Hard Port Steering Pull

gn83tm

Cadet
Originally posted this in the steering/control forum but it was suggested I post here, so here is a copy of that.

Hoping someone here can help me. I recently purchased a 1996 Bryant 212 bowrider with a 7.4 Bravo One Mercruiser. Under hard acceleration (pulling skiers up, etc), the steering wants to pull hard to port and it's about all I can do to hold the wheel straight. Once on plane I can throttle back and adjust the trim a little to make it better, but it's always kind of there. Cruising along steadily and then powering up causes the same problem. The boat always steers port easier than it steers starboard.

The boat has the DHB steering actuator and I'm wondering if that's the problem. The cable guide tube seems to move freely for the short distance it needs to when the wheel is turned both directions. According to the PO, the cable and the pump were both replaced last year. I removed the cable from the actuator and it moves freely. The outdrive also moves freely without the steering hooked up. I re-aligned the cable guide tube a little so the flats are as vertical as I can get them with the cable nut tightened down.

I realize there's going to be some pull due to the single prop drive, but this is beyond that and feels like it could be dangerous. Any ideas? Thank you.

Tycer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Warning: Some of these anodes are very soft and will strip out easily. Don’t be a beast!

Bondo

Staff member
DHB steering actuator

Ayuh,...... What's That, ^^^,......

Trim tabs/ torque tabs ain't used with P/S,..... flat plate anodes are the most common,......

Have ya got a spare prop,..?? Try it,...... or just another prop,.....

gn83tm

Cadet
DHB, if I'm not mistaken, is what the newer steering actuator is called. It's after the one that they also used on the Corvette. Don't have a spare prop and I don't think any of the Bravos have trim tabs.

I had it out today for a bit and noticed something interesting. If I do a partial throttle take-off it's fine for the first little bit but once I hit a certain point (maybe 10 mph) it wants to instantly pull left. It's quite abrupt and you have to be ready for it. I'll try it out some more tomorrow to see if I can pinpoint the conditions further.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Borrow another prop,.......

I've seen some boats that just don't work right, with some props,......

Never found a reason, but a different prop made the boat driveable,.....

gn83tm

Cadet
Messed around with it some more today but don't really have a firm handle on what's going on yet. Definitely pulls hard to port under hard acceleration, but varies somewhat depending on trim position. Very driveable while on plane and trimmed up but pulls more as it's trimmed down to stop porpoising. We're pulling it out of the lake tomorrow and I'll carefully check the prop and skeg. I think I want to change the prop anyways so maybe I'll figure out what I want there and try that.

I also wonder if there's air trapped in the actuator cylinder. I don't know for sure that it fully extends when the steering is at full lock and if it doesn't, could there be air trapped there? Head scratcher for me so I'm hoping someone has run into this before. Thanks for the help so far.

gn83tm

Cadet
Just wanted to post an update in case anyone with the same issue finds this thread.

I tore apart the steering actuator thinking I might find something amiss, but everything looked perfectly fine. I replaced all of the P/S hoses while I was at it. Nothing was different after I put it all back together.

Took a gamble on a P/S pump (complete pump with valve fitting, listed as marine use) from the big auction site and that fixed the issue. I took apart the original pump (replaced by the PO) and didn't see anything wrong with it, but maybe it has the wrong bypass valve or something.

Anyways, my issue is fixed and I hope this helps someone else someday.