Gun advice

Raghauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Gun advice

JasonJ: My reasoning behind using 145 gr. hydrashock in 9mm is really due to my environment. I live in a suburban neighborhood of conventionally constructed housing. Most home defense situations yield as many misses as hits... not sure I can document that, but it certainly makes sense given the excitement of the situation while the adrenalin is flowing. While I pride myself in groupings of 6" at 100' with my Beretta, who knows how well I'll shoot a human in my home? For a miss, the hydrashock is likely to break up when it hits drywall, whereas 115 gr. FMJ is likely to go through all the walls in my house and possibly another house or two down the road. Combined with the fact that there is no clear shot in my home that can possibly be more than 20', I really don't need greater power... I am placing the members of my household and community in jeopardy if I do. Too great a risk, in my opinion. I have more powerful guns, but I don't need them given the highly unlikely event that they will be needed (if so, I can get to them pretty quickly).<br /><br />Many close friends in law enforcement have told me first hand what a 9mm can do to a human being. They have seen it. Sure it's weaker than many other firearms, but respect it's power. It will kill easily. Proof of this occurs everyday across US cities since it is the preferred caliber of gangbangers.<br /><br />I look at it this way... Law enforcement prefers .40 because it is more powerful than the 9mm. Since they are at a significantly greater risk and need firearms to perform their duties day to day, I think it's a great choice for them... but it doesn't necessarily make it the best choice for me.

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a small Taurus .38sp snubnose that is excellent and perfect for stashing somewhere. I also have a CWP, so I could carry it anywhere on me if I wanted.<br /><br />Others mentioned the shotgun... That's all fine and dandy but a bit bulky to swing up and around at 3:00am when you're half asleep.<br /><br />Butch A.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just skimmed this topic..sorry if I repeat something someone else already said..<br /><br />What you want is something you can fire comfortably and actually hit something and still get the job done. Shooting squirrels doesn't require 357 but if your intent is larger game (bears/intruders) then you might need some firepower. Is your intent to do damage or scare someone off? You don't need a "dirty harry special" to fire a warning shoot at an unfriendly neighbor :) <br /><br />Find a shop that will let you try them out and find out what they can do and how they feel.<br /><br />I'm guessing that if I happen to be in the area I should call before "dropping by" :) :) <br /><br />-JustMrWill

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

wtvsh
<br /><br /><br />accept NO substitutes... Benelli M-1014<br /><br /> :D <br /><br /><br />sorry for going off topic .. i just had to.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

JustMrWill wrote:
Is your intent to do damage or scare someone off?
Just trying to scare somebody off is a good way to get your a$$ shot off.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

An alternate defense tool, though not as "fun", how about an industrial sized can of pepper spray. I understand that Alaskan fishing guides carry this as a deterrent to bears.<br /><br />Anyhoo, I still prefer big bore hand guns, revolvers in particular. <br /><br />BTW, studies I have read suggest that a hollow point bullet that hits drywall for example, fills the bullet cavity with same, thus giving that hollow point the properties of a solid non expanding bullet. Thus, HP may be poor choice if concerned about innocents in other rooms of a home.

matthews_jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Best gun advise I ever received. Learn to hit what you're aiming at.

Carphunter

Commander

I personally pack a Kel-Tec 9mm on occasion. With the Fiocci(sp) bullet I am using, it is said that I am getting approximately 78% one shot stopping power. I like it cause its small, and it holds more rounds then a comparable sized .40 or .357. I figure I ain't the greatest shot, so I want more rounds. ;) If I remember correctly, it cost approximately $300.00 when I bought it. Its not top of the line, but I have fired many rounds through it without any problems. Its not nearly as powerful as a .40 or .357 though.<br /><br />......but, with the proper ammo, a 9mm is much more than a p-shooter.