Habanero Peppers

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Man do I love spicey food. I have no problems popping jalapeno's one after the other. I put Tobasco sauce on everything.<br /><br />Tonight I tried something a little different. When I was picking up dinner at the grocery store I saw they had Habanero Peppers and thought I'd give 'em a shot. I threw a couple of them on the grill with the Tuna I was cooking up.. <br /><br />Man oh man, I met my match.<br /><br />Habanero Peppers are HOT. After taking a big bite out of one of them, I rushed to the kitchen sink to try to wash the burn out of my mouth.<br /><br />15 mintues later, my mouth was still burning, but my eyes and nose finally stopped running. It's about an hour later now and I can still feel a little tiny burn. <br /><br />There are a couple left in the fridge ... not sure yet if I'm going to give them another shot or throw 'em out..

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral
Re: Habanero Peppers

You and I would get along great. I love hot food and beer. I still have about a half bushel of Hatch Chiles in my freezer. The wife and I buy them every year in New Mexico.<br />Habaneros are one of the hottest peppers out there. Don't laugh, habaneros go great with carrots. I know. Dice about a quarter of a pepper in with 3 or 4 carrots and maybe a little bit of garlic. I'm not talking about those nasty pickled carrots floating in vinegar. Just fresh carrots (baby carrots are best) with a little pepper and garlic. Even then, they're still super hot.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My Fiancee and I just picked up a couple different kinds of pepper plants today to grow in the back yard. In the mix, we got two Habanero plants ... still iffy about them. :) <br /><br />I've been meaning to check out the Buffalo Wing Factory - I hear they have some pretty good hot wings.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I've never tried them but I heard they have a nice beer bar.<br />Pepper plants grow great out here. Last year we had banana wax peppers, cayenne, cherry bombs and some evil little red peppers (can't remember the name). I still have some of the evil ones in the freezer, they've mellowed with time but they're still too hot to do much with.<br />What kind of brewing do you do? I just recently jumped to all grain and I have my first batch in primary.

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's a guy from Texas that I know that would use a bit of habanero in his chili. Made for some great stuff, but he didn't put too much in to keep it edible. There is also a local Mexican place that has several different habanero hot sauces. Each one hotter than the other.<br /><br />Tried them all for the first time a few weeks ago. I love hot foods, but this stuff made me want to cry.<br /><br />I'll use the sauces again next time I'm there. :D

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Me too. When I'm reading the menu at a restaurant and there's an item with a special warning about how hot it is - then that's what I have to have... ;) - there've been times that it's cost me a bit of pain and agony too :eek: :D <br /><br />Jsfinn - I wouldn't throw them out - sounds like they would make an ideal ingredient for a hot dish. I'm sure there'll be some iboats members with some good recipes :)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I love hot stuff too, but like to actually taste stuff other than burn the mucus membranes outa my head :D <br /><br />If you guys want to 'tone' those things down a bit..<br /><br />deseed and devein them before eating 'em. ;)

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

jsfnn<br /><br />you certainly picked the worst ones. I bought some a little while back and was told to wear gloves when cutting them as the oils permeate through ones skin.<br /><br />I use tasty, less hot peppers to make up the bulk of my chilli sauce and then add Habanero's for the bite.<br /><br />When in a more dilute form they have a distinct taste of the sweet green peppers. <br /><br /> The strength of peppers - Scofiled Unit <br /><br />Don't throw them use them wisely.<br /><br />Andrew

one more cast

Captain

I've tried them a couple of times but pass them by now. Just a little to much heat for me.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yea those things are hot!!! If they could bottle the extract of those up, I'll bet it would make a great carb cleaner.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I dry them and grind into flakes a little courser than black pepper would be ground. They're just safer to handle that way! Dried Haberneros take on a tangy citrus flavor and keep thier heat. Ground Habernero is great on roasted or grilled potatoes, fish, well everything! Any more than a half a teaspoon in any recipe would be too much.

Homerr

Commander

I grew Habinero's once... and only once.<br /><br />WAY too hot for me!<br /><br />I like a comfortable pepper such as the jalapeño.<br /><br />Habinero's are the tactical nuke of the pepper realm! :eek: <br /><br /><br />H.

Realgun

Commander

Thats pretty funny we eat chili here like its Icecream on a hot day :) Me excepted! :D <br /><br />I never could figure out why the stuff had to be so hot but in growing up they burned out the tastebuds I think so the hotter the better.<br /><br />On a side note we have a Japanses place that has the hot mustard suace. It used to clear my sinuses real well. now I have to have the concentrated stuff just to taste it!

Realgun

Commander

RubberFrog where did you get hatch chili in WashingtonDC, and did the neighbors freak when you roasted them? :) Or did you have them roasted and shipped.<br />The batch last year was weak but the year before last was extra hot.<br /><br />Nothing like a green chili breakfast Burrito!<br /><br />-Green Chili breakfast Burito-<br />Basically make scrabled eggs and bacon<br />And fry some small chunks of potato till mushy. All frying to be done in lard. <br />Then use a wee bit O green chili that has been roasted and seeded. Rough chop the chili.<br />Get a flour tortilla fresh made is best.<br />On the end across put the potato and eggs.<br />Lay the two strips of bacon near the middle and parallel with the pots and eggs. Place a teaspoons worth(for gringos) of the chili along the bacon. Tablespoons for the hardy!<br />Roll from the pots side to the unused side.<br /><br />For the adventuresome green chili stew is poured over the burito.<br /><br />BTW you don't use a fork and knife you pick it up and squeeze the open end shut.<br /><br />Enjoy.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Realgun, it started when we lived in Phoenix. We used to drive to Albuquerque to get enough chili for about 20 people. We would have a huge roasting party (bring your own bbq). After we moved to DC we still needed our chili fix, so we visit the balloon festival and bring back a few bushels of green chili every year. You should see the airport people.... I use duct tape to keep the coolers shut. Since the TSA ALWAYS opens the cooler to inspect, I throw a small role of duct tape and a note that says "please" on the top. Those TSA guys sure don't know how to use duct tape very well. There, that's my green chili story.<br />PS: breakfast burritos rule, so do green chili cheeseburgers, and my favorite- green chili sliders.

ehenry

Commander

Anyone ever made candied jalapenos? They're pretty good party food to go along with cheese, crakcers and summer sausage.

LadyFish

Admiral

All I know about habaneros is I tried them once and don't care to try them again. We have an old shrimper friend who used to dry them and mix them with his bottom paint to keep barnacles from growing. Anything that potent dosen't belong in my stomach.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

I make my own hot sauce with habanero peppers, it's awesome when used in preparing hot wings, having lots of your favourite ice cold beer is highly recommended :D

D

DJ

We have an old shrimper friend who used to dry them and mix them with his bottom paint to keep barnacles from growing
Now that ought to tell you something. :eek: