Hello all, new member here

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wanted to drop a quick note to say HI to everyone here. :)

I've been lurking around the site as a guest for a little over a week now, trying to absorb all the info I can, now it's finally time to join up and starting asking my newbie questions. SO, in advance, please forgive me as I am sure that I'll ask the odd stupid question... hehe

Not only am I new to the forum, I am new to boating in general, having just acquired my first boat, a 16' Calglass runabout. The main issue with is that I have been a real landlubber all my life and have been 'on the water' maybe a dozen times in my life. :eek:

Unfortunately, the boat needs work, a lot of work. But that's fine, I know that going in to the project. But, I won't go into that here, that's a different thread for a different forum.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Hello all, new member here

Welcome to iboats, lightnig. Don't be afraid to ask "stupid" questions, that's the only way you'll learn. I was in the same position as you a year ago, a landlubber who just bought an old 16' glass boat. A lot of iboaters helped me out a lot since then. I stil ask a lot of stupid questions though :p

Oh yeah...let's see pics of your boat!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats!

Feel free to look around and become familiar with the various topic threads. Depending on the type of work your boat needs we have sections to cover just about everything.

iboats has a great boating store with a wide offering.

Since you do not have the boating experiance ...YET ;) I would suggest that you take a local boating course (which are usually free) to prepare yourself.

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to the board! Feel free to ask anything....if it can't be answered here, it can't be answered anywhere.

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank for the warm welcome guys (gals???).

This is going to be a real project for me, it is essentially a bare hull. Well, nothing 'essentially' about it, it is bare, right down to the floor.

DSC05093.jpg

BoatEvaluation016.jpg

It's definitely going to need a tonne of work, a new floor and interior at the very least. I don't mind putting some time and money into it, as the price was right - neighbour had it for years, and it was a case of 'come and get it, I'm going to get it towed away if you don't' - so I picked it up.

I am not planning a complete restoration, rather a project for me and the family to work on together and get it up to be properly ship shape for us all to take to the lake on weekends and have some good fun together. And That's all I expect from it, I know that this will never be a beauty queen. ;)

But to tell the truth, I am not sure if I will pursue this particular boat project though. Being as 'green' as I am, it may be more than I want to undertake at this point. I was fine with the Interior, and was hoping that the floor wasn't as bad as it actually is, (but even this newbie can tell the whole floor is shot, so you experienced people can well imagine how bad it really is...). But, if it turns out that it needs a transom too, I'll probably look for a different project for us.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome and good luck with the project. :cool:

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

welcome to the family. the people here can get you thru anything with your project boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

welcome to iboats. looks like you will be frequenting, the restoration forum.

aspeck

Staff member

Welcome, and don't be afraid to ask the stupid questions. I have been around for a while now, and I am still stupid (no reflection on the brilliant minds that add brilliant thoughts and insights to the miriad of questions and posts):eek:.

Enjoy the forum, and enjoy the process of fixing the boat!

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

hello and welcome to iboats!!!!

this has to be the best site ive found ..... period.

lots of advice and help on any and everything.

there is no such thing as a "stupid question" ...........unless its rhetorical i guess.

good luck , godspeed, and happy boating

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Welcome aboard, get to work, you can't get nothing done here except on how to get it done :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard! The bummer for me is our projects are at the same stage but I've been working on mine for over a year . . . :eek:

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

welcome to iboats. looks like you will be frequenting, the restoration forum.

Thanks

And you better believe it. I've already spent a tonne of time in there reading up on what I was getting myself into. (But I am sure it is still not quite sinking in just how much work I actually have to do yet... hehe)

Welcome aboard! The bummer for me is our projects are at the same stage but I've been working on mine for over a year . . . :eek:

DOH! I don't envy you then... ;)

Chino Hills, you say? (according to the listed location in your profile).

By a strange coincidence, my car owners club is planning it's national convention and meet there next year.

QC

Supreme Mariner

That is strange ^^^^