GXi-F Volvo low fuel pressure pump replacement possible?

bhollehday

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My low pressure pump is noisy and it’s had a couple hard starts every once in awhile. I’m having it serviced at a shop and he is saying to replace the whole fuel pump kit assembly. He said my pressure and vacuum checks out on both high/low pumps, but to be aware it could give out anytime. The pump assembly is upwards of $800. I found some low pressure pumps online but the shop says the way the assembly works, you can not replace just the low pressure pump. You can the high pressure but not the low...

any one have some invite on this? Is the low pressure pump replaceable?

I found this along with some others

MOSTPLUS Low Pressure Fuel Pump for VOLVO PENTA 4.3/5.0/5.7 GXI injection 21608511 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GJF9XK4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_b2LNDbS7GRXTT

alldodge

Staff member
shop says the way the assembly works, you can not replace just the low pressure pump

That's funny in a bad way

If the low pump is working and does have correct suction (which isn't much) then it may not be the pump, might be the antisiphon valve, collapsing fuel line, tank pickup

The question to ask which I have found none will ever agree to: I the pump assembly is replaced, do you guarantee the work, and if so for how long?

Never found one to get past the first guarantee, much less any length of time

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I would refurbish it myself, I did. It`s not difficult. You can clean the insides and replace what need replacing. I have also noticed that you can buy knockoff replacement pumps on ebay much cheaper than OEM.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Might this have relevance to the flaking paint issue we see on the same mercruiser engine ? Or is that only a merc issue ?

bhollehday

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does anyone know of any instruction or videos on refurbishing the pump?