Help! Evinrude 70hp 1990

kakelaken

Recruit
Hi, have a issue i cant solve so iam now turning to the memers of this forum instead :)

My engine has very High idle, wont come down at all, think its about 1200rpm, so cant really put in gear without risking damaging the engine.

What i have done so far.
1. Cleaned the carburettors
2. Checked so fuel is coming to carburettors
3. Checked so carburettors butterflies are completly closed
4. Removed linkage
5. Changed Sparkpluggs
6. Changed VRO pump to regular gaspump (New)
7. Went trough gaslines for plugs or leaks.
8. Compression tested engine
Cyl 1 100psi
Cyl 2 100psi
Cyl 3 90psi
So vacumleaks feels out of the question.

The only thing i can now think of is that maby Stator and Trigger have some fault, but dont know, any ideas?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If you can not adjust idle stop screw to slow it down then check flywheel key.-----And with those compression numbers I would take the head off to inspect cylinders.----And does tell tale hose come off a fitting on the side of the block or the top ?

kakelaken

Recruit
If you can not adjust idle stop screw to slow it down then check flywheel key.-----And with those compression numbers I would take the head off to inspect cylinders.----And does tell tale hose come off a fitting on the side of the block or the top ?
What is flywheel key?

Yes hose comes out of a fitting on the side of the block, important?

tphoyt

Ensign
The flywheel key is under the big nut on top of the flywheel. You will need a puller to remove the flywheel and check the key.
The key keeps the flywheel alignment on the crank in check. If the key shears your timing will be off. You will only be able to see half the key under the nut so the flywheel must be removed to check it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There was a service bulletin that came out in 1994 to move the fitting to the top of the block !!----I suggest you look into the water pump kit that has the instructions to move it.---And other cooling system modification.---Part #432955 factory parts are best.