Got Ham Hock - Got Beans ...What else ?

spratt

Lieutenant
Re: Got Ham Hock - Got Beans ...What else ?

Originally posted by oddjob:<br />I noticed that it helps but doesnt cut it out completely.
Reckon anyone else noticed the same thing, OJ?

oddjob

Commander

I really dont know spratt. I made the great northerns last night and did the 20 min. boil first. They cooked slow with chives, crushed tomatoe, potatoes, carrots,garlic and a ham hock in the crock all night. They look perfect. I will do the taste and anti gas test today and follow up with ya late afternoon. I need to go to the cafeteria and score some corn bread before lunch. :)

one more cast

Captain

I've been thinkin' again (sorry) and how bout you all get your tape recorders out and see who can TOOT the best version of Jingle Bells! :D

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by OBJ:<br /> Link....be patient with a crock pot and beans. I'll let mine cook a good day and a half. Put it on high during the day and stir once in a while. Add water as needed to keep them covered. Low during the night. <br /><br />Now ya' got me hungry. Suppose I'll put a pot on tonight. Ahhhhh...lingering memories of beans through odiferous odors permiating the air.....don't git no better than that!!<br /><br />*When all else fails....have a Bud*......I like that Spinner...... :D
Thanks for the heads up on the crock pot. Both of mine are at least 20 years old and like yours can cook for a couple days without turning the beans into mush! Actually on low three days.<br />A heads up to you OBJ, Relentless mentioned that my pot was too small and he ofcourse was correct. He also said if I cooked them for 24 hrs I would have bean soup. Well I did not want to be rude so I didnt address that.<br /><br />However at this time I must. Your heads up OBJ When I figured it was time to add the carrots and spices with about 8-12 hours left (I had a Bud :D ) "Thems the rules as I see it from this post" :) Then borrowed a new (one year old) big crock pot. After two hours I was just poking it because I could and low and behold everything was done just perfect! ACK! I was looking forward to a few more Buds! LOL<br />The new ones are so much faster! He was correct if I wasn't using old equipment!<br /><br />Lets see... old crockpots = more time which = more Buds..<br />New crockpots = less time which = less Buds..<br />Hey I can do the math.. I'll keep my old slow cooker! LOL

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

I make beans in the old crock pot once in a while (not often enough) and never make em the same way twice. I start with a Bud. I find it much more pleasurable to experiment and come up with a new twist every time. After thinkin it over for a while, I have another Bud.<br /><br />Of course, the basics don't change. You can't have beans without garlic, onions (raw or cooked), and at least one can of tomatoes. Once I have them started, I have a Bud because I'm usually thirsty by that time.<br /><br />I suppose I've had at least a version of almost all of the above posts but it's great to see them all at once. I like to have a Bud when I'm thinking about how to prepare the latest pot of beans.<br /><br />BTW Spratt, it may interest you to know, I'm a Yankee who can't get enough beans. You could argue that I was mostly raised in Virginia, but nobody I knew there ever ate em. My kids, on the other hand, love em as much as Mrs. Prof and I do. Heck, they even love to get me a Bud when we're sittin down to eat!<br /><br />OBJ, I thought it was also worth mentioning I love to have the occasional Bud when the subject of slow-cooked beans comes up.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

My mom makes bean soup with tomatoes, onions, either ham hock or sometimes she adds chicken. Slow cooks it on the stove all day...eat it over cornbread... MAN, that's some good stuff.

LadyFish

Admiral

Link, next time you make your beans try small red beans or pinto beans. Use all the ingredients from your post, add cumin and lose the bay leaf and use freshly cracked pepper so you don't lose the peppercorns in the beans.<br /><br />Another secret is NOT to add your seasoning until the beans are 90% done. My Uncle who wrote his own cookbook and was a wonderful chef gave me that lil tidbit and he was right. If you add them at the start, beans will get tough skins. It also helps determine the amount of salt you need since the ham hocks are a little salty anyway.

one more cast

Captain

Now you did it, I was in Sam's yesterday and while walking by the meat section a package of 8 ham hocks jumped right in my cart. :D

oddjob

Commander

Ok, The test is half complete. Only three toots in the late evening and all were duds. But to be be sure I need to make another batch without the boiling for 20 min. Eat the same portion at lunch again to compare the results. I do recall that I'm not sure if this method works on the pinto beans. Well thats another test.

spratt

Lieutenant

OJ, yer killin me here :D I am ROTFLMREO!!!!!<br /><br />Prof, ain't no need to argue about locale:) If ya like beans, ya gotta be alright!!! :D :D

Link

Rear Admiral

First of all a Big THANKS to everyone helping on this pot of beans.<br /><br />Didn't get to try them until Monday evening Do to Christmas party/diner Saturday and family members in town Sunday.<br /> Thanks to all of you this was one tastey pot of ham hocks and beans! Having dumplings cooked in them was a real plus.<br />We tasted it right before putting the carrots and pickling spice in and it was real good!<br />An hour later with the aroma of the spices floating through the air I knew we were onto something GREAT<br />Picture in your mind the smells at Christmas when you have hot cider in a pot with Mulling Spices floating around on top. Thats what HH & Beans smelled like.<br />Taste... gentle flavors all mixed together. very very good! <br />Note: For Mrs.Link and me we would have rather had a whole lot more ground black pepper and at least one jalopena or even a yellow chilli pepper.<br />But for MIL this was perfect!<br /><br />This Friday or Saturday we are going to dip the beans and ham out and bake them inside some corn bread! Ewwww can hardly wait!