Help Identify my wood boat

Titus

Recruit
Can anyone help me identify this boat? The person I purchased it from said it was a 1956 Mastercraft. After looking for pictures of one I found that master craft started in 1968. Any information would be appreciated
001.jpg

011.jpg

009.jpg

006.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Help Identify my wood boat

You need only post this once and not in multiple areas. I deleted your other post ...... You must leave a space between photos ... I fixed the above ;)

Welcome to iboats!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Neat old boat. And I think that is a Tee-Nee trailer?

I would bet money that is a home built boat from plans. The hull shape is simple, and the way the bow is shaped is common to home built plywood boats where there are few if any compound curves. The windshield frame would be a good clue, but it looks like its missing. Do you have the frame?

There is some serious delamination of the plywood in the lower transom, and also in various other areas along the water line.

If this were a production wood boat, I would expect to see more rib structure, and multiple plank hull with compound curves.

Look in Popular Mechanics magazines from that time period to see if you find a boat plan that matches.

There is some metal emblem looking item on the inside of the transom. What does it say?

Good luck restoring the boat!

Titus

Recruit

I don?t have the frame. What should it look like, I would like to build one.
On the metal emblem all I can read is ?good voyage? it looks like sant? Michal and some other thing.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Windshield frames were basic wood frame with glass panes. Common was a pair of rectangular windows, set at a slight V and slightly inclined, with two trailing triangle side windows for support. Sometimes they were all rectangular and angular looking, others had a slight curve or bow to the top of the windshield and side windows.

Get some cardboard boxes and start cutting the taping up some shapes to see how high you want to make it, curved or straight, flat across or V.

A piece of 3/4" ply would work well. Cut the 4 individual frames (2 side and two front or 1 front, depending on your design). Make the frames about 2 to 3 inches wide all around for strength. Run a router around the back side of the frames so 1/4" plexy can be cut and inserted. Caulk the glass in. Marine caulk (there is marine silicone - check out the 3m website for marine sealants) will work to set the plexy glass in. Or get laminated safety glass, a glass shop can cut to your templates.

Edge band the plywood with molding or veneer, stain and varnish, or coat with polyester resin.

Titus

Recruit

Does anyone know where I can get some pictures of a similar one, fixed up?