Help, New Motor is much slower!

Hank426

Cadet
Re: Help, New Motor is much slower!

Actually my motor was a left over that was already on a new package deal 14' Aluminum Lowe boat. I measured the shaft and it is a 20". Mercury makes a 15" in this model and thats probably what the dealer should have put on. Anyway, I'm looking into the CMC model 65012manual jackplate, it's has 5" of vertical lift. Any thoughts on this jackplate or any other?

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

it will do just what you need it to do...

Philster

Captain

5" will help. I wish you had the chance go higher, because my gut tells me higher would be better, given the low deadrise, as the AV plate can be up several inches above the bottom when deadrise angle is shallow.

5" is probably 'sufficient'.

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

The motor can be mounted high on the jack plate to make up for a couple more inches as well.
Might be able to mount the jack plate a bit higher itself.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

:)Hopefully with no rooster tail splash. But then again all measurements all calculated.
Hank426 has owned the motor since the end of April, be hard to return without a fight or a Muscular son

MWG2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It looks to me that your engine has an extension on the lower unit. It you take that off and get the shorter driveshaft you would be good to go!

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

It looks to me that your engine has an extension on the lower unit. It you take that off and get the shorter driveshaft you would be good to go!
It would cost more for the drive shaft than a jack plate (the shift rod would have to be changed as well)... And if he wants to upgrade to a new boat (wich are almost all 20" transoms now) he'll already have the motor.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

keep in mind, depending on what jackplate you get, it will give you more setback. Meaning you can raise the motor even higher. 5 inches may not be enough if you can't mount it higher.

BonairII

Commander

If he gets more setback with the jackplate....won't that mean that he won't have to raise it as much? Or do I have it backward?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you have it backwards. the more setback, the higher you run the prop.

Hank426

Cadet

I ordered the Bob's Manual convertable 4-n-1 jack plate on Dhadley's recommendation. The plate does 2.5" or 5" setback and many other mounting options so hopefully I can make it work for me. Again thank you guys for all the help on this. I'll keep you posted.