Help 71 johnson 25 hp tiller

I was out on the river today and at the launch I back away in reverse and then shifted into forward and went off. Then later backing out into the current I shifted from reverse to forward and had no forward gear. When I shifted from reverse to forward I had some rpms as my motor doesn't idle the best. I probably broke something while unintentionally slamming gears. I have reverse but no forward. Best guess for what might be broken? Thanks a lot I appreciate any help to a newbie.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help 71 johnson 25 hp tiller

Maybe a drive pin? Have you checked the lower unit oil, any metal in it? Is the shift rod connector attached properly?

I checked (drained) the lower unit oil and it had no metal at all. Will do research on how to check shift linkage and drive pin. Thanks

I removed the inspection cover on the shaft and could see the shift rods and connector. They seem to be ok. Nothing loose. When shifting to forward with the shift lever the top rod moves,but I can reach in and move it 50% more with a screw driver. I am thinking that my problem is at the top portion of the linkage. Will ck in the morning.

Haffiman

Commander

Might depend a bit on how it is broken, but yes.

Check that your shift handle has not moved on the shaft. Shift into neutral - the handle should be vertical.

luckynickles

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like to me you might have lost forward gear pull lower unit down turn upside down remove the bolts on the lower unit and pull apart watch how youy do this how it goes back together it is simple ill bet the forward gears are sheered all there is is a piece of brass that slides into a dog gear the whole gears are about 300 dollaars or more if they are bad might need to pick up another lower unit used cheeper

AlTn

Commander

suggest removing the lower shift connector screw completely and examining it. If it's been on an off many times it's possible that it's become stripped in the center and isn't holding the lower shift rod firmly enough. The connector itself may need a little "squeeze" to help matters. If you can grasp the lower shift rod with some needle nose vicegrips and get f/n/r by spinning the prop while shifting, no need to look any farther.

I just removed the shift lever and reassembled it and now I have f/n/r/. Thanks for the help. What a smart bunch here.