GPS Chartplotter/Fishfinder options on new rig

Philster

Captain
So, my new rig has Livorsi Smartcraft gauges and a depth sounder.

I really want one add-on. I want to add a GPS/Fishfinder combo unit. I'm talking basic stuff here; something that is in the 300-425 dollar range. Garmin, Lowrance and a few others make nice compact units (w/internal antennas) that I like and have all the features I will ever need. The fishfinder feature is really for bottom mapping, something I find incredibly useful for where and how I boat.

So... what is really required for integration? For one, I know I can feed the GPS signal to my Smartcraft speedo to get GPS speed instead of pitot tube speed.

Would my current depth sounder feed into the new GPS/Fishfinder combo unit to provide depth details, or I am looking at needing another sounder?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: GPS Chartplotter/Fishfinder options on new rig

Would my current depth sounder feed into the new GPS/Fishfinder combo unit to provide depth details, or I am looking at needing another sounder?
I don't understand. Why do you need another sounder if your going to install a fish finder?

Philster

Captain

Right... that's my question: My current sounder (which feeds to a basic numeric readout) can be integrated with a new fish finder/GPS combo unit for bottom mapping?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Right... that's my question: My current sounder (which feeds to a basic numeric readout) can be integrated with a new fish finder/GPS combo unit for bottom mapping?

The simple answer is no. Two different technologies. It’s like connecting rabbit ears to your cable box expecting HD TV

Philster

Captain

You're good with analogies. :D

That's all I needed to know. Jeeze, it's like pulling teeth when shopping. I wanted to say, "Well, my instincts tell me I need to mount another sounder so this can bottom map properly."

It's not a big deal, but just wanted to order all the bits and pieces and be done with it. Probably do something similar with the fishing boat, too.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Those digital depth gauges are pretty useless. You'll find yourself end up watching the display on the fish finder and never looking at the depth gauge. It's nice to be able to see the sandbar before you run aground :D

Philster

Captain

Precisely!

First boat: digital numeric readout only

Second boat (Scarab): Fishfinder/Bottom mapper only (Wow, I leaned on that a lot).

This boat: came with digital numeric readout and I know from my last boat I would like to see the shallow stuff before I hit it!

Star

Chief Petty Officer

Ok Philister here is your lesson for the week!!!
You can never depend on a depth finder to keep you out of trouble, by the time you see it on the finder it is too late!!! Current charts, on paper or a chip should be used to plot a path to your destination and then confirming them on your finder/GPS.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

Ok Philister here is your lesson for the week!!!
You can never depend on a depth finder to keep you out of trouble, by the time you see it on the finder it is too late!!! Current charts, on paper or a chip should be used to plot a path to your destination and then confirming them on your finder/GPS.

A twin scope or iscan is a foward looking navigational sonar that can look out 1200 feet at a 45 degree/ 90 degree angle respectively,
and down 600ft at crusing speed but they are $2,500.00 +