HELP!! 89 celebrity cuddy cabin transom

deane1976

Recruit
looking to buy this boat but want to make sure the transom is ok. last owner says it takes on water and that a local shop told him the transom was in bad shape. there doesn't appear to be anything wrong, fiberglass is in good shape with no cracks. whats the best way to determine this ??

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer
Re: HELP!! 89 celebrity cuddy cabin transom

Look inside the boat where the wood is. That's where it would be rotten. Poke the wood in the transom with a pick or screwdriver. You'll find the rot.

DANZIG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I found one by watching the motor bounce(outboard) as I towed it down the road.

Maybe grab ahold of the OB engine or I/O lower unit and see it you can make the transom move.
Look carefully at the bolts and thru hull fittings, see if they are tight, but with out indenting the glass. Look for a bow in the transom.

Might be best to start with the shop that made this discovery, ask them why they thought so.

drewpster

Commander

Well, I found one by watching the motor bounce(outboard) as I towed it down the road.

Maybe grab ahold of the OB engine or I/O lower unit and see it you can make the transom move.
Look carefully at the bolts and thru hull fittings, see if they are tight, but with out indenting the glass. Look for a bow in the transom.

Might be best to start with the shop that made this discovery, ask them why they thought so.

Hit the nail on the head. Since I have been messing around in this boat craziness I have been asked on several occasions to checkout old boats for friends of mind. In the majority of them I was able to get the outboard/ outdrive to move the transom by standing on it. If it cant support my weight it certainly cant push the boat. If the transom moves, at all, its rotten.