Got Ham Hock - Got Beans ...What else ?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Got Ham Hock - Got Beans ...What else ?

I tried some cornbread one time with a can of whole kernal corn throwed into it. Try it. It's really good. And absolutley you need raw onion pieces to munch on while ya' eat the beans...thanks for pointing that out spratt. And fried potatoes is real good with them to. Did I mention ice cold Budwieser?

spratt

Lieutenant

Yep, taters is right on...have had the corn in the bread also...and have tried (notice I said TRIED) cracklin cornbread...ain't nothin can beat pan fried swet cornbread!!!

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Underwearhose... that sounds about right. Navy beans with rice with raw onion chopped up in it... yum, yum. But they have to be "cooked down" to make them right.

KennyKenCan

Commander

"Beans, beans, their good for your heart.<br />The more you eat, the more you fart!"

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

"Beans, Beans the musical fruit,<br />the more you eat the more you toot,<br />the more you toot the better youf feel,<br />so let's have beans with every meal."<br /><br /><br />If anyone wants a good, honest recipe for home cornbread that's great just ask for it.

spratt

Lieutenant

OK, Parrott...lay the recipe on me!!! I love good cornbread!!! A good friend here actually orders her corn meal from Virginia!!!!!

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

We have beans, Bud, onions, eggs, Bud, corn bread, Bud, garlic, did I mention Bud?<br />After all that only one thing comes to mind.<br /><br /><br />SBD. :eek:

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

you can say 'fart' but you can't say *****....hmmmm

KaGee

Admiral

Somehow after reading this thread the picture comes to mind from the movie "Blazing Saddles" when all of Headly LaMar's gang was sitting around the campfire eating some of "Cooky's" grub....<br /><br /> :D

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

SBD....ya' forgot ham, Bud, fried taters, Bud, good country butter, Bud........Bud. Yeah...that otta do.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

This recipe is an authentic family recipe that goes back to God knows when....<br /><br />Do NOT use self rising cornmeal or any fancy style cornmeal. Try to buy a local product if you can.<br />Preheat oven to 400 degrees. (Yep, 400)<br /><br />1 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal. (Not cornflour)<br />3/4 cup flour, all purpose<br />3 tsp baking powder<br />1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar<br />1 1/4 cup whole milk<br />1 egg<br /><br />Mix all the dry stuff together real well.<br />Mix the milk and egg togther.<br /><br />Now add the milk/egg mix to the dry mix.<br />Stir briefly until everything is mixed well. DO NOT overmix.<br /><br />Dump the stuff into a square or oblong pan, we use a eight by eight glass pan.<br /><br />Cook for 20-25 minutes.<br /><br />You can vary the sugar to your own liking.<br /><br />Try the basic recipe a couple of times then experiment. You can add chopped peppers, shreded sharp cheddar, drain whole kernel corn, etc...<br /><br />Best served hot with butter. If you make it pretty sweet it's almost like a yellow cake mix.

ebbtide176

Commander

maybe all you cooks know better, but i swear i thought everyone knew you gotta steep pintos for a couple hours - and they don't cause the stomach probs y'all mention.<br /><br />i don't have alot to brag on for my wife doesn't cook much, but this is the primo dish she has mastered. :D matter o fact, i got her to pick up pintos last weekend for another crockpot full, maybe this weekend.<br /><br />she always washes the beans by hand in a strainer, separates the 'bad' looking ones (hard black etc). then she puts them in a pot covered in water the night before, or at least for a couple of hrs. pour the old water off, then puttem in crockpot with water near to the top on high until tender & plump. then leave on low until chowtime. she just uses pork lean & white onion diced up(or vidalia onion sometimes). then she makes cornbread & i break out 1 of several chow-chow or other relish containers. :D <br /><br />but my mom does also serve the quartered onion chunks and puts the corn in the cornbread, yummmmmmm

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Gimme an address ebb.....I'm on the way!!

spratt

Lieutenant

ebb, I always buy the dried beans, put 'em in water, soak 'em overnite, pour old water out, put new ones in, and copycat what you wrote pretty much...only I usually put 'em in a boiler pot on the stove and watch 'em all day long on lower heat after they come to a boil...course all the ingredients are in there, 'ceptin the Vidalia sweets...<br /><br />PS...I ain't never et any pinto beans that didn't raise a flatulation period, no matter what we done to 'em!!! As someone else mentioned, if it bothers ya, then get some beano:)

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

My Grandmother use to put laundry blueing in the beans to avoid the gas. Dad says it didn't do a thing but you could fart a blue streak....

spratt

Lieutenant

Now, you done got me a'laffin!!! May try it...had beans tonite, but they was black eyed peas w/ham:) Purty good too...but mah wife is part yankee, since she was born in Hawaii, and she puts 'em over rice...and don't make corn bread much, nor does she EVER make fish or ANY form or fashion of seafood...she don't like it...I'd trade her in for a couple 22 yr olds, but I don't think I could handle THEM any more:)

ebbtide176

Commander

i just got back in here. i didn't get no beans and ending up having to buy dinner for wife. :( <br />but i just know i'll get some hot grub this coming weekend, my parents are coming down. hehehe<br /><br />i tell ya, i get no respect.

one more cast

Captain

My Dad always put a spoonful of cider vinegar in his bowl of beans before eating them, he said it calmed the gas. Now I do the same thing, I like the taste but I think it does zilch for the gas.

oddjob

Commander

Ok, I'm starting the crock tonight with some greatnorthern's. I've never added tomatoes but it sure sounds good. I also add some latin spices also from my cuban friends influence. Ken's spice bag sounds real good too. ........too bad my kids will have none of them. Instead of dumplins I just drop some crumbly cord bread into my beans along with fresh onion.<br /><br />(Note to self,..need cornbread and santi-wipes.)

oddjob

Commander

BTW one of them TV cooks said awhile back that it helps or eliminates the gas if you boil the beans for 20 min. and then drain/rinse and add new water before cooking. I noticed that it helps but doesnt cut it out completely.