help identifying and starting merc outboard 55

thejed72

Recruit
Joined
Jun 3, 2005
Messages
3
I'm new to the boating world and need a little help getting my boat going. I found a plate with "559hg" and below that "5963". This boat started out as a father/son project from a guy next to where I worked, but the father blew out a hip and it was never finished. They sure got it torn apart though! The cables are there and hung kind of loosely, the throttle assembly is probably put together wrong, and the only thing good I see is the starter pops up when I turn the key, but nothing happens. Battery is probably weak, but I'm not really sure what size is correct for motor, and not sure if I can "jump" it like a car. Not sure where to start. I need a manual, I know that, but I guess I'd need to know what motor/year I have first. Car motors I can figure out. Boat motors I'm lost for now.
 

IBFishing

Seaman
Joined
May 7, 2005
Messages
64
Re: help identifying and starting merc outboard 55

Hello and Welcome!<br /><br />You might try finding a serial number on the motor and posting it here. It should be stamped on the block somewhere. If you find the serial number, the people here could help with the year of the motor. Also you may see if you can turn the flywheel by hand, to make sure motor is free and not locked-up. I would put a charger on the battery, it is probably dead if it hasn't been used in a while.
 

Laddies

Banned
Joined
Sep 10, 2004
Messages
12,218
Re: help identifying and starting merc outboard 55

Are you sure that engine is a mercury the model number is off a 70 or 80s vintage Chrysler 55
 

thejed72

Recruit
Joined
Jun 3, 2005
Messages
3
Re: help identifying and starting merc outboard 55

Laddies, you're right, my error! I meant Chrysler, not Mercury. Got my "cars" confused. I'll check out the Chrysler page here, if there is one. If there isn't any suggestions?
 

Bear

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Mar 1, 2001
Messages
1,627
Re: help identifying and starting merc outboard 55

Chrysler model numbers<br />559 HA-HH, H8, H9, H0, H1 (55 hp) 1970-81<br />So a 559HG is a 1976 model
 

Bear

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Mar 1, 2001
Messages
1,627
Re: help identifying and starting merc outboard 55

I don't know if this is ok to post but there is a parts list for your outboard here: Parts list
 
Top