Hangkai 6hp Outboard Maintenance

That old Mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
-No salt, just lakes mostly and used a handful of times a year. Happy to hear it starts easily!!
-WOW! Where did you find it for $325 (shipped)! I would have considered new but found they were goin for ~$500 (shipped).
-You called out the Hangkai is a Yamaha clone. I doubt they took the time to engineer and developed their own fuel line connection. As such, you can find the Yamaha equivalent external tank and compare the fittings. Once confirmed, you can then find fuel line connector online for Yamaha and fit that to the Hangkai (I don't plan to use external tank but may keep spare 1 or 2 gallon canister. Not familiar with how fast this motor goes through fuel.

This may be helpful for future refence or just search "Hangkia 2 stoke + part" and you'll find it.
HANGKAI Outboards Original Parts for Hangkai 4-stroke 6.5 HP Outboard Parts Boat Engine Propeller Spark Plug Crankshaft Gear
By caliper measurements a tohatsu
Auxillary gas line connector measured the closest.
I dont know what clone it is. I dont remember saying that it was a Yamaha, it dont really matter everything built overseas !
Wot gas usage i dont know , but for what i do trolling and motoring back upwind for another drift it seems to burn very little gas.
Maybe fill it up every couple of trips
Mine did not come with the prop cage, yours looks home made and its sturdy looking , that is a plus.
I always use fuel stabilizer and a decarbonizer ,seafoam in my main motor tank every 3 tanks full for my main motor . And use a simple 500 cc transfere syringe to get the gas out my main tank for it.
Its simple and not messy.
Bought mine on prime day awhile back. The price has soared since my purchase. I would not buy one at todays price ! I would go with a used outboard .
I will check out that link and save it if needed.
Thanks

msg4bob

Cadet
By caliper measurements a tohatsu
Auxillary gas line connector measured the closest.
I dont know what clone it is. I dont remember saying that it was a Yamaha, it dont really matter everything built overseas !
Wot gas usage i dont know , but for what i do trolling and motoring back upwind for another drift it seems to burn very little gas.
Maybe fill it up every couple of trips
Mine did not come with the prop cage, yours looks home made and its sturdy looking , that is a plus.
I always use fuel stabilizer and a decarbonizer ,seafoam in my main motor tank every 3 tanks full for my main motor . And use a simple 500 cc transfere syringe to get the gas out my main tank for it.
Its simple and not messy.
Bought mine on prime day awhile back. The price has soared since my purchase. I would not buy one at todays price ! I would go with a used outboard .
I will check out that link and save it if needed.
Thanks
My mistake, matt167 commented it was a Yamaha knockoff. I've came across other internet posts in past searches with comments that it is a Yamaha knockoff but never seen anyone ref material to confirm. Perhaps they are referring to a different motor or series but I snooped a bit and can confirm the Hangkai 6HP 2 stroke IS indeed a Nissan 5 HP knockoff (I believe shared with Tohatsu, same bore, stroke, displacement @102cc!). This further confirm your caliper measurement on the fuel line connection matching Tohatsu.

-Interesting Nissan specs a BPR-7HS10 (+Resistor) plug ($4.34 AZ). I need to take out my plug to confirm if the threading is E or B but I'm learning towards NGK BP7HS-10 ($4.49 AZ). Searching NGK E7TC give me results for TORCH E7TC Spark Plug Replace for NGK BP7HS... I rather get the NGK BP7HS-10 (-10 = pre-gap to 1mm) instead of the Torch.

Internal layout and specs are IDENTICAL (*almost). I need to look into the Nissan subforum :).

Attachments

• Nissan5HP_Specs.jpg
    Nissan5HP_Specs.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

That old Mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi
If i go by its a tohatsu, then its really a Mercury by this link.
Its at the end of the story at the bottom.
It really dont matter, you found the parts . Anything made has lemmons and all we can do is try to maintain them properly and try to keep water and old gas out of the carbs.
Mine has paid for itself twice already by not having to call for two tows.
For me if it only last a full year it will have been well worth what i paid for it.
The are pretty quiet to me but i am half death also lol

msg4bob

Cadet
Was thinking of adding a rectifier/regulator to get 12v power but would likely drop it to 5v to power USB devices. Why not try just use a wall socket USB power adapter?! It is essentially a rectifier/regulator BUT the outboard AC voltage likely spikes so not sure if the wall socker can handle it. OTOH, this is a low power outboard and I got some spare adapter lying around... might give it a try⚡ and see what DC voltage I can get.

msg4bob

Cadet
How do folks with built-in fuel tanks check your fuel level? I am strongly leaning towards adding a fuel gauge, which means I will need the 12v rectifier after all.

There's also adding a tachometer but I'm not sure why an outboard needs that... It's not like you can overrev it but I guess it is nice that it counts running hours for 100hr maintenance. If only I can find one that uses an analog gauge. The single wire kit that measures spark plug firing rate is battery operated. Now, I'm just adding unnecessary crap.

matt167

Captain
You certainly can over rev an outboard. You can have the wrong prop and spin it way out of spec. A 110v rectefier for USB may work. Check fuel in tank by in screwing cap

ct1762@gmail.com

Master Chief Petty Officer
Was thinking of adding a rectifier/regulator to get 12v power but would likely drop it to 5v to power USB devices. Why not try just use a wall socket USB power adapter?! It is essentially a rectifier/regulator BUT the outboard AC voltage likely spikes so not sure if the wall socker can handle it. OTOH, this is a low power outboard and I got some spare adapter lying around... might give it a try⚡ and see what DC voltage I can get.

sorry but how would you hook up the rectifier without power coils in the stator? unless they bizarrely come with them and the leads are just not hooked up, the stator will just consist of a charge coil for the cdi, and a pulsare/sensor/trigger coil. that's it. no battery charging capability on one unless again it was ordered like that, indicated through the motor model #.

That old Mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How do folks with built-in fuel tanks check your fuel level? I am strongly leaning towards adding a fuel gauge, which means I will need the 12v rectifier after all.

There's also adding a tachometer but I'm not sure why an outboard needs that... It's not like you can overrev it but I guess it is nice that it counts running hours for 100hr maintenance. If only I can find one that uses an analog gauge. The single wire kit that measures spark plug firing rate is battery operated. Now, I'm just adding unnecessary crap.
Can you power what you need with a battery jump box?
You can get them with a lot of different out lets.
I clear coated mine finally , and its so easier to clean now than it was with just the black paint on it !
I lake and river fish and sometimes depending on rain the water scum would stick to it , and it was hard to wash it off.
I took the spark plug out today and it is a BP 7H S , No brand on it though.

That old Mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hangkai and most Chinese stuff uses Torch spark plugs. They use NGK part numbers
Hi matt167:
You are probably Correct on the spark plugs, I trust you.
Just giving an update.
I told msgforbob way back in the post when he was asking about spark plugs my hangkai 6 hp 2 stroke manual calls for an Ngk E7TC, but i see that it did not come with that! I dont know what brand it is.
Just giving an update.

msg4bob

Cadet
sorry but how would you hook up the rectifier without power coils in the stator? unless they bizarrely come with them and the leads are just not hooked up, the stator will just consist of a charge coil for the cdi, and a pulsare/sensor/trigger coil. that's it. no battery charging capability on one unless again it was ordered like that, indicated through the motor model #.
To clarify, I'm not looking for the outboard to generate enough current to charge a battery; only looking to make use of the electricity since it is running anyway to power small devices (amperage might be too low for any practical application TBH). For battery charging, you'd need to add dedicated power coils (assuming the Tohatsu/Nissian/Hangkai plate has space and mount to add one). This lead me down to fantasy thoughts of a frankstein build with adding flywheel, alternator, electric ignition 😅. My hobby is on the automotive side -I like frankenmotors.

This 6hp Hangkai 2-stroke does not have power leads (I 'think' their 6.5hp 4-stroke does). I would need to tap into the stator, coil, or CDI to get AC power. Then I would need to add the regulator/rectifier to get a clean/stable 12V DC current (again unsure amperage rating will be practical) or add in the USB wall plug for 5v low amp; free energy, why not? Still need to verify but I wonder if it could be as simple as swapping the existing coil to one with a power lead might work. **disclaimer, this will take current away from the spark plug**

Last edited:

matt167

Captain
You would need some kind of lighting coil for it to work. What you need probably exists. It’s going to be a charging stator. You won’t need a regulator for what you want as the 110V plug should be able to take care of the voltage's. But if you add a regulator, you could keep a small battery charged. You would be 90% there.

That old Mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To clarify, I'm not looking for the outboard to generate enough current to charge a battery; only looking to make use of the electricity since it is running anyway to power small devices (amperage might be too low for any practical application TBH). For battery charging, you'd need to add dedicated power coils (assuming the Tohatsu/Nissian/Hangkai plate has space and mount to add one). This lead me down to fantasy thoughts of a frankstein build with adding flywheel, alternator, electric ignition 😅. My hobby is on the automotive side -I like frankenmotors.

This 6hp Hangkai 2-stroke does not have power leads (I 'think' their 6.5hp 4-stroke does). I would need to tap into the stator, coil, or CDI to get AC power. Then I would need to add the regulator/rectifier to get a clean/stable 12V DC current (again unsure amperage rating will be practical) or add in the USB wall plug for 5v low amp; free energy, why not? Still need to verify but I wonder if it could be as simple as swapping the existing coil to one with a power lead might work. **disclaimer, this will take current away from the spark plug**
If you want to go all out just add an automotive altenator or a pm motor .Yes afrankstein ! I like that
I have seen an automotive altenator installed on larger motors with a hole cut through the cowling on top and the pull rope groove on the motor machined out large enough for a standard v groove belt.
The hangkai just has the cover on top like a lawn mower.
I do think a small pm motor would fit under the cowling. Would need a second groove for a belt machined into the flywheel.
Or maybe a tow behind the boat power generator that would run submerged.
I might be able to figure that out for you.
Matter of fact i might look at doing that to help charge my batteries
Instead of going the solar route!