HELP!! -- 95 Wave Venture High Speed Issue

Darcher99

Cadet
I bought a 95 Yamaha Wave Venture 700 about a month ago. Ran great! Ridden several times with no issues. Then all of a sudden my son had trouble starting it. So I went out and played with the throttle and choke and finally got it to start. But it ran like crap. We changed the spark plugs and fuel filter and now it starts right up, runs decent all the way to about 3/4 throttle..Then it starts to stutter and run crappy. What do I do next? Carb clean? Carb rebuild? I'm at a loss of why it would do that all of a sudden.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I bought a 95 Yamaha Wave Venture 700 about a month ago. Ran great! Ridden several times with no issues. Then all of a sudden my son had trouble starting it. So I went out and played with the throttle and choke and finally got it to start. But it ran like crap. We changed the spark plugs and fuel filter and now it starts right up, runs decent all the way to about 3/4 throttle..Then it starts to stutter and run crappy. What do I do next? Carb clean? Carb rebuild? I'm at a loss of why it would do that all of a sudden.
Sorry to suggest it even, but the fuel filter and its fuel line routing up front there…on yams that age, are easy to lead the owner into confusion around the fuel flow direction of travel. The filters being uni directional an all. Might be worth a quick double check. There is also a check valve in the line too. Can get restricted. Only saying, because I know a guy (me) that has been one of the many to get it wrong in the past. The fuel travels the opposite way to what a quick glance might assume. Certainly on the gp 800 and older 760 etc etc.

Bodean1

Recruit
At this age, it is WAY overdue for a carb rebuild. It is running lean at the top end, and will blow up if you continue to run it like this.