hard to start 1984 merc 50 hp

coin operated

Seaman Apprentice
My 50 hp 3 cyl runs great once it gets started, but starting it is really hard.The bulb pumps up hard, the enricher clicks, but it does not get enough fuel. I spray my fuel mix into it with a spraygun, and it fires right up. It usually idles fine, but every once in a while it will die at idle. I have removed and cleaned the carbs, including idle jets, new floats set correctly, new needles, new fuel lines from tank all the way to carbs, new fuel filter, and I have also put a new kit on the fuel pump. I am not sure what to try next. Any good ideas?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Do you have a warm up lever/throttle only button and are you using it? Have you set the idle jets with the motor running in gear on the water?

coin operated

Seaman Apprentice
It does not have a warm up lever. It has an enricher that is activated by pushing the key in and holding it for a few seconds and then turning it. The idle was adjusted in the water in forward gear. It idles fine 95 % of the time, but it never wants to start when it first hits the water.

coin operated

Seaman Apprentice
oops. I missed part of your question. Yes, it does have the throttle only button, and I am using it full forward.