Gun law debate...

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Gun law debate...

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> If you get all the guns, you are bound to get the 2 % at issue.
Unfortunately not. If you get all the legally held guns then the illegally held guns will still be out there (if someone's gone to the trouble of getting an untraceable firearm then do you REALLY think a new law will make them hand it in?!)-and the owners will be a darn sight less scared to use them as everyone will be easy pickings...

Skinnywater

Commander

For my money, if I were an NRA member, I'd want them spending my money trying to get control of the 2 % that cause most of the problem, and be percieved as part of the solution rather than the problem.
PW, I'm not sure if I'm doing your debate correct but it's likely that the 2% you make example of are involved in illegal drugs.<br />Now keep in mind the full effect. As the drastic reduction of overall crime progresses, more time is available to law enforcement concentrate on problem areas. <br />Also the prisons contain over 50% that are non violent drug offenders. That's a huge number and it now frees up plenty of space for those 2% that need to go away.<br />This is less a NRA problem than it is a failed priority of law enforcement/judicial policy, the "war on drugs".

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Originally posted by PW2:<br />[QB...probably something like 2 % of the guns are responsible for 98% of the problem...[/QB]
You are probably correct about that. And we would indeed like to take these people off the street. Too bad liberal activist judges and parole boards keep putting these piles of excrement back out on the avenue to do it again, because I would be willing to bet a chunk of money that the vast majority of these people are repeat offenders.<br /><br />I say that when repeat offenders commit violent crimes, the judges and parole boards responsible for their presence in the general public should be charged as accomplices with the same violent crime said offenders commit. That would put a stop to the monkey business TODAY.<br /><br />Uhhh...and I can't give you a pass on "2 % of the guns are responsible..." Puhleeeeze! Guns are responsible for NOTHING. Criminals are responsible for crimes---not guns!

PW2

Commander

Come on..<br /><br />Let's next figure out a way to blame it on Clinton.<br /><br />It does indeed work. Canada has far fewer gun related homicides per capita. <br /><br />But absolute results are irrelevant anyway. It doesn't matter whether it will work, only that it appears that it should work.<br /><br />Heck, the republicans think they can stop teen age sex, pregnancy, and STD's by preaching abstinence--Nancy Reagan thought you could stop drug use by "Just saying no"<br /><br />It doesn't matter whether it will work or not, but only that those in power can convince others that it "should" work

Skinnywater

Commander

Come on..Let's next figure out a way to blame it on Clinton..........But absolute results are irrelevant anyway.......... It --Nancy Reagan thought you could stop drug use by "Just saying no".......It doesn't matter whether it will work or not, but only that those in power can convince others that it "should work"
How bout a little science to this argument, and a little less blind assumptions and slogans and catch phrases.
Well so much for your little experiment. :confused:

PW2

Commander

To the contrary.<br /><br />You can't tell me there isn't some way to improve/lessen the amount of gun violence in this country effectively, while at the same time leaving genuine sportsmen and other responsible gun owners alone.<br /><br />Emotional arguments on either side of this debate are not helpful.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I just told you the answer, but it's an answer you do not like.<br /><br />So-called "gun-control" laws have never worked in America. Surely you don't think we need more of the same---that is insanity!<br /><br />A return to old-fashioned, common sense justice is the answer. The pre-60s kind. Why is that so abhorrent to you?

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> To the contrary.<br /><br />You can't tell me there isn't some way to improve/lessen the amount of gun violence in this country effectively, while at the same time leaving genuine sportsmen and other responsible gun owners alone.<br /><br />Emotional arguments on either side of this debate are not helpful.
As Usual,............<br /><br />It's been Explained here,.. Quite Clearly.......<br />The "Problem" is,.... It's Not the Answer that You,+ all your Liberal Friends Want to hear.............<br /><br />It's about "Crime Control",........ Not "Gun Control"................<br />And,........ Attitude,.........<br />The Right says,..."Stand Up,+ Take Care of Yourself"..................<br />The Left says,......."Don't Worry, Don't do a Thing,.... The State will do that For You".............<br />That's What it's All About,......... That's Also the Answer to Most of the American Society's Problems.....................<br /><br />Actual Enforcement of the laws Already on the books,+ Incarceration of the Offenders of the laws, Already on the books will lower the "Crime Rate"...........<br /><br />More Laws, creating New Criminals is Not the Answer..............<br /><br />I find it odd that the Liberals Scream Bloody Murder when they see a precieved attack on the 1st, or 14th, or any other Amendment of the Constitution,............<br />Yet they Continuously Attack the 2nd Amendment,............<br />Truth Is,..............<br />Without the 2nd Amendment,....... There would be No Constitution.................

aspeck

Staff member

What would be interesting to know is not the reduction in over all gun violence, but was there a reduction in violent crimes? My guess is for the crimes of passion and the "reactive" types of gun violence, without a gun it became knife violence, or club violence, or vehicular violence. Did violent crimes decrease? I have no statistics, but my guess would be no.