Handgun advice

Rickfifty

Seaman
Looking to purchase my first handgun. I've read the other post and figure somebody out there has some good recommendations. I want good quality first & foremost. Prefer American made. Not sure if I'll get a semi-auto or revolver(or both). Not looking for the most expensive either. I want one for the usual reasons; target practice, home protection, etc. Any ideas on brand, caliber, type, etc?

drakes only

Cadet
Re: Handgun advice

go with a ruger 9mm i think mine is a p-89. the thing i liked was nothing will rust. the action is stainless and the rest is a polymer. shoots good, and no problems after several rounds. when i bought it i was looking for a good pistol for home and boat protection.

Drowned Rat

Captain

I like a quality revolver for home protection. Easy to teach the wife to use. Just point and shoot. No such thing as a jam with a revolver and if you get a dud round you just pull the trigger again, you don't need to clear the gun first like you would with an automatic. S&W is my personal choice.

one more cast

Captain

I suggest buying a .22 unless money is not an issue. To become a good shot with a handgun takes lots of practice. Once you become a good shot then buy a larger caliber. Also flinching is an issue with larger calibers. To find out if you are flinching (with a revolver) just insert one empty and five live rounds and give the cylinder a spin. This is a sure fire way to cure flinching because you will feel like an idiot when the gun jumps when all you hear is click.As far as what to buy? Something that feels good in your hand.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with ruger 9mm,inexpensive,easy to shoot.<br />revolver's are more dependable,but you only got +/-6 shots were as you can pop off 15rnd's change clips and ready to go before you would ever have the revolver reloaded.<br />my 2cents

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by fixin:<br /> I agree with ruger 9mm,inexpensive,easy to shoot.<br />revolver's are more dependable,but you only got +/-6 shots were as you can pop off 15rnd's change clips and ready to go before you would ever have the revolver reloaded.<br />my 2cents
Hey fixin...a good shot only needs one round :D

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ONE? What fun is that?their gonna be sorry if they come a creeping around my back door,hard ta get them to sink too!<br />
14_6_201.gif

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Rickfifty:<br /> Looking to purchase my first handgun. I've read the other post and figure somebody out there has some good recommendations. I want good quality first & foremost. Prefer American made. Not sure if I'll get a semi-auto or revolver(or both). Not looking for the most expensive either. I want one for the usual reasons; target practice, home protection, etc. Any ideas on brand, caliber, type, etc?
Rick, decide which function is most important for you. There is no one size fits all handgun. Especially for someone new to handguns. If your primary purpose is for personal protection, buy a medium frame, 4" barrel 357 magnum revolver. You can buy inexpensive 38 sp caliber reloads, which are lighter loads for target shooting and heavier 38 Special + P hollow points for defense. The heavier weight of the medium frame .357 magnum revolver will absorb more recoil when using the less powerfull varieties of the 38 special. That will make it more controlable. You can shoot .38's in a .357 but not the other way around.

Rickfifty

Seaman

How about pros & cons between Semi-auto & revolver? Also, this may seem petty but some guns look ugly(Ruger?) and some look like fine machinery. I've seen some beautiful revolvers. Boomyal, which .357 were you refering too? Thanks for all quick replies. You guys are somethin' else!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

If you are looking for new, you cannot beat a Ruger, but there are a lot of others worthy of consideration, esp. Taurus. If your lookin for economy in your first gun, go with a Taurus. They are made in Brazil, kind of a Smith and Wesson knockoff but very well regarded.<br /><br />There are a lot of awful good automatics available but you should stick to the higher price ones for safety and reliability. Revolvers, on the other hand are simpler to use for a newboy, inherently safer, more reliable and more economical.<br /><br />Don't let me limit your choice. I'm just guessing at what would be best for a new shooter who has expressed your need. If you really get into it, then you can add to your collection as your experience dictates. You'll never go wrong having a revolver in your inventory.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

I'm with Boomyal on the recomendation. S&W, Colt and Ruger all make quality weapons.<br />My wife never had enough hand strength to work the slide on my SW 659 very well. If it had jammed in a panic she would not have been able to clear it.<br /><br />My preference is for S&W. The trigger action in their revovlers is great right out of the box. Very solid guns and I like how the cylinder release is on their revolvers.<br /><br />For absolute durability I would go with Ruger.<br /><br />Colt is very well thought of, I have just not shot a lot of them so really can't offer any opinions.<br /><br />My preference for a gun for home protection would be a revolver. <br /><br />As for ammo for the gun I'm not sure I would go with high velocity ammo. If you miss the rounds can punch right through the walls and hit someone in another room.<br /><br />There is ammo made for home defense that has a lot of knock down force but dissapates its energy quickly.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

One great piece of advice is what OMC says---to get a .22 for starters. They are fun, inexpensive, and easy to shoot and provide a very good means to become a good shot with a handgun (not an unimportant aspect of defensive handgunning). For casual use, a revolver or semiauto would be fine for a .22.<br /><br />Now...this is vital, so please heed my advice: get a good revolver for serious defensive work. Revolvers are nearly foolproof. When a firearm is needed for defense, adrenaline will be flowing like mad and unless you are already very, very familiar with using handguns, you are much more likely to make a mistake with a semiautomatic pistol than a revolver. The mistake could be the unintentional discharge of the weapon resulting in accidental death, or it could be a mechanical or operator malfunction resulting in your own demise.<br /><br />I'm not saying a semiauto is not a good defensive weapon in the hands of a proficient user. I am saying that a revolver is far better for the unfamiliar and the beginning handgunner. Semiautos are inherently more complex to operate than revolvers, and when in a stressful situation, simplicity is king.<br /><br />Go with something at least as powerful as a .38 Special. It and the 9mm should be regarded as the minimum calibers for a handgun not carried on the person regularly. A revolver in .357 Magnum is probably the optimum choice because you can shoot .38 Special ammo (it has relatively light recoil) out of it for practice, but keep it stoked with full-power .357 Magnum ammo (a very effective defensive caliber) when it's in reserve for defensive purposes.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

rolmops

Vice Admiral

If you are not a good shot and you are interested in stopping someone,then go for at least .40 caliber.<br />You can shoot someone with a .22 caliber and hit him,yet he will probably be able to shoot back.<br />You hit someone with a heavy caliber round anywhere in his body,then probably you will also have thrown him on the ground because of the heavy impact.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

"Hey, I'm just posting for rank"<br /><br />Hey, ya better step it up a bit, dogsdad. :p Yer gettin further behind.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Back when I was into hunting and such, I always used a 44 Mag. pistol and rifle.<br /><br />The only thing I can add to what has already been said, is to take a gun safety course at your local gun shop.<br /><br />They will have lots of guns for you to look at and try out to see what feels right to you.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

It just depends on what you want. if you want home protection, get a dog.<br />Otherwise, go to several gun dealers and handle different weapons to see what you want. My use for weapons is different than most, but I will never carry a 9mm, not enough damage created. For all around shooting I like the 40 cal. Good flat shot, nice weight, good all around. A 45 is a little heavy and has a lot of drop over distance of bullet travel due to weight. For target shootin, a 9 is good enough and fun to shoot.<br />As far as semi auto compared to revolver, also depends on what you like and what is most comfortable to shoot. revolver will be more reliable, and are usually more accurate. For a first gun, a semi auto is a little dangerous. Once they fire, they are instantly ready to fire again. beginners sometimes forget this and do not de-**** the weapon after use. Glock and Sigma are excelent weapons, but because of weight have a habit of stovepiping the round if you aren't careful or limp wrist it. They are also more expensive. <br />A good 1st weapon would be a Smith and Wesson 5906. Good price, nice size, reliable. A lot of law enforcement agencies have gone away from them to glock, so it is easy to find one of these used. <br />Just feel around, check them all, don't let a salesman pressure you into some sissy gun, and pick the one you feel right with. When you find the gun for you, you will know. It will just feel good. My weapon of choice is H&K but price dictates my favorite to be Baretta.

jt57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lots of very good advice,but please do take a gun safety course,not only will it make you safer,it will help to make you a better shooter also.

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

Carol uses the revolver on account of the size and wieght as well as the fact that she does not possess the strengh required to work the slide.<br />also, she crries it outside where it is exposed to dirt. less moving parts and less chance of it malfunctioning because it's dirty.<br />Regarding economy, I wish we would have purchased a used pistol for her. again, because it's exposed to the elements and it's already broke-in. <br />In Calif you have some additional laws to abide by, and laws are already drafted to prevent you from a handgun purchase! (machine guns are okay), JK, Thats another thread...sl<br />i went with the ruger 9mm.