Gun advice

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class
In the spring we'll move to our new house on 6.5 acres in the country surrounded by farm land. I want to get a hand gun for obvious reasons. Even though I can apply for it in VA, I'm not interested in a permit to carry concealed.<br /><br />I have had semi-automatic target pistols (.22) before and like them. In the AF I qualified yearly on a .38 dual action revolver and am very comfortable using one.<br /><br />What are your recommendations? I'm leaning toward a 9mm semi-automatic but can be swayed. I'd also like to get this for something less than the national debt - like in the $300-$500 range.<br /><br />Thanks in advance - tcube

tylerin

Commander
Re: Gun advice

Colt 1911 Gov issue 45 will suit you just fine. <br />9mm just a p-shooter IMHO

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks - I'll check it out. Any ideas on price range?

tylerin

Commander

Not quite sure. You can get new and used. I own a Para-Ordinance which originally just made lower ends for the 1911 but then started making the whole gun basically modeled after the Colt. My PO lower end holds (14) 45's. You should have no problem finding something in your price range. Wait a little bit you'll get more opinions on the subject I'm sure. This is just mine

tylerin

Commander

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> Ruger Blackhawk 44 magnum rings bells around here. :D
If you like revolvers, and many do, the Ruger is an excellent gun. Been making that gun in different phases since the 50's

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I like the S&W .357mag, stainless steel, 6"barrel.<br />I think model #686. It'll last forever, shoot straight, and it'll always be safer than an auto. You can practice with .38spec ammo (like shooting 22's), and have enough punch with the .357 to protect your family from wild out of control and rabid bambi's....just a thought :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am a big fan of any John Browning design.<br /><br />Today that means a Browning Hi-Power (9mm) or a Colt 1911 variation in .45ACP.<br /><br />Neither of those use what I consider the best all-round cartridge for a handgun. . . the .357 Magnum.<br /><br />I think .22 rimfire is just not enough energy for possible needs in your situation, and the big magnums (.44 Remington Mag, for example) are too much for a casual shooter. They intimidate the shooter, which is a bad thing.<br /><br />A Ruger Blackhawk or RedHawk in .357 Mag handles the .38 Special for plinking and practice and the .357 is adequate for anything that might come along. A revolver in single or double action is very easy to reload for, which cannot be said for a semi-auto.<br /><br />Police and military have gone to the 9mm. . . Beretta or Glock. . .for reasons other than the round's effectiveness (portability, firepower).<br /><br />I now have a Ruger P-90 auto in .45ACP and a Taurus .22 auto. Disappointed in the heavy Ruger.<br /><br />I am going to go back to a SS Ruger Blackhawk in .357.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yea back in my hunting days, I used a revolver and rifle. Weapon of choice, 44 Magnum for me.

SpinnerBait_Nut

To each his own I guess.<br />tcube, the best thing to do is go look at them and feel them. See which one's feel right to "you". Your dealers have places set up to where you can shoot them if you want before you buy.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

You can always see that it's loaded Tylerin. Tho, if you are trying to bluff a crook in broad daylight with an empty revolver, you may get busted...

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

44 mag. can shoot 44 special cartridge for plinking and or lower power shooting. 44 special very comfortable to shoot and is a big bore as well. <br /><br />Me, I carry a Taurus Mod.445, 44 special Titanium snubby (18 ounces empty)when upnort on my land. 225 gr. very hard cast gas checked LSWC @ 830 +/- fps velocity (handloads). Is nice to have handy for things that need shooting. <br /><br />Used to lug around my SW 629 8 3/8" 44 mag w/ 2 power Leupold in a bandoleer holster upnort.......too much weight.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lots of good advice - thanks one and all. <br /><br />SBN - I will definitely see what feels right to me. <br /><br />tylerin - you mentioned used. Anything in particular to look for in used?

aspeck

Staff member

I have a Taurus 9mm semi, and several revolvers - S&W and Rugers in .22, .32, .38SP, .357Mag, and .44Mag. All for different uses. When hunting in rifle season I usually carry the rifle and the .44Mag, SuperBlackhawk (gotta love that gun for fire power, but the kick will make a novice flinch). Really depends on what you are looking for. I feel more accurate with a revolver than a semi - with a semi I am too concerned about putting rounds out quickly. If you are going for an all-around gun, I would go with a revolver in .357 mag. Enough fire power for hunting and with the .38's, cheap enough to plink around.<br /><br />Shucks, you can't go wrong with more guns, so just get one of each and enjoy! I picked up a .38SP S&W at an auction (the 4 screw face with laynard loop and 4 inch barrel) for $45. There was only 1 other bidder. I only bid to get the price up, and ended up with it. It is a fun little gun to shoot. If you look hard enough, and in obscure places (bargain sheets, auctions, estate sales, etc) you will be amazed at what you can find cheaply. I have purchased a couple of new weapons, but everything else has been purchased used at 1/2 the market value or less!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

tried and true 1911 design is kool... too many manufacturers to list and you can pick them up used or at shows at a fairly good deal...<br /><br />remember to look at ammo prices before you buy a specific caliber.. the price of plinking could startle you if you pick the wrong one..<br /><br /> ;)

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Whatever you are comfortable with & can work safely is a good choice. Any gun is better than no gun.<br />Semi-auto's need a bit more practice to learn how to operate controls & clear jams.<br />Revolvers generally go bang when you pull the trigger, but you should still practice.<br />Don't forget significant others w/ possibly less experience may have to use it too.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

For the casual user and for protection, you cannot beat a 357 mag revolver.<br /><br />Cheap and foolproof.<br /><br />Unless you are used to it, a 44 mag kicks too much and is difficult to control. It is often times the second shoot which is crucial. 44 mag takes a while to recover. IMO, It is too big for personal protection.<br /><br />The average guy (I am not strong) can accurately shoot a 357 mag with one hand.<br /><br />Ken

SoulWinner

Commander

As most of you know Mrs SoulWinner got a Ruger Blackhawk .357 for Christmas. I paid $300 for it, second hand in brand new condition. Great pistol. Now I want one like Spinners (.44, that's more my speed). <br /><br />Taurus 9mm is what I currently shoot, big frame for a small calibre round, absorbs recoil well, smooth shooting and dead accurate. I like it, no, I love it, and I fire high performance rounds that are just as deadly as .357 (+P+ Federal Hydra Shock).<br /><br />If money is negotiable and you want the mack-daddy of all killing machine hand cannons, there are a couple of choises, S&W 500 or 600 Mags (these can break your wrist) or the Taurus Raging Bull .454. The Taurus is the most user freindly big bore pistol on the planet with factory recoil compesators built right in! Hits like a freight train with over 1100 foot pounds of force!<br /><br />Down from these monsters are the .44 mag and the .357 mag., both of which are available in semi auto from Desert Eagle. Huge frame and unwieldy for all but the biggest hands, I don't recomend these. These rounds fire just fine from S&W, Tuarus, Ruger....there are scads of revolvers out there that chamber these rounds, just pick the style you like, old west like the Ruger Black Hawk or contemporary like the S&W or Taurus. I think you get more gun for the money with the Taurus because your not buying the S&W name. Dan Wesson builds a sweet little .357 that comes with five different barrels of various lengths, pretty neat but pricey.<br /><br />Next comes the .45 acp and then 9mm. Also the 10mm and S&W .40 should be considered. The .45, 10mm and the S&W .40 hit about the same and can be found second hand for $300 to $400, same for most good 9mm. What ever you do, stay with names like Colt, S&W, Taurus, Ruger, the ones that have good reps. There is a LOT of junk out there in semi auto pistols. In any event, I suggest you shoot several before making up your mind, and definatly shoot before you buy if you get something you are not already familiar with.

SoulWinner

Commander

OOps, I forgot my favorite! You can pick up an AK-47 for arounf $300-400 bucks and these are FUN to shoot!