Help a newbe with a project boat

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice
Hi to all and hope I can find some help here with my project.

I was just given a 1975 Boston Whaler Montauk 17 foot fiberglass boat that has been sitting for the past few years while the owner was sick. He has passed and I now have his boat.

I am a very handy fellow with enough tools and skills to rebuild Rome but not in 7 days. I am also retired and on a limited income which is why I am here.

I am going to need some direction with my project, not so much how to but where to find the stuff I will need.

My new boat sat in a back yard and was uncovered for 3-4 year and was never used. I got all the leaves and sticks free with the boat and have it cleaned out and ready for some restoration. The hull ios in good condition and the 90 HP Evinrude and 15 HP Evinrude kicker appear to be OK after some TLC.

What I do see right off is the steering and control cables to the 90 are frozen and will need to be replaced. Are there places to buy good used stuff reasonably or do I just go to the local marina and pay the full freight and mark up? What info will I need to try to find these cables, length? Engine size and year? Boat size, year and engine?

I will get into engine run later but for now I have to get the cables functional so it can steer and the forward, reverse and throttle will work. All are rusted frozen right now.

I have excellent mechanical abilities and have owned and maintained many boats but have been in dry dock for over 10 years and I hope you guys might guide and old sailor, USN Engineman from the early 70s to the right places to find the stuff I will need. I have a nice lake right up the road and a bunch of neglected fishing gear from my days up on Lake Ontario and finally some time on my hands to go fishing.

I could not afford this boat if I wanted it but my buddies widow wanted me to have it and get it out of the yard so she didn't have a constant reminder.

It is not for sale, I will not flip it for bucks but I do hope to get it lake worthy in the next few months so I will have a good fishing boat to enjoy.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help a newbe with a project boat

Welcome to iboats!

As for cables, you should be able to find them online at most online boating stores, including here on iboats or even ebay. It would also be advisable, if you haven't done so already, to visit some local marinas to ask some questions as they have probably dealt with similar issues.

Good luck with the boat and be sure to post some pictures when you get a chance.

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Big red. Lots of work here and I am almost embarrassed to post pics from when I picked it up. No sense in crying about what I have no control over though.

Here are a few picks of the mess I inherited.

100_0422.jpg

100_0424.jpg

100_0425.jpg

Gary

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You cannot go wrong with a free boston whaler! That will be a very cool fishing boat.

Iboats here has some of the best prices for boat parts. Ebay and craigslist are the best bets for used parts.

Good luck with the restore, and keep the pictures coming!

Revenge

Seaman

That boat is a thing of beauty if you ask me. People call the older Whaler models the classic design. You would be surprised to see how many people want one.
I personally own a Montauk and can tell you first hand that it?s a very versatile boat. The only issue you may have with this hull is the weight of the 15 hp Kicker combined with the 90 hp. Most Montauk owners stay under the 8hp. At WOT the Evinrude 90 hp should reach 40 MPH, but she will suck down the gas.

Does the boat have a deck that extends from the console to the bow? If so, not many have them.

Do yourself a favor and check out ContinousWave.com, and WhalerCentral.com. They are sticky BW.

Congratulation on your BW, Don.

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don. I am not too interested in going fast and suspect the 15 HP kicker will get more use than the 90.

By a deck forward of the CC do you mean a molder fiberglass insert that has side storage and a large center storage area covered by Teak hatches?

It has this and I have it removed at present to replace the rotted wood it attaches to. I am kicking around in my head right now weather I like this piece or if I like the boat without it.

100_0423.jpg

Gary

Huron Angler

Admiral

Congratulations on the free Whaler:)

There are many jealous boaters reading this wishing it was them, I'm sure.

Look forward to the restoration, good luck to ya!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

HI.....WELCOME TO I BOATS.
and thank you for your service.

You cannot go wrong with a free boston whaler!

Iboats here has some of the best prices for boat parts. Ebay and craigslist are the best bets for used parts.

iboats is a GREAT store

That boat is a thing of beauty if you ask me. People call the older Whaler models the classic design. You would be surprised to see how many people want one.

Congratulations on the free Whaler:)
There are many jealous boaters reading this wishing it was them, I'm sure.
!

dont be worried about the pics and condition of the craft.
there aint none free boats that dont have critters living in them !

lol i got my boat out of a farmers feild...
as you can tell you scored.

as far as the cables....you can un stick them by using wd 40 at the ends and working them back and forth.....(while you are waiting for the new cables to arrive.
as far as your cable legnth.....you have the cables....so you have the measurements!

if you get stuck....just post here....and we can help....cheers
oops

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Oops and everyone for the warm welcomes.

The cables are shot and the plastic sheaths are cracked and cut in many places. These are probably the originals and at least 35 years old so replacements are in order.

I am sure by the time I get this sea worthy there will be nothing free about it.

I need the center console seat cushion and don't know which way to go with it. Take it to a auto upholsterer or try to find a decent used one????

I'll have holes to fill from antennas and electronics that I will not be replacing. I guess i will be learning some about fiberglass and gel coats.

Electrical wires through the tunnel are a rats nest and probably in need of total replacement. I am glad it is a pretty basic boat and looks like it should be a fairly easy resto.

Gary

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If you need wire...... I just found out that my local Interstate Battery store stocks marine tinned wire at a sweet price.

Hmmmmm you are not far from Port Jervis..... used to pick up cases of vitamin G ( Genesee Cream Ale) there LOL I hated the stuff but my hunting partner's liked it.

Oops is probably one of the best people here and always gives straight advice.

Bob_VT

Staff member

When you go to pull that steering cable...... depending on the design..... if you do not have enough room to pull the ram you will have to unbolt the motor and slide it over. Some of them can be a PITA and even require a sawsall for the real stubborn ones.

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice

LOL, We called it Genny Screamers and for good reason!

I'm not sure what has to come out of the tube that goes through the engine pivot. I relieved the bar to the engine and now I have a SS rod with the flat connector that looks as though it should all come out. I relieved the cable nut on the other side and I can only get about 6 inches of the inner rod out but the SS on the other side is not coming out. Not too sure i should pound on it with a brass hammer or not.

Gary

Bob_VT

Staff member

Yes the steering goes through the tilt tube and is only connected by the one big nut on the cable. Yes, it may have to be pounded out...... some people have used an air chisel.

That is probably 95% of the steering problem..... I have seen them salvaged once the tube is cleaned out.

Revenge

Seaman

Gamalot, That indeed is the forward deck I was referring to. Very unique, it provides storage the Montauk lacks. Your comment about getting it sea worthy made me laugh. It?s not uncommon for me to pull my drain plug and let the boat fill with water to allow my kids to play in it. It seems to stop at about 2-3? for some reason. A person down the road from me has a 1982 model 25? Outrage with its keels split open and he still takes it out. Trust me, you boat is sea worthy as it sits.
When you encounter a following sea is when you will notice the effect of the addition weight of your kicker, but not to worry, she?s not going to sink.

Once she all shined up, realization will set in with what your where given.

Best of luck, Don.

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Revenge. As you said, I am pretty sure the boat will float right now but until I get the steering, throttle and shift cables replaced and the 90 HP running it will remain on the trailer. I could easily be twice as far in the clean up except for all the searching for these cables. In all the places they have numbers, most cannot be read. Places that sell these cables show some pictures of the ends but none look like what I have. Boston Whaler refers me to here and other sites and claim they don't have the info I need.

I would rather be getting dirty doing the clean up but instead I am stuck here wearing out my two typing fingers.

The good news is that both of the fuel tanks do hold water and don't appear to be shot. One is a Mirax and the other is a Tempo and both need new caps and paint. I did find a good VRO oil tank to replace my cracked one.

Gary

Bob_VT

Staff member

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice

Here is where my confusion comes in. I think these are Universal cables and I have to remove the ends and other parts to put them on the new cables.

Here is the engine end.

100_0434.jpg

And this is the shifter end.

100_0433.jpg

Measuring the overall length will be simple once I figure out what style the cables are.

Gary