Got Ham Hock - Got Beans ...What else ?

Link

Rear Admiral
Ok folks, here is what I have so far.<br /><br />1 ham hock about 1 3/4 lb w/meat thats left<br />1 1/4 lb 50/50 mix of red beans and another (light brown with darker brown spots)<br />1 red onion cut up<br />1 garlic clove squished in press and dropped in<br />1 bay leaf<br />12 whole black pepper corns<br /><br />After reading several (50-60) recipes decieded to take what sounded good and make my own.<br /><br />I washed the beans then just dumped everything in a 3-31/2 qt crock pot. Filled with water and put on low heat.<br /> <br />I have 24 hours to make modifications if you have any suggestions.<br />Can't take away from what I started but can add to it :) <br /><br />Thanks<br />PS MIL is going to bake the corn bread tommorow :D

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Got Ham Hock - Got Beans ...What else ?

Don't forget beer :)

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

ham base to taste, diced carrots. Beano

Kenneth Brown

Captain

OK, I can fix you up. Get a pair of *****hose, yes I said *****hose, prefebably new or CLEAN :) Get some pickling spices. Make a quarter size ball of the spices in the hose and twist tight. Put this in the beans about halfway through, maybe 4 hours till they are done. Remove the hose before anyone sees what it is and watch them wonder in amazement what that taste is. Its good man, you just gotta try it to believe it.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Them 2tone brown beans are pinto's. And don't forget the "Bean-0".<br />I'd add another 4-5 cloves of garlic. Add a 16ozcan of stewed tomaters. 16 ozjar of "La Victoria" brand Salsa Ranchera. And if you likes it hotter you can add a jalopena or 2. Don't add the jalopena unless youlike it spicy. mmgood

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

When they get done and just before you serve them up, dump four or five eggs into a bowl. Salt and Pepper to taste. Have a Bud. Start beating in flour until it's like a paste and will just drip from a spoon. Have a Bud. Drop in some small dumplings into the crock. 'Bout the size of a your ring finger fingernail. If the dumpling mix is to dry, add some of the bean stock to it or beer. Have a Bud. Let cook for about an hour and have a Bud. I always drop in dumplings to my beans. Really good. Have a Bud.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Some good home made corn bread with real butter would be nice.

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's a lot of beans in that size crockpot...check it after a couple of hours to make sure you have some liquid left. Other than that....sounds like you are on the right track. For something different...next time try white beans (Great Northern's). Any smoked pork will do for seasoning, but a slice of country ham is hard to beat. And btw..if you cook for 24 hrs you will have bean soup...not beans. Five or six hours should be plenty...unless you want soup.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

OBJ *When all else fails...have a bud :D :D :D

Link

Rear Admiral

Ah my time of night... 10pm to 2am<br />Mrs.Link is in bed. Have the HF on talking to some friends on 75 meters<br />Coast to Coast AM on in the backround.<br />Playing on IBOATS and tonight (not every night ofcourse) but TONIGHT a Mike's Hard Lemonade sitting on the desk with two more for a back up!<br /><br />So NO guys I'm not going to forget the Beer! :D <br /><br />Hey thanks guys<br /><br />First and foremost... I had to do a google search to find out what kind of spice Beano was! :eek: <br />Mrs.Link came home just as I was doing the search and I think she lost 10 pounds with all the tears running down her cheeks as she was ROFLOL :eek: <br /><br />Bigfun<br />Yup I always use diced carrots with Chicken N Dumplins. Should be here also.<br /><br /><br />Kenneth Brown<br />Mrs.Link gave that a big thumbs up! Cept she said that her mom has some spice bags and to leave her nylons alone! :p Will picked up the pickling spices tomorrow and use as directed.<br /><br />Chief 101<br />Thanks for the heads up on the pinto beans.<br />I did add 2 more cloves of garlic as per your post.<br />Stewed tomatoes, Salsa and jalopena's and red and yellow peppers are standard stock in my fridge! Always! Except the ST are kept in the cupboard.<br />Can't add them tomorrow because MIL doesn't do well with a lot of spice. However when we bring the left overs home we will add them and make a post on it.<br />I just hate when someone asks for advice then argues and doesn't take the advice. See tech side of iboats! ;) <br /><br />OBJ<br />What a great idea! We LOVE dumplings! Best of both worlds. Ham Hocks and beans with Dumplins and Corn bread! Does life get any better?? <br />We like to drop the batter into Gravey/liquid and let them cook. When served they come out all slimmy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.<br /><br />Relentless<br />In my crock pot after 6 hours on low even the onions are still crunchy. But very good advice so I shut it off and put it in the fridge.<br />How did you know that my crock pot was going to shrink! Tomorrow I will take 1/2 the beans out and use them for another meal.<br />White beans (Great Northern's). Awe yes... the way I was introduced to HH&Beans in NC, SC and Georgia. No better food on this earth!<br /><br />crab bait, 62_Kiwi and Spinner<br />Just finished my second Bud and am Buzzed! <br />Just saw one of Spinners buddies flying by.. no wait that was one of my Kittens chasing a ball of yarn! :) <br /><br />Will post tomorrow with the iboats recipe for Ham Hocks and Beans<br /><br />Thanks again.. buzzed going to bed

NYMINUTE

Captain

15.gif
<br />Yuck, sorry I'm a vegetarian....

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Link....be patient with a crock pot and beans. I'll let mine cook a good day and a half. Put it on high during the day and stir once in a while. Add water as needed to keep them covered. Low during the night. <br /><br />Now ya' got me hungry. Suppose I'll put a pot on tonight. Ahhhhh...lingering memories of beans through odiferous odors permiating the air.....don't git no better than that!!<br /><br />*When all else fails....have a Bud*......I like that Spinner...... :D

KennyKenCan

Commander

What are we making here?<br /><br />Cardiac Stew?

KaGee

Admiral

Oh, I get it now... Use OBJ's recipe... you'll get crocked before having your crock of beans!<br /> :D

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

*****hose is a forbidden word???? hmmmmm

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

how about jockey shorts...boxers.... some strange censoring going on....*****hose indeed.

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Link,<br />Your on the right track, I agree with the addition of more garlic, I'd go with a yellow or white onion over the red one myself, but that's personnel opinion.. to me, red onion in beans is like a beer with cake. Addition of tomatoes not bad either. Cook in chicken broth instead of water for a little more flavor, use the fat free if you like, add a little Jalapeno at a time till you reach the spice you like. I always add Comino to my beans as well, and quite a bit. Down here in South Texas we cook a bean or 2, mostly with a little Mexican influence, ever heard of "cilantro"? it's a Mexican herb, rather strong, some love it some hate it, you find it in beans occasionally South of San Antonio (I like it, but like the Jalapeno... you can alway add more but it's hard to remove it). I also add the smallest pinch of sugar.. don't over do it. Nothing better than a good pot of beans, nothing worse than a bad pot of em either. Oh yeah, always "moooove the beans gently don't stir and break them while simmering". Enjoy.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by ae708:<br /> *****hose is a forbidden word???? hmmmmm
I thought hosers were from Indiana??? errrr Hoosiers.. Not a big difference.
11.gif

spratt

Lieutenant

So let's try "underwear"...see if we get censored :D <br /><br />Link, I really thought you had it together until I read about your little fiasco concerning the spice of Beano...hmmmmm<br /><br /><br />Being from Georgia, I learned all about flatulation at an early early age...and it never came from those little white northern beabs, as we called them...the REALLY TRUE best flatulation occurred from the best gas-producing bean know to man...the divine PINTO bean...butter beans do a nice job, but not like the majestic PINTO...ANYthing served with PINTO beans is great, but in my ddeply rooted southern youth, we ate cornbread, either skillet fried, or baked in teh oven...it ALWAYS was made with sugar in it...and the onions were served up raw and simply quartered and eaten like an apple along witht he beans...of course the beans were heavily salted to taste, and sweet ice tea served by the gallon to satisfy teh salt driven thirst...later, sitting out on the porch and drinking more sweet iced tea, we could all just talk and let the energy escape as it would...I pitied the ladies, for they were taught that ferting was un-lady-like...guess that is why they could never sit for long periods of time, but had to continually go to the powder room...ah yes, the interesting times of our lives...I still serve pinto beans with ham in it, corn bread, collard greens, and sweet iced tea, and home made ice cream for dessert...and thumb my nose at the yankees who turn their nose up at my beans!!!!