Happy ending, or beginning of a nightmare?

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Happy ending, or beginning of a nightmare?

Sounds great, glad to hear it all worked out for ya!! How did she run this weekend? I know it was very windy here in North Texas this weekend so I didn't even bother to venture out on the local lakes. You should come by to Lake Lavon on May 1st...more specifically Collin park marina boat ramp where we are having a huge crawfish boil. Come check us out!!

http://www.texashotboats.com/forums...de96b57316102d39b2de2c49790979e&topic=11931.0

Ob1415

Seaman

It was too windy this weekend (gusts at 35 MPH) to take her on a test run. However, I did pick up the service order for the motor swap, which confirms that Merc suggested the motor replacement and sent it out in "emergency overnight" for immediate replacement. The total bill for the motor, parts and labor was $4,934.17, which was covered 100% by Merc warranty

As far as the stereo issue, turns out that the contacts on the harness are loose. I showed the problem to the dealer and they want to toss the harness and hard wire the stereo. Is this a bad idea since I plan to upgrade the stereo in the near future? The service manager says that the new stereo would also need to be hard wired or re-wired to the new harness as boats don't have the after market harness adaptors, like you can get for cars. Fact or fiction?

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

The service manager says that the new stereo would also need to be hard wired or re-wired to the new harness as boats don't have the after market harness adaptors, like you can get for cars. Fact or fiction?

That's a fact, at least in the boats I have worked on. They might have a plug, but it is not like buying a harness for your installation in your car. when I upgraded the deck in the boat I made a harness adapter. I am not a fan of cutting into factory wiring and will do my best to avoid it. Most of the plugs on my boat were molex so I went to a local electronics surplus store and pieced together what I needed.