Help fiberglass repair

dmweyrauch

Cadet
Have a 1984 sunbird 20 foot, The fiberglass is cracked through the hull in the front bottom along a raised area (keel) crack is 1/4" wide 6" long like someone hit a big rock, this area I can get to the inside in the ski comp. I have tried bondo fiberglass polyester with fine glass mating, today in 5' waves it cracked again crack is a narrow crack 6" long, how can I fix this again, is there a better method? Please help I'm at wits end. Thanks Dan

Kiwifisher

Seaman
Re: Help fiberglass repair

Hi Dan. Sounds like a stress fracture if it cracked again. Check how solid your keel and stringers are before you do anything further. Only if they are not rotted should u proceed to fix. To fix you'll first need to grind the surrounding area on the inside down to the original mat. I would open up the crack a bit more as well. (length ways as well as width. You should then layer the cloth on the inside starting with a small piece that the fills the crack, going progresively larger with each layer. Do at least 3 -5 layers on the inside. Then do on the outside. Once dry, sand and touch up with gell coat on outside.

This is just a brief outline of the work involved. You need to do some research and reading and follow the best practise guidelines to working with fibreglass. There are plenty of very comprehensive post covering all these aspects in this forum.

Good luck and don't get too disheartened, the beauty of fibreglass is that it can always be repaired without great difficulties.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The method shown in the video will work, but is overly complicated and not the way it would normally be done.

To start with don't cut a hole, its a waste of time and creates more work.

Since you can get to the inside, grind the area as shown in the vid, but do it on the inside, not the out side, and remember don't cut or enlarge the hole. Use a grinder with 24 or 36 grit paper, the type of pad and paper shown in the vid will typically catch the edge and self destruct at the most inopportune time and possibly launch the grinder across the room. Grind it thin, but don't enlarge the hole or sand through the hull.

Now you have a small hole, or actually in your case a crack, not much of a difference though. Put a piece of tape over the outside, clear packing tape works well, but most any tape will do.

Glass the inside with enough layers to about match what was there to start with, but going thicker won't hurt anything. Don't worry about making the glass match the tapered area too much unless it will be visible. You do need to sand any surface that will have glass applied to it though.

When that's hard, pull the tape off and get the grinder out again, a sander like they showed will work for this, but a small grinder will work just as well. Grind away any of the remaining glass on the outside that is in bad shape, depending on the reason for the hole or crack, there may be a lot of damaged glass, or very little. Damaged glass looks white, or very light, good glass is normally an amber or brown color.

The damaged glass you need to grind away on the outside should be very thin because you will have removed most of it from the inside. Many times you are just doing a small cosmetic repair at this point, because 95% of the work was done on the inside.

Add a layer or two of glass to replace what you sanded off, then sand and fair as needed to make the surface look like you want it to.

Now you can use gel coat or paint to finish the job.

You can use epoxy or polyester resin to do it, either one will work fine.

dmweyrauch

Cadet

Thanks for all the great info, What is the best firberglass resen and mat to use?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for all the great info, What is the best firberglass resen and mat to use?

It depends on which type of resin you end up using.

With polyester you need to use mat as the first layer and then between each layer of woven or stitched fabric. The standard mat and roving you can easily find will work fine.

With epoxy you don't need to use mat.

Don't stress over the exact glass used, while some types can build more strength with less weight, it will make little difference in a repair like this.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Have a 1984 sunbird 20 foot, The fiberglass is cracked through the hull in the front bottom along a raised area (keel) crack is 1/4" wide 6" long like someone hit a big rock, this area I can get to the inside in the ski comp. I have tried bondo fiberglass polyester with fine glass mating, today in 5' waves it cracked again crack is a narrow crack 6" long, how can I fix this again, is there a better method? Please help I'm at wits end. Thanks Dan

Hello m8...

erm.. That tube is a joke first off...

second.. Can you post some pics please :)

third.. your going to grind..glass..and grind some more..then glass..

There is only one method for a crack in the boat...Inside and Outside lams ( depending on where it is..might be better for you to do an outside first..then and inside ).

Pics please..

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep YD is correct. I posted the wrong video. I meant to post this one from an iBoat member. It is NOT 100% what you need but much closer to the technique required for fixing your problem. Sorry for the wrong post!:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzOMlMzrLoE

Pics would help us to help you.

I'm just sayin...:D

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

In the current vid..he has no intention of outside glass.. that is a no no.. IMHO..

You can use tape and cardboard..or formica for the shape for the outside.

I would grind and bevel outside ( If it were a flat spot ) first..then lam the inside IMO.. the outside would be EZ to fair and gel/paint..

YD.