What would it take to crack a boats hull? & flip over

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebas54

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi I have a 1980 22 foot aquasport cuddy cabin.

I was told to take it easy on waves and to not let the boat bang to much because I could cause the hull to crack or break.

This is concerning me because I pound on the wave frequently.

Is this true?
What does it take to break a boat.

Also, on a side note, How big of a wave would it take to flip this boat over if it were hit on its side while anchored? There are always big boat that come to close and cause massive wakes. This is also concerning me.

Thanks

rdnk_4_lf

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: What would it take to crack a boats hull? & flip over

well a cuddy cabin is a big boat right you see these bass fishermen hitting waves on these big lakes at 70 80 mph so if a 21 ft bass boat can take 3 and 4 foot waves then depending on where your at it wold have to be a big wave and you would have to be going pretty fast to bust your hull and as deep as that thing sets isn the water it would have to be a huge wave to knock it over

tommays

Admiral

It depends on the boat :)

BUT make no mistake everything has a usefull lifespan and the harder you use it the shorter it will be ;)

And for the most part all of us are using low cost boats (built to price point that supports mass production) because that is what fits are price range

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you dropped the boat from 20 feet it wont break,the hull wont crack...what will happen is bolted on items such as engine's , console , windshield..that will break loose. As for waves flipping the boat,perhaps,but not with another boats wake,at least no wake where you anchor..unless its a shipping lane, also when you anchor you should have the bow aimed at on coming waves..wind ect..it may take two anchors,one rear one forward.Boats are responsible for there wake,and unless you anchor in very busy places,oncoming boats are SUPPOSED to slow as they pass.

sebas54

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi, Thanks for all the info.

I boat in NY the Long Island Sound and there are alot of inconsiderate boaters with massive boats. Last weekend I was sitting in the middle of the sound and a huge 50' boat circles me at full throttle. The wake was at least 5 or six feet high and came from all directions, everything on the boat was fly including me and my girlfriend. It was very scary and i didn't know what to do. Anyways, We didn't flip but it seemed very close.

Thank you.

Wrong. See my picture below. Last year my wife and I were boating through bad weather (trapped on the far side of a big bay). We were going across the waves and hit a really big one. She almost went overboard and all my gear flew around in the boat. We motored over to a mid-bay island for cover and noticed the boat filling with water. Luckily it was leaking barely less than my bilge pump could handle but I still had to get it back on the trailer. I got it welded the next day and it's held ever since. It was about a four inch gash on the hull, right next to the keel.

This is a 16.5 foot mid-80s Fisher boat with a 1979 Evinrude 35hp motor.

Attachments

• Honeymoon 063-4 (small).jpg
    Honeymoon 063-4 (small).jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 2

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When and if that should ever happen again write down the name of the vessel and the port its from ex:rum runner,long island,ny..or the registration #'s,and hail the Coast Guard on channel 16..REPORT THEM!!!tell the coasties you were in peril and danger of being swamped.Regardless of the situation,the other vessel is always responsible for there wake,that means if you were swamped, they pay! and then try to hail the offending vessel calling them by name,tell the captain you reported them,at least there reply will be monitored by the coasties.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wrong. See my picture below. Last year my wife and I were boating through bad weather (trapped on the far side of a big bay). We were going across the waves and hit a really big one. She almost went overboard and all my gear flew around in the boat. We motored over to a mid-bay island for cover and noticed the boat filling with water. Luckily it was leaking barely less than my bilge pump could handle but I still had to get it back on the trailer. I got it welded the next day and it's held ever since. It was about a four inch gash on the hull, right next to the keel.

This is a 16.5 foot mid-80s Fisher boat with a 1979 Evinrude 35hp motor.

Capt, correct me if i'm wrong but yours is aluminum,so theres rivets,and the question was relating to fiberglass.

CATransplant

Admiral

I boat in NY the Long Island Sound and there are alot of inconsiderate boaters with massive boats. Last weekend I was sitting in the middle of the sound and a huge 50' boat circles me at full throttle. The wake was at least 5 or six feet high and came from all directions, everything on the boat was fly including me and my girlfriend. It was very scary and i didn't know what to do. Anyways, We didn't flip but it seemed very close.

Thank you.

Wow! What that person did was highly illegal, besides being unsafe in the extreme. The Coast Guard is the patrolling authority in Long Island Sound, I believe. Do you have a VHF radio on board? I'd have reported the incident to the Coast Guard, with as much information as I had available, including the name of that boat, your GPS position, and the heading taken by the offending boat.

You weren't likely to capsize, but it would have been very uncomfortable, for sure. People like the ones operating that boat need to experience a Coast Guard boarding. That would be great fun to watch. No doubt, the operator was drunk, and there were probably drugs on board, as well. In fact, it might be worth mentioning to the Coast Guard that the boat appeared to be operated by people under the influence of drugs. The Coast Guard loves boats with drugs.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you.

What an A**! Next time, get their reg. number and report it to the CC.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

also when you anchor you should have the bow aimed at on coming waves..wind ect..it may take two anchors,one rear one forward.

The absolute worst advance you could give anyone is to have an anchor off their stern. Great way to swamp your boat. :(

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I imagine it all really depends on your boat and how it's made.

Some boats can drop 20' at over 40 mph and smack a wave others can't.
(I've done it in my brothers Velocity)

How are aquasports made are they chop gun boats?

How are they reinforced?

Does it feel like your beating it to death, all shaking and making funny noises?

Or does it sound solid?

Maybe someone with one of those boats can give you some more info.

dodgeramsst2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with the no anchor off the stern comment. I've seen many people do this, and if you hold the boat stern into oncoming waves, bad things will happen. Generally the boat will turn bow into the waves, because most always that is the direction the wind is coming from. If that doesn't do it, you can put two anchors off the bow (forward most cleats on the sides), or do the triangle with two ropes and one anchor to hold your boat that way.

nlain

Commander

I use bow and stern anchors a lot but the bow is always pointed to the rough water/waves/wakes, it takes both to hold the boat in place where I am most of the time due to the current coming from the side. Now if you are stern toward the rough water then you have trouble.

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a time and place for stern anchoring. I have also stern/bow anchored on may ocasions (sp?) Never more than 10 yards off shore with the stern pointed at the shore. Even if gale force off shore winds come up there will be no danger with this technique.
I have also beached my boat stern in and tied off the stern only to keep from being swamped by onshore winds during shore lunch.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The absolute worst advance you could give anyone is to have an anchor off their stern. Great way to swamp your boat. :(

Swamp the boat??? Uhhh,not if you know what your doing.
with a prevailing wind from the south and boat traffic going east & west...the wind will have your bow to the wind,,,BUT. the wave action will be coming from east & west, if you use two anchors to keep the bow pointed into the waves.you wont swamp. And the other comment about anchoring stern to....what idiot would attempt that? My suggestion was BOW TO WAVE.

tommays

Admiral

Well he was and AZZ

BUT you are talking about the middle of Long Island Sound which has NON-STOP BIG AZZ shipping traffic like oil tankers , Tugs towing dozens of gravel barges 500' long submarine's and MORE all of which do NOT slow down and leave really BIG wakes

Not sure were your fishing but if your near the race on a calm day and its in full flood you will go from flat to 4' + seas in 100 feet

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Swamp the boat??? Uhhh,not if you know what your doing.
with a prevailing wind from the south and boat traffic going east & west...the wind will have your bow to the wind,,,BUT. the wave action will be coming from east & west, if you use two anchors to keep the bow pointed into the waves.you wont swamp. And the other comment about anchoring stern to....what idiot would attempt that? My suggestion was BOW TO WAVE.

I guess I'm missing something here. Boats generally generate wakes moving perpindicular to their line of travel. If the boat traffic is moving East to West as you suggest the wakes they generate would travel North and South....yes?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Regardless of whether the boat wakes in any scenario are perpendicular or 45 degrees, there are times for a stern anchor . . . There are very few hard and fast rules. No Sinking is pretty close, and if a stern anchor in combination (or without) is the right call for the situation involving wakes, wind, swells, proximity to shore, etc. etc. etc. infiniti, then it is the right thing for that situation.

My take on this thread is: a) chances are you will never crack a fiberglass hull if you operate it wisely in all conditions, b) you need to learn to operate your boat wisely in all conditions.

There are ways to take monster wakes without slamming. The most common method is slightly above displacement speed (bow up) at a 45 degree angle. Not always right, but often. These are experience discussions. I think you need to search out those big wakes either alone, or without a freaked out girlfriend. Try some different techniques, but use your head and make sure your bilge pump(s) are working!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.