Handgun advice

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: Handgun advice

You should be able to get a 686 for less than $500. Mine has a 4" or 41/2" barrel and it (I can't but it can) shoots accurate out to about 100 yards with 125 grain bullets. I am sure by now that you have actually seen the gun. It is all stainless with a full underlug barrel. The model 65 is basically the same gun without the underlug. Either gun would be a good choice. If you want to back off of the money some more, around $350, I would recommend a Taurus. They are pretty good guns that are clones of popular models.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Rick, the "plus" means it has a seven-shot cylinder, rather than just six.<br /><br />The 686 and 66 are totally different guns! <br /><br />The 66 is a K-frame. The K revolvers in .357 include the 13, 19, 65, and 66. The 13 and 65 have fixed sights, and the 19 and 66 have adjustable sights. The 13 qnd 19 are blued, and the 65 and 66 are stainless.<br /><br />The L-frame guns are a bit beefier, and include the 581, 586, 681, and 686. The 581 and 586 are blued, the 681 and 686 are stainless. The 581 and 681 have fixed sights, while the 586 and 686 have adjustable sights. I believe all the L-Frame revovers are chambered in .357 Magnum.<br /><br />The N-Frame revolvers are the largest S&W handguns chambered in .357. They are also chambered in calibers such as .45 Colt, .44 Magnum, .41 Magnum, and .44 Special. The .357 N-Frames are the 27, which is S&W's fanciest regular production revolver and comes in a blued finish, and the 627, which is the same thing, only in stainless.<br /><br />I am sure that you can find a suitable S&W .357 revolver (which I feel is the best choice you can make) at a reasonable price. Don't pay too much for a 65 or 66!<br /><br />I am partial to the N-frame revolvers because I am a handloader and like the extra strength of the 27 and 627. But I think a 686 would be a very good choice indeed. It offers more durability than a 66, plus the added weight in its beefier frame and fully underlugged barrel will help tame some recoil for you and make it more pleasant to shoot.<br /><br />So, if you were to let me pick it out for you, it would be a 686! You ought to be able to snag a nice one for around $400 or so. If you like the 66, it'll work just fine, but don't pay as much as you would for a 686.<br /><br />I would suggest looking at gunsamwerica.com or auctionarms.com to get an idea what you want and what the price should be.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking at Dogsdad post I'm reminded that I have carried over the years, a S&W model 13, 19, 60, 66, & 27 in revolvers as a cop. And a Colt here n there.<br />In autos I've carried a S&W 645, S&W 5906, Berretta 96c, Glock 26 & 22, also as a cop.<br /><br />Unless you know how to clear a jam, or do "tap n rack" drills I would stay with a revolver as a first time gun buyer.<br /><br />As for "home defense", as the others have posted, a 12 or 20 guage shotgun with bird shot is the best bet. Ack, birdshot you say.....<br />Drywall will probably stop or greatly reduce the chance of birdshot going thru both panels of drywall and harming someone on the other side, like sleeping children, etc...<br />Put Double OO buckshot in the 12 or 20 guage and it will penetrate both walls, the neighbors, and the judge that lives down the street from ya....<br /> <br />The wife can shoot a shotgun easily and birdshot is good for critters if ya live in the boonies.<br /><br />Sensor lights and a barking dog will keep most if not all thugs away.<br /><br />Backpacking and hiking a .357 is a good idea. You can load .38 rounds and keep .38 birdshot rounds with ya if ya need it.<br />Most State and Federal hiking areas do not allow firearms on the property of the park.<br /><br />Unless you have lugged a weapon for miles hiking or backpacking, weight will be a issue. You may want to consider a lightweight framed revolver.<br />The titanium framed weapons are very light weight and unless you constantly feed them +P rounds or .357 rounds they will last a lifetime.<br />How you carry it may be a issue also. Does your backpack frame have the hip belt? Can you carry the firearm on your hip and still carry the backpack? Will a shoulder holster be a option?<br /><br />Good luck with your purchase.