HELP! - Port Motor Problems & Stalling. Volvo Penta 4.3OSI-E

frey7190

Cadet
Hi Guys -

I am having a big problem with my Volvo Penta which I am in dire need of help to solve.

My boat is a 2006 Chaparral Signature 290. It has dual 4.3L Volvo Penta OSI-E both with 28 hours on them!
I have used this boat primarily as a "stay-cation" home which I visit on the weekends. I, until recently, hardly took it out.

Now that I am using it I have the following issue:

Port Motor -
- Whine from high pressure fuel pump all the time from idle to WOT.
- The motor idles fine, and I make it out of the channel without issues. However when I get into open water and put the throttle down I cannot jump on the plane. It feels like the motors are holding back. Then within a minute or two of Wide-Open Throttle the Port motor tachometer jumps down to 2k rpm and starts having detonation problems. So I ease off the port throttle and the tach starts to jump from 500-1,500 rpm. After a couple more minutes the engine just shuts off. I try then to restart it but the system disables my command to start it. I have to wait 30-40 minutes to start it. (by that time im back at my slip.) When I do finally manage to start it, it idles perfectly fine like nothing ever happened.

SO... I have done the following:
- Ran a compression test. All cylinders reported 180 Psi.
- Idled it at my slip in Neutral but it doesn't act up. (seems like it is only during load).

I have ordered the following:
- New Oil Filters (for both the port and starboard side)
- New Fuel Filters (again for both motors)
- New Spark Plugs (for both motors)
- Engine Oil (for both motors)

Now here are a couple of things you should know:
- It has 1/4 of gas that was from 2008. I just filled it to the top last month and put Fuel-Stabil in it to help with the bad gas.
- This boat only has so little hours it hasn't ever had a major service.

Do you guys have any idea what this could be?

Thanks,
James