Hard starting after running

Hcmcclay

Cadet
When I put my boat in the water it starts up great. After the engine gets warmed up if I shut it off (swin, fish) it will mot start back up for a while. It's like it's flooded and I have to wait on plugs to dry. Today it was almost an hour before it would start back up. Once it does it runs great. Someone mentioned ed plugs and the heat range so I replaced them and that made no difference. The engine is cooling, the oil pressure is good. It's Alpha 1 Gen 2 4.3 LX. Any help would be appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
Do you have the spin on fuel filter or the inline, also is it a 2 or 4 barrel carb?

It's like it's flooded and I have to wait on plugs to dry
Do you know flooding is happening or it just acts like it?
If the throttle is pumped can fuel be seen in the throat of the carb?
Is the choke plate open?

Hcmcclay

Cadet
Just acts flooded. It's a 2 barrel. I can see gas spraying when throttled. Not sure what the choke plate is.

alldodge

Staff member
The choke plate is the plate that closes down when the engine is cold, it should be full open when warm. In the pic below this is a 4 barrel but the plate in the fore front is the choke. Need to find out if your loosing spark. If you have a timing light bring it with you and connect it on the coil while cranking. The light should flash, if it doesn't there is no spark. Without a timing light pull the coil wire and put it near a ground while cranking to see if you have spark. Don't put it near the carb

1choke.jpg

Hcmcclay

Cadet
So I was all wrong. It is a 4 barrel carb. Found a guy that had same problem and he found a hole in one of his floats. Took mi e apart tonight to check and yep...one of the floats had gas in it. It's a pin hole you can't see. So the extra weight in the float was causing the flooding?? I hope so. Now I just have to find a replacement amd I will see.

Bondo

Staff member
Now I just have to find a replacement amd I will see.

Ayuh,.... Parts for the Edlebrock 1409 are the same parts as yer carb uses,.....