hardtops

nightride

Petty Officer 3rd Class
can anyone tell me how to build a hard top to the windsheild on my boat im no carpenter been looking for a used one but cant find one the boat is a t craft cabin crusier soft tops just dont last long here in florida

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: hardtops

I have used cardboard and duct tape to build a form for things like boxes and vents and then fiberglass over it. Seems like a good quality fabric should last for at least 5 years though.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

You guys should get a prize. Both have the same number of posts.<br /><br />Just doesn't seem right Nightride. Here I am up here near Orygun, beggin for sun and you'all are trying to hide from it.

santa666

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nightride, <br />I have researched this topic ALOT as I am considering the same upgrade for my 23 foot open fishing boat. If you have the Money go to the ATLANATICTOWERS.COM or similar company inyour area and look at their custom aluminum hardtops, they're about $3000.00. (ouch!)<br /><br />Alternatively (like me) take a page from the wooden boat makers playbook and make one of resin and glass encapsulated plywood. Wood boat makers have been doing this stuff for centuries. Buy yourself a copy of WOODENBOAT magazine and take a look at some of their drawings and cross section blueprints of their projects for ideas. Its a HUGE resource. Look at boats with tops you like. consider tops you like, and ones you do not. copy them for style and form. <br /><br />I think the tops HINCKLEY yacht puts on their 40 foot picnic boat are works of art. They have a website too. What style is your boat? If you have a cigarette style racer an old time lobster boat top is going to look silly and not work for you. Conversely, a raked ultra-radical wakeboard carrier top is going to look weird on a classic chris-craft gentlemen's cruiser...<br /><br />My boat is modern, and so I'd like a more clean style befitting the overall look of the boat. <br /><br /> This encapsulating approach was perfected in the 70's. The materials get better each year. WEST systems epoxies are considered to be the best. <br /><br />Here's what I plan on doing. Make detailed notes on what you are going to use the top for- shade, protection from rain, and spray, etc... Write a one page specification and stick to it! Next get into the boat, make ALOT of measurements. How tall are you? make your top taller than the tallest person using the boat. How wide is your cabin? Make a measurement to fit your boats width plus any overhang you wish for drainage... How long is cabin? Again, any overhang front to back? Do you want solid glass, or are the clear vinyl panels OK? What kind of ventilation do you need? Can you get that ventilation with glass, Vinyl? Vinyl can be made in snap and zippers for nice days. Please consider making your hardtop with the following festures: a drip edge, and a curve for good looks and drainage, also consider proper support, etc... what kind of wood are going to use? Marine grade plywood isn't cheap, but 1/4, or 1/2 inch encapsulated inside fiberglass for the top part should be good enough. Do you glass already? If not consider doing some small test pieces to get you technique down. <br /><br />For the supports Mahogany, and or Teak are generally considered to be the standard. Do you have woodworking skills and tools? can you cut and join with accuracy? If you're going to use wood are you going to varnish it, or is painting your preference. Do you need rod holders? if so reinforce the mounting area with maybe a couple of extra layers of glass(?) Do you need an antenna mount pad? <br /><br />Can you weld aluminum? If so weld up a top frame for you project- What are your decks made of? To sucessfully attach the top please research reinforcing backing under any mounting areas. <br />Are you glassing it on, or are you using through bolts? <br /><br />As with any design project the quote worth remembering comes from the world famous architectiral genius Mr. Ludwig Mies Van De Rohe: "GOD IS IN THE DETAILS"

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been toying with making something like this also. My plan was to make it out of foam insulation from homedepot (glued together and shaped) and then glass and paint. Havent tried this yet, but I have heard of others that have done it.

nightride

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys for the advise .and sorry boomyal for teasing you about the sun but not trying to hide from it trying to hide from the rain vegardlet me know with that foam idea unless i try it first thanks again guys

santa666

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, foam is a new angle to me. Seems to make sense, but could there be a negative chemical reaction between the foan the resin?<br /><br />Are we talking about the white styro, or the pink more solid stuff? Open, or closed cell? It seems likeopen cellwouuld absorb any water that might get in through any checks, or cracks.<br /><br />I'm going with fiberglass encapsulated wood for a slimmer overall profile of the support structure. <br /><br />Santa

santa666

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, Resin over foam. Could there be a negative reaction with the chemicals in the foam and resin?<br />Hmmm, it could be like the first time I tried to use spray paint on styrofoam, all I got was a toxic waste event. It looked like Chrenobyl. <br />Its seems to me the foam would be OK with<br />the resin. Are you using the more dense pink foam?<br /><br />I am going with resin encapsulated wood for a slimmer overall profile for the structure. I'm thinking that equal thicknesses of foam/resin may not be as stiff as the same dimension of wood/resin. <br /><br />On the other hand there is a weight consideration too, and the argument that foam will never rot, but may (over time) absorb much more water than a similarly compromised piece of wood. <br /><br />Its a toss up over which method suits your area, and your skill level.<br /><br />Did you hear the one about the dislexic devil worshipper that sold his soul to Santa? :D <br /><br />Have a happy holiday! and a great new year!<br />Santa666-

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

I think they mean that foil wrapped open cell stuff that is used in new construction<br /><br />and as usual, I have an idea<br /><br />walls, were space is critical, quarter inch ply - up on the roof, foam. florida heat(and jersey heat too!) would be insulated<br /><br />C ox went by on 13 down in del today, had a perfect cabin on it<br /><br />Im going to overhang the edges, let the rain run off. and provide an area for some 12 volt fog lamps to shine down in the cockpit<br /><br />drum fish at night, cant wait to hear em "drumming" away, lol, chilly spring night just duck into the cabin for some heat<br /><br />and on those broiling hot summer days, have shade, wonderful shade, lol, I wonder if a little generator could run one of those miniscule air conditioners ... the 4500 btu jobbers .. hmmmmmmmm<br /><br /> :D :D :D :D :D