Has spark and clean fuel, wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pender

Seaman Apprentice
Hi i just started workin on small outboards and cleaning carbs and ran into a problem. I cleaned the carb, which was fairly clean but there was rust in the bowl. i put the carb back on and she still wont start. its gettin a hot spark and clean gas but it still wont start. the most i got was a whif of smoke out of the back. the power pack was replaced last season and i was wondering if that might be a factor. im completely lost at this point :confused: any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Has spark and clean fuel, wont start

Have you checked compression? What motor?

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

yes what motor?
does putting fuel directly into carb throat help?
silly question but are plug leads on correctly??
Wayne

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Look in the Top Secret File ^^^ for troubleshooting a non-starting outboard.

Pender

Seaman Apprentice

its an evinrude 15 hp. but no i haven't checked the compression seein as how im not quite sure how to. yes plug leads should be on right because i haven't switched them at all. and i tried putting fuel in the carb and it didn't really make any difference. so check compression? if so how do i do that?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

so check compression? if so how do i do that?
See "Compression test by JB in Tashasdaddy's "Top secret file"

Pender

Seaman Apprentice

just checked the compression and got a reading of 80 psi on the top cylinder and about 95 on the bottom. I have read that a difference like this is normal but if it is then this isn't the problem... any other ideas/ suggestions???

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That's a little high for the difference but it should still run. When you said you put fuel in the carb, how did you do it? Dump raw fuel in or spray a 50:1 premix in? If you have spark and compression it should fire.

Rick.

Captain

I would not hurt to put in a new sit of plugs gapped to .030 . Top wire from the power pack to the top cylinder. Best of luck. Rick.

Pender

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the help, i just got back from pulling the flywheel off. there was a lot of sheared metal laying around and collected around the magnet. also the nut on the flywheel was really loose and the flywheel popped right off. i put it all together and she finally ran, a little rough though so im dippin the carb now. looks like its all fixed thans for everythin guys!

Rick.

Captain

Can you tell where the metal came from? 40-45 ft.lbs. is the torque on the flywheel nut. Glad to hear she's running for you. Rick.

Pender

Seaman Apprentice

from what i can tell the metal came from the three tabs that surround the crankshaft. the inside parts of it were pretty well scarred up and gashed and the part of the flywheel that it surrounds was too. i just cleaned the carb and put it back on but she doesnt wanna run well. can anyone tell me why it started working after if removed the flywheel? im lost there

Pender

Seaman Apprentice

i did some reading about the fuel pump and remebered that the gasket was a little beat up and torn. could replacing that solve my problem?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

from what i can tell the metal came from the three tabs that surround the crankshaft. the inside parts of it were pretty well scarred up and gashed and the part of the flywheel that it surrounds was too. i just cleaned the carb and put it back on but she doesnt wanna run well. can anyone tell me why it started working after if removed the flywheel? im lost there

Three tabs that surround the crank??? What year 15 ???

Pender

Seaman Apprentice

yeah theres three things that stuck up off of the plate thats under the fly wheel. they surround the part of the shaft that the flywheel goes on.

she will run now but only at a fast idle and just keeps dying out. i've cleaned the carb twice now just to be sure and im gonna buy a carb kit next.

Pender

Seaman Apprentice

ok did some more reading and i think that replacing the gasket btw the carb and the manifold should fix it as it tore when i pulled it off and may be letting air in. also im gonna replace the gasket in the fuel pump, it was a little torn.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

the flywheel is a part of your ignition system and if its not exactly in the right place it will trow off the timing and will cause hard starting or even imposible to start/run.
check the timing when you have it running and i woul do a link and sync.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

And if we ever find out a year, points/condensor versions of this motor 74-76 had magento slop issues from magneto wear which will screw everything up.

Status
Not open for further replies.