Help Again

RabC

Cadet
Anyone know how to split the engine on a Johnson 150hp v6 outboard? My dad has the gearbox out already its the bit above that?

Thanks

Clairex

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help Again

What year motor?

What exactly are you trying to do?

RabC

Cadet

Hi

I think it is a 1976. The seriel number is on one of my previous posts.

It is leaking water so he needs to take it to bits to fix the seal

Clairex

CATransplant

Admiral

Any time you start a new thread, you need to identify your outboard, preferably with year and model number. Asking the volunteer helpers here to go hunt down some post you made months ago is not such a good idea.

Then, you need to describe the problem in detail. Where is water leaking on the outboard? You don't say. You say your father has pulled the "gearbox." Do you mean by that that he has removed the lower unit, as he would to replace the water pump impeller?

We're not there. We can't see the engine. We don't know where the water is leaking, so we can't offer much in the way of suggestions. We don't even know what part you're trying to remove.

Fill us in with the details.

RabC

Cadet

No need for the nastyness! I didnt say they had to go looking for my old posts i said it was a 1976 i thought and that the seriel number was on my previous posts.

The water is leaking between the bottom of the engine and the exhaust part below it.

He has removed the gearbox which was below the exhaust part.

CATransplant

Admiral

No nastiness intended. I'd like to help, but there's not enough information. I'm just trying to help you get the help you're after. The more information you supply the more likely you will be to get the answers you need.

So far, we only know that the outboard leaks water. We don't even know where it's leaking.

I have to tell you that a lot of the most helpful people around here just skip threads like this one. I'm trying to get you to tell us the information needed to answer your question.

I say things as they are. That's not nasty. That's advice.

CATransplant

Admiral

OK. That's probably the gasket between the powerhead and the exhaust housing leaking. I believe that replacing that gasket requires removing the powerhead, as it does on most outboards. Not a quick job, by any means, and it involves quite a bit of work.

Your service manual will describe the operation. It's too complex to describe on this forum, and needs the photos in the manual. If you have no service manual, I do not recommend going any further until you have it.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Ok, now what is it you are attempting to do? Remove the powerhead?? If so, detailed instructions are in a shop manual, available thru this site ... see above. We don't act as a shop manual substitute.

RabC

Cadet

Well as iv said above it is leaking between the engine and the exhaust.

My dad says the outboard is split into 3 sections engine at the top, exhaust then gearbox.

He has the gearbox out but cant separate the exhaust part from the engine part.

Thats all he can tell me as he doesnt know about boats much

CATransplant

Admiral

Well as iv said above it is leaking between the engine and the exhaust.

My dad says the outboard is split into 3 sections engine at the top, exhaust then gearbox.

He has the gearbox out but cant separate the exhaust part from the engine part.

Thats all he can tell me as he doesnt know about boats much

If he has no service manual, then he's taking on a job that's too big, unless he has lots of experience with large outboards. He's going to need lifting equipment to remove the powerhead on that V6, and all the instructions that are in the manual.

You can buy a copy of that manual right here on iboats.com. Just click this link and find your outboard:

http://www.iboats.com/Johnson_Outbo...Manuals/dm/category_id.251023--view_id.251023

Frankly, I wouldn't take the job on myself. I don't have the lifting equipment. The dealer does, along with the expertise to do the job efficiently and correctly. You might suggest to your father that he may well be in over his head on this repair.

CATransplant

Admiral

I just checked, and there was no 150 hp Johnson made in 1976. So, we're back to the beginning on this question. Please go get the model number and post it here, so we can tell you what engine you actually have. You can't get the manual without knowing what engine you're working on.

RabC

Cadet

The seriel number is J0003182 and the model number is 200649s

Claire

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

That is a 76 200 hp. I thought I recognized ur name from before. I have had a couple of these motors, and just got rid of my last manual last week, it is too bad, I could of sent it to your father for cheap.

Could you ask him why he believes that the exhaust gasket is leaking. Possible to post any pics? There are other scenarios that are possible, with much less work.

RabC

Cadet

That is a 76 200 hp. I thought I recognized ur name from before. I have had a couple of these motors, and just got rid of my last manual last week, it is too bad, I could of sent it to your father for cheap.

Could you ask him why he believes that the exhaust gasket is leaking. Possible to post any pics? There are other scenarios that are possible, with much less work.

Ok thanks for that nw to find a manual

I cant post pics 2 nite but il see if i can get some 2moro when i finish work. There is water pouring out from there.

Clairex

CATransplant

Admiral

Model 200649S is a 1976 Evinrude 200 hp. Not a Johnson. Not 150 hp. That will help you find a manual. It may be that someone has put a Johnson cowling on that outboard from another model V6. The 150hp started in 1978. It's a common thing.

For Evinrude outboard manuals for your 200, go here:

http://www.iboats.com/Evinrude_200_...4945868--**********.111068387--view_id.439492

There are at least four gaskets that could be involved. As I said, it's not a small job.

RabC

Cadet

Right

Ignore everything i said my dad has spoken to the guy he got the boat from and the numbers are: J150TLCUR and R7495887

Claire

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

That makes it an 87

guess I can scrap the instructions I have been typing lol :(