Hello, New member. Assistance Please and tks

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

This guy is willing to go to $8500 said it was just serviced and runs like a top. It also has the King Cobra.. although all the previous comments here were the fact it was a broken KC.. a good running one is it a problem? Thanks!

Boats break. Outdrive parts fail. If it's running now, what happens if it needs repaired in a week? I just don't understand why anyone would want to take that gamble.

Roccafellas

Seaman Apprentice
Boats break. Outdrive parts fail. If it's running now, what happens if it needs repaired in a week? I just don't understand why anyone would want to take that gamble.
Okay, that’s what I’m talking about. So yes you think this boat isn’t something obviously that can be fixed easy.. and the boat itself isn’t a nice boat (built well in general)?

gr8knurlin

Seaman Apprentice
Yes I saw those! The Cobalt is beautiful, honestly is an old man, and he owns a successful mechanics shop. He said he bought the boat and got sick and couldn’t use it. Where he is, it’s very far on the outskirts kind of “back country” honestly it’s almost as if there is no GPS to get there so I feel like many people are scared because they won’t find it or it’s so far. I know that sounds so far fetched but he was going to go to 10 then I said well I’m coming from 6 hours he said if you come this weekend and get it out of my hair i’ll take $8500. He actually told me he paid 9 for it 2 years ago. I have looked a lot through this site and I don’t care to drive 12 hours round trip if its not good. But I’m definitely interested as long as people say the boat itself isn’t junk. But I’m well aware how the scenario sounds haha.
You can never know for sure but I know location often makes for a tough sell for some folks. My current boat would have sold in under an hour if it was in Edmonton/Calgary/Vancouver but it was way up in Grimshaw AB - 5.5 hours out of Edmonton, Even then I had my name on it within 3 hours of listing.
I rely heavily on my gut.... and not only with the boat/car/bike/sled but also with the seller. I would never buy anything from myself, I like to see clean organized shops/yards/tools, attention to detail ect. Every big purchase I make I know within minutes of seeing it and meeting the seller. If it doesn't "speak to me" I'll walk. I'd say it's likely worth the drive for a potential "barn find" and if you see red flags when you get there don't be afraid to walk away and chalk it up to a road trip....

And yes that Cobalt is beautiful, they are high end units.

Roccafellas

Seaman Apprentice
You can never know for sure but I know location often makes for a tough sell for some folks. My current boat would have sold in under an hour if it was in Edmonton/Calgary/Vancouver but it was way up in Grimshaw AB - 5.5 hours out of Edmonton, Even then I had my name on it within 3 hours of listing.
I rely heavily on my gut.... and not only with the boat/car/bike/sled but also with the seller. I would never buy anything from myself, I like to see clean organized shops/yards/tools, attention to detail ect. Every big purchase I make I know within minutes of seeing it and meeting the seller. If it doesn't "speak to me" I'll walk. I'd say it's likely worth the drive for a potential "barn find" and if you see red flags when you get there don't be afraid to walk away and chalk it up to a road trip....

And yes that Cobalt is beautiful, they are high end units.
Okay awesome! Yeah I like the cobalt too, little out of my price range but maybe i’ll just wait. Thank you.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I am about an hr away.------Do you have a location / street address for this repair shop ?-----Google maps does not show this shop ?

Commander_47

Petty Officer 3rd Class
5000 Canadian dollars are 4058 US dollars. So that makes it a little more palatable. That is a 28 footer with a big block Chevy motor. They are very robust. A pretty hefty boat! To me it depends on how the rest of the boat is.

How is the motor?
How is the hull?
How is the furniture?
The interior?
Circuit breaker and electrics all work ok?

If the main problem is the King Cobra, it might make a decent big bargain cruiser. As mentioned above, the biggest problem with OMC is that they don't make them anymore. But parts and such are still plentiful, if not a bit pricey sometimes.

A cracked Stern drive is not a deal killer in my opinion. Especially if you have three lowers for parts. Drain all the gear oil, make sure you clean it out of oil real good. Use a water based oil dissolver to flush out all the oil.

Drill a small hole on either end of the crack, and have a competent welder repair the crack. Slow, overlapping welds. I like to soak leather or heavy cloth rags in water and cover everything but the crack as you weld.

After it is all done, the weld will be a little bumpy. You can gently grind it, but don't try to take it down to the original. Just smooth it out. There may be a tiny pin prick hole somewhere in the weld. For added insurance, mix up some marine metal epoxy, or even JB weld (the slow cure water proof type) and completely cover the weld and smooth it out.

This repair will last for years and years.

I can tell you right now that half the skeg on the one in the picture is gone. I could not see a crack unless that small white line near the top seam is one. Skegs are pretty easily fixed or replaced. Plenty of places on the net sell them.

Heck, even Amazon can get a skeg:

I don't see the outdrive being a deal breaker if you get the price down a bit to compensate.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
HAS TO HAVE A 454! or bigger..lol first time boat owner.
As a first timer, you would be wise to either buy an outboard of less than 100 HP, or if you realllyyy want an I/O get a 3.0 liter 130 HP.

Then take a safety course and become proficient in navigation and rules of the road. After you are a proven boater, then move up.

With covid and all, there are soooooo many novices out there and it is becoming more dangerous every day.

Roccafellas

Seaman Apprentice
5000 Canadian dollars are 4058 US dollars. So that makes it a little more palatable. That is a 28 footer with a big block Chevy motor. They are very robust. A pretty hefty boat! To me it depends on how the rest of the boat is.

How is the motor?
How is the hull?
How is the furniture?
The interior?
Circuit breaker and electrics all work ok?

If the main problem is the King Cobra, it might make a decent big bargain cruiser. As mentioned above, the biggest problem with OMC is that they don't make them anymore. But parts and such are still plentiful, if not a bit pricey sometimes.

A cracked Stern drive is not a deal killer in my opinion. Especially if you have three lowers for parts. Drain all the gear oil, make sure you clean it out of oil real good. Use a water based oil dissolver to flush out all the oil.

Drill a small hole on either end of the crack, and have a competent welder repair the crack. Slow, overlapping welds. I like to soak leather or heavy cloth rags in water and cover everything but the crack as you weld.

After it is all done, the weld will be a little bumpy. You can gently grind it, but don't try to take it down to the original. Just smooth it out. There may be a tiny pin prick hole somewhere in the weld. For added insurance, mix up some marine metal epoxy, or even JB weld (the slow cure water proof type) and completely cover the weld and smooth it out.

This repair will last for years and years.

I can tell you right now that half the skeg on the one in the picture is gone. I could not see a crack unless that small white line near the top seam is one. Skegs are pretty easily fixed or replaced. Plenty of places on the net sell them.

Heck, even Amazon can get a skeg:

I don't see the outdrive being a deal breaker if you get the price down a bit to compensate.

Wow great info! Unfortunately the boat sold, so I’m looking at a few other 454’s and I’m definitely going to take all your wisdom! And note it. Thank you.

Roccafellas

Seaman Apprentice
As a first timer, you would be wise to either buy an outboard of less than 100 HP, or if you realllyyy want an I/O get a 3.0 liter 130 HP.

Then take a safety course and become proficient in navigation and rules of the road. After you are a proven boater, then move up.

With covid and all, there are soooooo many novices out there and it is becoming more dangerous every day.
454 =gas gauge moving off full as fast as speedo goes to fast!Hello Sudbury from the SOO.
haha I’m well aware, I am in a pretty big group of mechanics and boaters. I’m prepared for the $1000.00 weekends. HELLO SOO!

Commander_47

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wow great info! Unfortunately the boat sold, so I’m looking at a few other 454’s and I’m definitely going to take all your wisdom! And note it. Thank you.

Actually, that doesn't surprise me. In my humble opinion that was a pretty good deal.

Don't get me wrong, the OMC is a downside, but shoot, the rest sounded like a bargain. The stern drive was a trade off.

Everything everyone said about the big block is correct. I will offer some advice I gave my son 50 some odd years ago when he graduated from college.

He had his first job, and wanted to treat himself to a new car after driving a beat up Toyota. My recommendation was simple: buy the meanest overpowered muscle car his heart desired while he was still young.

He got a canary yellow Camaro Z28. Same with a boat.