Happy ending, or beginning of a nightmare?

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Happy ending, or beginning of a nightmare?

Jopes could well be right, if Mercruiser has had a couple of complaints like this, they might want that motor back to tear it apart and see where their problem is. Car manufacturers do that a lot with new design engines and transmissions.

gestut1

Seaman Apprentice

I recently purchased a 2011 Glastron GT 205. After 3 trips to the lake my serpentine belt frayed and came off. The dealership gave me a loaner boat while they have it in the shop.

I received a call today advising that the alignment is off, which is what caused the belt to shred. Said that it is either a defective or improperly installed harmonic balancer, or, an internal issue with the crank shaft. They said that it is easier for them, and better for me that they just install a new motor, rather than tear down the existing motor. I agreed because I would not be satisfied with a brand new boat that has had the motor torn apart.

Of course, it is all covered under warranty, and they are letting me keep the loaner until the motor swap is complete.

Is this a happy ending, or the beginning of a long nightmare?

PS - I don't really consider this an engine thread, as I am trying to get opinions on the the state of my boat, overall.

what kind of merc engine do you have?

EMC 1810SS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think they did the stand up thing, even if it is just a bent damper (which is nearly impossible to do without damaging the crank or first main bearing, running the engine with a damaged damper can cause significant crank wear and considerably shorten the service life of the crank. If I had to bet, my money would be laid on an endplay issue. I think you ended up with the best case repair scenario. Bring your tech home made cookies or brownies for the entire shop. Cheap and really makes their day.

Ob1415

Seaman

when wondering why the dealer would just slap a new motor in, rather than try to correct--they get paid well for warranty work, so they will often choose a path that might not make sense if they had to charge the customer. Not saying it's the case here, but just speaking generally.
Good idea, though, to confirm they actually switch them. Some dealers charge the manufacturer for warranty work and never do the work. Manufacturers sometimes "audit" this by looking to see if the factory paint has been cracked on a bolt, etc., to determine if they did on fact replace that timing chain or oil pump. Trust everyone, but cut the cards.

To be fair, removing the old motor and installing the new one and all of it's components, would still be pretty labor intensive, so I'm sure they will still get paid for warranty work. I have purchased many cars and motorcycles (not boats) from many dealerships, but none of them have shown the customer appreciation and service like this one has. They have really stepped up and went above and beyond what I would have ever imagined any dealer would do. They will definitely get my business and referrals in the future.

On a side note - The loaner boat they gave me is a 50th Anniversary Edition 2006 Glastron GX 205 from their used lot. The boat's interior is a little rough, but it has the Volvo 5.0 and and the VEC Hull, so I got to compare against my Merc 4.3, non VEC Hull GT 205. Granted, I know that I am comparing a 2006 boat to a 2011, and that the GX 205 is a little heavier, so I know that there will be some differences in overall performance based on that alone.

The Volvo 5.0 has the obvious power advantage over my Merc 4.3, however, it does not pull any faster than my 4.3, actually a bit slower, topping out at about 45 MPH. Seems to have a "bigger bark" but not a "bigger bite", granted this boat is a little heavier than my own (250 lbs more). I did notice a much bigger wake on this boat, than on my own. Perhaps due to the bigger Volvo sterdrive on this boat vs. my Merc Alpha 1 sterndrive? Or perhaps the wider VEC Hull?

As far as the VEC...I was apprehensive about buying my 2011 GT 205, since the 2011 models do not have the VEC Hulls. Now that I have had the opportunity to drive both, I don't feel that I have missed much. The VEC boat, seems much "slappier" in the water. It does not seem to plane and glide through the water with the same "finess" as my boat.

The dealer warned me that the loaner has an awesome stereo, but that it did not work as the amp was blown or shorted out. Since they were so good to me (and since I was hitting the lake that day and REALLY wanted some tunes :) ) I returned the favor and shot the wiring and found the issue. I was able to get the amp fired up and bring the sound system back to life. It has (4) 8" Pioneer Subs, in addition to the (4) stock Mids, and is powered by an 800 watt Fusion Amp. It definitely wasn't the nicest looking boat in Party Cove, but it had the best sound system, hands down.

Will keep you all posted on the progress of my boat. Thanks for all the replies.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I had a Lotus 907E motor with improperly installed thrust washers on the crank that would walk in and out .060. It wore the rod journals toward the balancer almost .020 before throwing a rod. I'm not a Merc skilled motor tech and I don't know how they control crank thrust, but if it had been ran much with excessive crank runout, yes a motor replacement would be warranted.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Happy ending, who cares what happened, the dealer is making it right and they gave you a loaner, which is unheard of nowadays. Don't worry, be Happy.

Yeah I'm blown away they gave you a loaner boat, I'd have figured them to just expect you to go without while they fix yours.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

My buddies VEC has a rough ride too.. Hope ya get your rig back and runs perfect.

Tell em to upgrade ya to the 5.7.. Then you will notice the difference

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is a good example of how companys can learn from economic downturns, some still dont get it, once the boat is sold..its your problem, then theres companys like Glastron,which continues to build a dam good boat with excellent customer service.Bad motors happen,what matters is company response to a warrenty claim..in this case..loaner & new motor..Happy ending.

TBarCYa

I'm going to say happy ending... When I bought my 2008 Maxum with a Mercruiser I/O I was told that during their test run, it experienced some carburetor issues due to old fuel varnishing in the carb. The dealer wanted to rebuild the carb and Mercruiser said replace it with a new one. I insisted on the replacement because, like you, I didn't buy a rebuilt boat, I bought a new boat and wanted a new carb. Mercruiser dealt with the dealer and even told me how to know for sure that the dealer installed the new carb and didn't just rebuild the old one. In the end, a very happy customer.

So, how does old fuel get into a brand new carburetor? Apparently, both Mercruiser and Maxum build their stuff in the US however, the engines and hulls are shipped to Mexico for assembly and the whole process took about 6 months from the manufacture date of the engine until the test run when I bought it. Six months is enough for the fuel in the bowls to go bad... Go figure.

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would say happy ending!

not only do you still have an awesome looking boat...you know you are getting a brand new engine that i am sure they will make sure is in perfect running condition. The last thing they will want is for you to experience another issue. The dealer is smart enough to know that if they handle this situation right you will come back for your next boat when the 2 footitous hits you and the only cure is another boat!

Plus you have now been able to spend some quality time with the loaner boat and now have complete piece of mind in your original purchasing decisions!

Enjoy the lakes and i know you are already enjoying party cove on Lewisville! Check them out on facebook...you might see some pics of yourself there!

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

What is the name of the Dealer? We always find out about Dealers that give their customers the run around, we should really want to know who this Dealer is. As long as the engine goes away, the problem goes away and no expense for the owner.

And a loner boat, I have NEVER heard of this from any other Posters.

Lippy; you seem a little harsh on this dealer. Finding fault because he is replacing with a new engine instead of fixing the original.

Most of us don't care what caused the problem, we want it fixed (preferably at no expense to us), and that is what is happening. It is very doubtful that Mercury will want to start a "panic" by announcing to the world about this problem. This may or may not be the "right" way to do it, but in no way reflects on the Dealer, boat or MM.

AND THEY GAVE HIM A LOANER - WOW!!!

Ob1415

Seaman
UPDATE: Happy ending, or beginning of a nightmare?

UPDATE: Happy ending, or beginning of a nightmare?

UPDATE - The "Wet Dream" is HOME!!!

I got a call from the service manager this morning, who advised me they they were finishing up the motor swap and that they were going to detail my boat for pickup today! They were able to have the new motor freighted in overnight (ordered Monday, arrived Tuesday afternoon - Stillwater, OK to Ft. Worth, TX).

I brought in their loaner, which he told me to not bother cleaning up, as they would take care of that. My boat looks just as stunning as it did when I took initial delivery.

They put about 30 minutes on the motor at a nearby reservoir (Marine Creek in Lake Worth), to make sure that the new motor had no issues.

I am a little concerned that the serial # on the carb is the same as the original motor and questioned if they actually swapped the motor. He said that they re-used my original carb and components (alternator, power steering pump, etc) and that the swap is documented in their system. Although the serial # on the new motor is not visible (plate is located on the starboard, stern of the motor) I actually trust their word that this was done. In my excitement of getting my boat back, I forgot to ask for the warranty work documentation, but will be picking that up tomorrow.

One small issue, is that the stereo for some reason, is no longer getting power. Being familiar with stereo equipment, I'm sure I will be able to trace and fix the problem. If not, I know that they will fix it.

The Team at North Texas Marine, in Fort Worth, really knows how to take care of their customers. This is, hands down, the best customer service I have ever received from any company, on any major purchase.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say the new engine is going to have the same problem. Why??? A new engine does not come with accessories. It is a bare engine. Installing all of the original pieces on the new block will result in the same misalignment. Crankshaft thrust can be checked in the boat. Pulley alignment can be checked in the boat. Runout of the damper can be checked in the boat.

Ob1415

Seaman

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say the new engine is going to have the same problem. Why??? A new engine does not come with accessories. It is a bare engine. Installing all of the original pieces on the new block will result in the same misalignment. Crankshaft thrust can be checked in the boat. Pulley alignment can be checked in the boat. Runout of the damper can be checked in the boat.

We'll see this weekend, but if the problem was with a bent crank and the crank in the new motor is straight, should be problem solved, right?

One thing I know for certain, is that if I do have the same problem, North Texas Marine will make it right.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not true, a "crate motor" is the block with cam,pistons..crank ect..the only bolt ons are carb,alt,exaust,all "external"parts.swaping accesories is common when repowering.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Not true, a "crate motor" is the block with cam,pistons..crank ect..the only bolt ons are carb,alt,exaust,all "external"parts.swaping accesories is common when repowering.

I think you missed Silvertips point. He's saying if it was an accessory that was causing the problem and not the crank then the problem will be back and I agree with him.

I think it would be odd for a engine replacement to occur if it were an easily replaceable accessory. I've done dumber things so I can see how it might happen.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

And I thought a happy ending only came with an Asian massage! Dealer and Merc are in business to make money. Replacing an engine will cost money so believe me they sure as H*ll have a good reason to do it.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

That's not to bad, I guess summer is coming!! we went 2 pages before the first innuendo Crack about the threads name!!:D:D

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think you missed Silvertips point. He's saying if it was an accessory that was causing the problem and not the crank then the problem will be back and I agree with him.

I think it would be odd for a engine replacement to occur if it were an easily replaceable accessory. I've done dumber things so I can see how it might happen.

as you said,if it were an accessory,that would of been determined quickly,out of true pulley or alt ,power steering pulley is easily spotted, but a new crate motor being the culprit is 1 in a thousand, I've re-powered lots of boats over the years and never encountered a problem. Quality control in other country's isn't what it is here in the USA..For sure.