacturer and explain.

Captain Losten Confuzed

Seaman Apprentice

I know this is four days old but I couldn't help noticing that no one mentioned the fuel pump. The pump may seem to be working fine at lower speeds but it maybe be defective and not able to keep up with the higher demand.

just something to consider