Habanero Peppers

rwise

Captain
Re: Habanero Peppers

Allways were gloves!<br />12 Hab's (whole seed and all)<br />1 or 2 (or more) cloves of garlic<br />pinch salt<br />enuf vinager and water (50/50) to make a liquid<br />put all in a blender, and blend. take this and mix 50/50 with Italian dreasing. coat wings with flour (can add spices to flour (salt pepper, red pepper etc.)) let wing stand in fridge in flour (unuf to keep them from touhing each other). Heat oil hot, drop wings in untill golden (should float) remove from oil drain drop in sauce mix, searve!<br />We call these fire breathing dragon wings at my house! They don't last long. Some say they are a bit hot, I say that leaves more for me!<br />enjoy! Oh and the Italian dreasing can by subed out for butter to calm it down a bit.<br /><br />I grow Hab's and other peppers every year, make my own sauces, the store bought stuff just tastes like vinager now.

SoulWinner

Commander

The Tobasco peppers I grow are very close to being as hot as Habanero. I don't like the taste of Habanero though. They taste like the smell of cat pee. Just nasty. Tobasco on the other hand has a wonderful flavor, and if the plants are kept healthy, they can produce enough heat make most grown men cry.<br /><br />To me, it isn't about the heat though. it is about the flavor, that's why I have chosen to grow only tobasco.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

A word of warning. I remember reading a magazine article about a girl who used Habanero chillies while cooking a romantic meal for her partner, she didn't use gloves and he ended up in hospital. It brought tears to my eyes just reading it.

FSHKPR

Ensign

i love habeneros!vi like to dry them too then put them in a coffee grinder. it stores well and goes great on top of just about anything.just be careful how much you use. my favorite is to take one and slice it very very thin then put it on toast with strawberry jam.

Realgun

Commander

Does anone know the story where the man love hot chilis is in a contest against an indian and he throws the contest and then the indian gives him the chili seeds?

dolluper

Captain

We heat are houses up here with those peppers<br />[just kidding] But it is awful nice to make a hot chili with them ,tobassco, and hot chili powder<br />for those cold cold days of winter here,it makes you all warm and cosy especially at -20 outside

brother chris

Commander

No habeneros for me! Been there, burned my mouth, not again. <br />I like hot sauce on anything(just about). Actually hot sauce on buttered toast is awesome for breakfast. <br />But no habies for me.

rwise

Captain

a couple of years ago, my daughter and (now X) son-in-law were over for diner. I had just picked peppers from the garden, and yes Habs were in the mix. Two of the biggest prettiest habs all year, all washed up and there on the table. When he came into the room I pulled the habs to the side and told him they were to hot for him to eat. He grabs one and into the mouth it goes, chews it maybe three times and to the tharsh he runs. 1 qt of water 2 sticks of butter, 3/4 loaf of bread, and he is bright red! next day he had a burning rash all over his body and had to go to the hospital. I warned him, everone said he took it as a chalange! oh well if you can't take the heat get out of the family (just kidding)<br />Edit: I forgot to put the milk in the list, but he finished that off too!

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

MILK is the answer to hot peppers! <br /><br />DONT swallow the milk let it sit in your mouth to counter act the oil from the pepper<br /><br />NOT WATER - water actually makes it worse as it spreads the oil around.<br /><br />It is the ribs and the seeds that make the pepper hot, if you cut out those parts the rest of the habenero is nice and mild...<br /><br />We grow different ones becuase <br /><br />A - they look nice, especially if you let them ripen on the plant, red green purples orange<br />B - the deer wont eat them

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

I made the mistake of rubbing my eye an hour after chopping some jalapenos. :eek: A mistake I won't make again. I'm glad I wasn't chopping habeneros.

rwise

Captain

My sauces come with a label warning not to touch eyes or other sensitive body parts! And one person (local UPS driver) took my hab sauce and turned it up without any reaction except to say it was very tasty. I made him a sauce (should have worn gloves!) with the veins (ribs) of the habs, warned him not to try it. but he did anyway, ran out the door across the parking lot to the medex and bought a loaf of bread. he came back and said that it was the hottest sauce he had tried!<br />one drop in a bowl of chilli does the job!<br /><br />I agree water is the worst thing you can do. anything with fat in it works. I find that bacon grease followed by dish soap will remove most of it from the hands.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's good to see so many Iboaters share my interest in spicy food. <br /><br />Some of my coworkers joke about the bottle of Tabasco sauce in my desk drawer but I think they are just missing out.<br /><br />I'm not giving up on the Habs - just laying off of them for a little bit. Once bitten, twice shy. :)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I might need to work out a trade with jsfinn- habs for hatch. Or maybe just bbq with home brew and try some hatch.

Link

Rear Admiral

Well this thread spains a lot! <br />I've only been doing this with fresh peppers for the last couple years.<br />The Basic: You can add a lot more stuff<br /><br />1: One tomato finely diced<br />2: One white onion of same size finely diced<br />3: One whole pepper(seeds and all) 3 inches or so Very finely diced<br />4: Fresh Cilantro coarsely chopped 1/2 cup or so to taste<br />5: One small lime. Cut and squeeze in juice<br />Mix everything in a bowl, cover and chill in fridge.<br /><br />I use the above daily for a lot of things.<br />But SOMETIMES it takes on a life of its own. <br />Its so HOT I have to make three more batches without adding anymore pepper just so you can eat it...Habanero's you say.. well I never look at what they are named! :eek: <br /><br />Will be looking next time :)

FSHKPR

Ensign

you gotta be careful of those oils, i use gloves when handleing alot of them. the first time i cut up about 20 or 30 of them drying i did not use gloves. u figured after washing my hands real good i was safe. i did not feel anything till about 5 minutes after i went to the bathroom. oooooooowwwwwww!!!! now i always wear gloves if i am handling more than 2 or 3 of them.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey RubberFrog - I've got a few bottles of Chocolate Stout left from my last batch, and a full tank of propane. I planted some habs last weekend so I'll have plenty of 'em soon. :) <br /><br />I bet we could work something out.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

jsfinn, shoot me an email sometime using my user name at chickenstick dot com and we'll try to figure something out.<br />George

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just remember to keep some frozen ice cream handy. It's a great antidote if you overdose on heat :D

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is one hot pepper, but great to cook with. I wouldnt eat em raw though. I like my tastebuds to stay in my mouth.