Hello Questin on How to properly remove 1975 115 mercury engine

Roachb

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 3, 2010
Messages
9
I just got a used 1975 im told 115hp mercury engine where do i hook up to remove it from? I have a engine lift for vehicles im going to use..I attached a couple pics...Also my last question not sure if this is the right section the Owner of the engine lost the key to the ignition Can I just replace the control (I took a pic of the controls) OR can I just get a new key made?
new timer boater and poster thanks guys:cool:
 

Attachments

  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 0
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 0

Milduff

Seaman Apprentice
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Messages
33
Re: Hello Questin on How to properly remove 1975 115 mercury engine

Roachb, you can do a couple of things for ignition: first look for number on ignition switch sometimes you can identify key number. Second most boat shops may have old ignitions laying around with key(s) check with them. Third and the most exspensive - new controls. As for lifting motor, most guys, myself included use the factory eyelet that screws into the top of flywheel (on the crank shaft) or you can get your buddies to muscle it off the boat with brute strength. Hope this helps. Milduff:D
 

j_martin

Admiral
Joined
Sep 22, 2006
Messages
7,474
Re: Hello Questin on How to properly remove 1975 115 mercury engine

The only safe way to lift the engine is the right way. Get the lifting eye that screws into the flywheel.

Local Merc mechanic should be able to find a key for you. They're petty primitive locks, and I don't think there were very many key combinations. Worst case, if the switch is boogered up from trying to operate it with a screwdiver (like a John Deere, only slightly more primitive) you can replace just the ignition switch.

hope it helps
John
 

Roachb

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 3, 2010
Messages
9
Re: Hello Questin on How to properly remove 1975 115 mercury engine

Thanks for the help guys Is there a link anywhere to properly tuning a old engine like this that has been sitting for sometime?
 
Top