Gun advice

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Gun advice

.40 S&W seems to be the magic law enforcement round of the day. It is a bit larger than 9mm, and packs more punch. In my opinion, 9mm is a good round as long as you run the right rounds through it. Cor-Bon 115 grain jhp +P 9mm, or the Federal Hydra-Shok equivelant has similar knockdown to the .40 S&W caliber, in a more compact cheaper package. The standard Winchester Silvertip round is a fine home defense round in 9mm, it will put a dirtbag down just fine. If you ever want to run a +P round though, your gun need to be up to the task. +P means increased pressure, more power basically. Older handguns can fail, but higher end guns and newer guns built within ten years can handle +P rounds. <br /><br />I also like 9mm because it is cheap. Its pointless to run out and buy a big bore gun if you can't afford to run some rounds through it, and you really should run hundreds of rounds through the gun to get comfortable with it. You won't want to learn that the gun does not function well or has some weird firing traight when someone is breaking in.<br /><br />I Like Glocks, Sigs, that sort of thing. I also like the 1911, just because it is the quintessential military issue piece of the day (Army uses Berreta 9mm now). Glocks (or Tupperware Guns as they are reffered to) aqquire and re-aqquire targets very well, they have good balance. Replacing the plastic recoil spring guide rod with a titanium one, replacing the 17 pound recoil spring with a 22 pound one in the Glocks results in a weapon that has less muzzel flip, which means more consistant firing patterns and faster cycling of action for increased firing rate. You'll spend $500 to $600 for a Glock, but its a good weapon. You can find them used for less obviously. Good luck....

Raghauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another fan of 9mm. For shooting targets, I can buy 100 rounds of FMJ 115 grain Winchester at Walmart for $11 incl. tax. For home defense, I keep a few mags loaded with 145 grain hydrashock. More than enough power to stop bad guys at close range, which is what you're likely to be when defending with a hand gun.<br /><br />.40 cal is what law enforcement has moved to. More power than 9mm and more rounds per mag. than the 1911... the reason the military went from 1911 to 9mm in the first place (15 rounds/mag instead of 7).<br /><br />I like Sig's and Rugers, but my sidearm is a Beretta 92FS (military M-9). I have literally run about 5000 rounds through it so far without even one jam, and it remains deadly accurate up to 100 feet. Also, a lot easier to take apart for cleaning compared to my old Colt 1911.<br /><br />Don't get me wrong, the big guns are fun and I like to shoot them, but their practicality is, um, well, non-existent when you compare the cost of ammo. If I want dropping power, I use a 12 gauge.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For Home defence , early in the morning when your half asleep dont think you can beat a shotgun.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Find a nice S&W 686 or 627 or 27---all revolvers---and don't look back. Double action revolvers are just almost foolproof, and that's what you want in a high-stress defense situation.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Link

Rear Admiral

Have a friend who teaches home security/defence.<br />First step:<br />3 foot of gravel/river rock around the perimeter of the home.<br /><br />Second step:<br />Yappy dog that gets used to home noise at night and will cause a ruckuss when they hear something stepping on gravel.<br /><br />Third step:<br />Good security system with alarm and lights<br /><br />Forth step:<br />Weapon:<br />First Choice. Double barrel 18" shot gun<br />Shortest barrel length allowed in your state.<br /><br />Second choice. Double action revolver.<br />No safety to worry about<br />No cocking or pulling the slide back with semi's<br />Just point and pull the trigger<br /><br />To quote dogsdad<br /> Double action revolvers are just almost foolproof, and that's what you want in a high-stress defense situation.<br /><br />This is what my friend teaches. Having had to put several rounds into drug crazed perks who feel no pain with a 9mm he now recommends a 45 ACP for the knock down power.

NathanY

Commander

Well being an avid shooter my self, I had to chime in on this one.<br /><br />Lets see you want a pistol that has plenty of knock down and not alot of kick. Well I say .357 SIG or .40 S&W. iether one can be had in a Glock. I dont care what anyone on this board says, for tactical and defense purposes, Glock can not be beat. Why do you think that most all new guns use the Glock style? Look at all the new S&W models. Another is anything 1911 style. But most of them come in 9mm Luger or .45 ACP. 1911 are relatively heavy when compared to the Glock, but is deadly accurate, even more so than the Glock. There are approx 40 manufacturers that make 1911's, and you can interchange almost any part with any manufacturer. Key work is ALMOST. The 1911 is the best design ever created in a pistol, that is why it has changed very little in the last 90 years, there is just no way to make the design an better. There are more than enough accessories for both pistols out there. <br /><br />If you will contact your local shooting range, they will have pistols there for you to rent, just see what you like and are comfortable with.

maxxpower

Seaman

Check out a SIG PRO 2340. Available in 9mm, .40, or 357 sig. I have had the .40 for about 4 years and I love it. Light weight, well balanced, well made polymer pistol for around $500.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Again, thanks for all the advice - I appreciate it. Next step is to try some on for size. I'll start with my son's .357 mag and then go to the gunshop.

Homerr

Commander

I keep my 357 DA in a push button-type lockbox under my bed, and my trusty 18" 12ga in my closet.<br /><br />I prefer .357 magnum or .45 ACP.<br /><br />If it's just for home defense, you might consider a revolver. As my gun classes taught me, a revolver is less likely to fail in a situation whereas a semi-auto can.<br />Like it was put to me: 6 barrels vs. 1.<br /><br />For an inexpensive and great gun, try the Rossi .357 DA revolver. It has a little zing to it, but I guarantee it will send the would-be-bad-guy pee-ing his pants!<br /><br />For a semi-auto, a 1911 style is most excellent.<br />I also wouldn't bother with the .380 or 9mm fly swatters. Although they would hurt, a bad guy would smile and keep on coming if he's doped up on something. <br />I prefer Colt in a semi-auto. I also like EAA.<br />Both offer .45 caliber.<br /><br /><br />.357 mag is minimum for home defense (imo).<br /><br />As Link said, a shotgun is also an excellent choice. Definately point and shoot! What you see is what you get (and most of your wall or window too :) .<br /><br />You also need to keep in mind the penetration of larger calibers through walls if you have family in other rooms. <br />A behemoth 44 Casul sounds and looks impressive, but it can knock down a bull Elk at 100 yards! (I know, cause my friend bagged his Elk with his :eek: ) <br />Just imagine how many walls a hunk of lead that size and power can go through!<br /><br /><br />H.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Glock compact in .40s&w is my choice.<br />Finally got around to getting them, and retiring my 9mm's.<br /><br />Second choice would be a revolver, I like the Ruger gp100 in .357<br /><br /><br /> http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=1703&return=Y <br /><br /><br />Whatever it is, make sure you handle itand compare the feel and operation of the piece. Most shops will let you try out several on their inhouse range. I think most if not all semi-autos will be priced higher than you want to spend, so look at the revolvers.<br /><br />Personally, I never liked the feel of the Glocks - UNTIL I fired them.<br />I was instantly impressed with the lack of recoil, rise, or roll, which allows you to remain on target for followup shots.<br /><br />I sold my Browning High Powers and bought Glocks.<br />And now have upsized from 9mm to .40s&w

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Hey, I was a big fan of my Mossberg short barrel pistol grip 12 guage with improved choke. Very fun, but I think he wants a good plinkin' gun as well as home D. Personally, I can't think of any dirtbag that breaks into a house that wouldn't brown his trou when he hears a shotgun shell being chambered.<br /><br />Rag, I personnaly don't care much for 9mm in anything more than 125 grain. You lose velocity that way. (For anyone who doesn't know, the grain is in reference to the weight of the bullet, not the amount of charge in the shell). It has been shown that large grain 9mm loses penetration unless it is in +P. I like the thought of a +P with a lighter jhp (jacketed hollow point) bullet. More velocity, more penetration, more dirtbag bleeding out... :)

Homerr

Commander

I messed around with a Glock a little, and I didn't like the feel of them. They felt too much like a toy. Very light.<br /><br />But they do what they are suppose to do... Shoot... and shoot very well!<br /><br />Guess you have to get used to them.<br /><br />LOL! Yes, the mere sound of a shotgun being loaded will make your bladder weak!<br />Heck, even keeping one of those lazer pen lights handy will scare people off. (And is fun to torture my cat) :) <br /><br /><br />H.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

These guys know their weapons. I don't like anything bigger than a 45, I found that my glock 21 is perfect for me. I also shoot lots of 9mm, have glock 17 & 24 or 26 can't remember, fun to shoot, but for knock down power and control in emergency, nothing better than the 45. I like glocks action and ease of cleaning plus they'll fire every time.

SoulWinner

Commander

Here are a couple of VERY interesting web sites for anyone thinking of using a firearm for home or self defence:<br /> Good Guys Win <br /><br />and,<br /> The Armed Citizen <br /><br />Now I would like address a couple f things that have come up during this thread. One of which is the supposed non-effectivness of 9mm. For defencive rounds I use the Federal Hydra Shock +P+, and Winchester SXT 147 GR., staggered in th mag. First shot out is Hydra Shock. The SXT you may remember as the infamous Black Talon that a huge upraor was made about in the 1990's, which was discontinued. The bullet was deamed "too deadly" by the liberal bed-wetters and pressure was put on Winchester to stop making the round. They did, and after a few years they reintroduced the round as the SXT, same round but no longer black. Causes massive bleeding and 95%+ kill ratio for center mass hits. Same with the Hydra Shock from what I remember. If that ain't deadly enough, get a 12 guage. Anyone who makes the statement that 9mm is a "flyswatter" or not stong to stop a burgler, please come over and demonstrate by shooting yourself with one of mine.<br /><br />Second, all this talk about shooting some perp hopped up on dope that can absorb rounds like Gumby and keep coming. That is total BS. Storys like that NEVER involve home invasions. Perps who do burglaries are NEVER high on PCP, they are just dirtbags who steal stuff, not drugged crazies like the Mansion Family (who weren't on drugs like PCP when they did their home invasions). I have been doped up on just about everything and I have never been so high that a loaded gun in my face wouldn't make me crap my pants! So lets stick to REAL arguments here.<br /><br />PS, just get an AK-47 and be done with it.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Zero offense intended, ever shoot anyone SW? I have not. Over the years I have time and again read or heard dialog regarding man stoppers. I am hugely amused by the almost rabid "discussions" around this topic. There is an ex-cop gun writer, Massad Ayoob or some such spelling claiming 125gr HP 357 as the best man stopper. OK. So what. IMO control, as in "gun control means hitting your target", is of prime importance, secondary to whatever gun/ammo combo is used.<br /><br />Me? in my theoretical thought process, a cartridge that will kill a deer sized animal is most likely reliable as a human stopper.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've always liked the .357 magnum. I hunt deer with it and trust it for home defense. I also own a 9mm, the 9mm is the gun that I carry when I feel the need to carry a concealed gun. I use a .357 lever action rifle around the farm and also have a .357 revolver that I use for hunting and for target practice. Sometimes I carry the revolver in the summer when I'm cutting hay, rats and coyotes tend to come out behind the hay mower and while I'm not good enough to hit a rat off a tractor, if a coyote were ever to get close enough I'd like to take one of those with a pistol.<br /><br />I don't think most homeowners need 15 rounds or super heavy calibres. A police officer might, but most of us could get by fine with a simple revolver.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Everyone says 9mm don't have the knock down power.About 2years ago my wife had a big rot/chow mix go after her in our front yard.I get home from work and dropped his big a$$ at 60 yards on a run with one shot.OK I was surprised I got him.This was a big dog 100+lbs at 60 yards.<br />Now if I was a Cop I would carry something of a larger cal.just on the fact of I'd want to be able to shoot through walls and such at the perp.<br />but in a house at close range you can't beet a shotgun.<br />anyway thats my 2cents

dogsdad

Lieutenant

The FBI was involved in a big shootout back in the eighties (may have been the early nineties), I believe, in Miami. They were armed with 9mm pistols and ended up losing quite a few agents. That incedent is what spurred the development of the 10mm. When the 10mm proved to be a bit too hot for the average law enforcement type, the 40 S&W was developed from the 10mm.<br /><br />I do not know of any scientific data that proves the 10mm/.40 S&W superiority over the 9mm, but there's no dount in my mind. I wouldn't want to be hit by a 9mm, or even a .22 Short, but I'd feel much better armed using the 125-grain JHP in a .357 Magnum, just as Massad Ayoob and many others have written about. The conclusion on the .357's efficacy as a manstopper is based on scientific analysis of data, not folklore or romantic hype.<br /><br />I agree that a shotgun can be a very formidable defensive weapon. Its biggest drawback is that it just isn't as convenient as a handgun.<br /><br /><br />-dd-