busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help, New Motor is much slower!

The AV plate should be level with the bottom of the hull or slightly above it

Philster

Captain

It's buried.

On a boat like that, the AV plate should be an inch or two above the bottom (maybe more. Can't find a pic of the stern. If there is a pad or very shallow V, the AV plate should sit even higher) Bottom is a good starting point, but it's probably best a little above the bottom.

It's killing performance like that. Being off by 4-6" is just huge. You prop is buried/smothered and straining your engine.

Can you raise the engine's vertical height? If so, then how far?

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

cant guarentee results on yours but my 17' fish and ski was having trouble reaching 25 with a 50hp. its a lil underpowered too but it is the factory motor. thought it should be a lil faster. dropped from a 13.5 pitch to 11.5 and i gained 5 mph. i went from a doggy 21-23 to 26-27, the 13 was to much bite lugging my motor. try the prop section. (steelspike//member) really helped me out.

sounds like you need to raise you rpm's to get the best proformance. props usually gain speed with a higher pitch but get out of hole slower. but on a under powered boat it will actually bog your motor and rob you of power and speed. going down on pitch not only gained me speed it really pops up on plane faster as well.

Hank426

Cadet

Yeah the engine mount is all the way down against the top of the transom. (thats how the dealer installed it). There are two holes that the mount could be raised bringing it up a couple inches.

Philster

Captain

cant guarentee results on yours but my 17' fish and ski was having trouble reaching 25 with a 50hp. its a lil underpowered too but it is the factory motor. thought it should be a lil faster. dropped from a 13.5 pitch to 11.5 and i gained 5 mph. i went from a doggy 21-23 to 26-27, the 13 was to much bite lugging my motor. try the prop section. (steelspike//member) really helped me out.

Umm.... kinda been there; done that. He's got other issues.

Wouldn't want to speak for Steely, but unless he has a magic prop wand, he's gonna be on this issue working with the engine height problem.

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ya while i was typing i missed the av plate being so low. sounds like it needs raised. motor that is.

Philster

Captain

Yeah the engine mount is all the way down against the top of the transom. (thats how the dealer installed it). There are two holes that the mount could be raised bringing it up a couple inches.

Raise it. But, could you measure how far up it's really going to go? :confused:

kfa4303

Banned

Sounds way too low in the water to me too coupled with the fact the new motor is heavier than the old one. As previously stated the motor's anti-vent plate, found just above the prop, should be level or 1"-2" above the bottom (keel) of the boat. It should also break the surface of the water when on plane. You may need a jackplate of some sort to raise the motor to the optimal height. There are some great ones available online for purchase, or you can make your own rather easily using aluminum angle and SS hardware. Do a search here in the forms for examples. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Hank426

Cadet

The current bolt holes and mount will only let me raise it an inch. Looks like I'd have to drill new holes through the transom to gain more adjustment. I'm gonna look into a jackplate now. Thankyou for all the help on this.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

The current bolt holes and mount will only let me raise it an inch. Looks like I'd have to drill new holes through the transom to gain more adjustment. I'm gonna look into a jackplate now. Thankyou for all the help on this.

Good catch Philster. I am surprised your not getting water splashing into the boat. If you bought the motor from a Merc dealer go back and asked why your motor was not installed properly and if or the right length shaft. If they were experienced they could tell by just looking at it.
Try and post some pictures of the back end.

Hank426

Cadet

As it turns out, my merc dealer and his mechanic is useless. They are a very small dealership and appear to have little knowledge of setting up a boat motor. Many things were wrong when I got the boat back, including the fact that the steering linkage bar was upside down and nothing was tightend properly. At this point the less they do the better. The engine is the same length shaft as the original merc 25hp (15") but the original had a different mount (non power trim) and I remember there was a gap between the mount and the top of the transom.
I'll try to get some pics posted soon.
Any suggestions for a jackplate, hopefully something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? thanks.

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

it sounds like your boat may have a 15" transom...
look at the transom on the boat in this tread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=546069
You could do something like this for pretty cheap
photo0198n.jpg

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

How much do you need to raise the motor? On my 16ft 50 Merc I bought it raised about an inch and a half with a 1" half by 1" half inch wood wedge across the top of the transom with the motor sitting on it. I had no problems with it at all.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you have a long shaft motor on a short shaft boat.

I would complain to the dealer and get them to provide a short shaft motor.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Do they make them shorter than 15"?
Ya. try and post some pictures. Something does not jive.

crackedglass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After reading through this thread, I was thinking the same thing. There's no way to mount a 15" shaft motor 6" low unless they cut off the top brackets. ( I had to mention this because I've seen it done, on brand new motors).

I had a guy here the other day with a brand new Mercury 15hp on a 15' tinny, the dealer that sold him the motor for his 20" transom boat sold him a 15" shaft motor. Since the 15hp is a clamp on only motor, they took a saw and cut a 5" notch in his transom, smeared the whole area with 5200 sealer, then cut two huge chunks out of the splashwell to allow the clamps to drop through the pan.
They then took the fuel hose from the new motor and cut the end, installing it between an existing fuel filter and the motor. They left the old primer bulb between the tank and filter, and another right at the tank, a 6 gallon portable at the front of the boat.
Both old primer bulbs were leaking, the fuel hoses in the boat were rotted, and the motor was now mounted too low, with the AV plate below the bottom by an inch. The boat did no more than 12 mph, with 6 gallon of gas and myself in an empty hull.
I raised the motor for a test run, it gained 9 mph just by getting the AV plate above the bottom of the boat. I swapped the prop for a lower pitch, and gained 2 more mph. He was happy with running 22-23 mph in that boat. He's bringing it back so I can fix the splashwell, transom, and install a proper transom bracket to mount the motor properly. We'll deal with maybe better matching the prop after the motor is mounted properly since the set back created by a transom bracket may again change the required prop size and pitch. So much for the dealer's free installation. Someone needs to take away their Sawzall and tin snips.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Ummmmm, is that a 20 in shaft motor on a 15 inch transom (or 25" on a 20")?

jestor68

Commander

That motor is available in 15 and 20 inch models, according the the Merc web site. It sure sounds as if your dealer may have put the wrong motor on your boat.

What is the height of your transom?

Philster

Captain

The math sure says it's the wrong length.

The dealer didn't sound too sharp from jump street offering a 9p prop as a fix.