Got Broadband!

brother chris

Commander
Re: Got Broadband!

I just got the same thing JB. Isn't life much easier this way? <br />No more wait...wait....wait...wait...load...wait....load. <br />I won't be without it now that I have it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If I can just get around these frequent disconnects It will be great, but I HATE it when the "line" goes dead in the middle of an IM conversation or just as I am about ready to send/post a lengthy text.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Broadband! <br /> Difference between a 5hp and a 250hp. <br /> Not all tech. sucks.

Xcusme

Commander

Originally posted by JB:<br /> If I can just get around these frequent disconnects It will be great, but I HATE it when the "line" goes dead in the middle of an IM conversation or just as I am about ready to send/post a lengthy text.
I know you said that you weren't concerned with the details of your setup (equipment) but post as much info as you can get. Perhaps a simple tweak can set things straight.

JB

!@#$%^&*( :mad: <br /><br />This is the third time I have tried this post.<br /><br />Is doing it over and over better than doing it slow?? :confused:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

JB, who supplied your modem? I have Comcast cable and bought a D-Link modem. I had frequent disconnects. D-link said it was not their equipment.<br /><br />I had Comcast come out and check the signal. They found no problems. I let them put on their Motorola modem, 8 months ago, and have never had another disconnect.

JB

No MODEM.<br /><br />Etherlink card to transceiver to antenna. Talks with a tranciever tower about half a mile away, which in turn communicates with the net.<br /><br />Gonna call the guy who installed it and whine.

JB

Nope. Windows 98

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

hey JB, one side benefit of windblows 98 is that, as I am lead to believe, most modern viruses do no affect 98. <br /><br />I did note that with wireless broadband it was essential for me to dump WinME and install full version of XP Home as well as Norton Internet Security (is a firewall and AV). <br /><br />Could be that 98 does not behave well with whatever wireless you are using. I have the "Motorola Canopy" system. Very reliable, 4 miles from line of sight tower, speeds sometimes bursting to 4+mbps. Usually 1.2 or better during high traffic at servers of isp. BTW, my isp is connected to rest of net via SBC fiber optic system.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Win 98 is not the most efficient system to be running for a connection. XP might have problems but much better than 98. Have a broadband connection with motorolla modem, a microsoft base station and three comps. Oldest one a 400 mhz. amd. Adapters are microsoft also. Over a year. Needed to reset once after a power outage. <br /> Microsoft no longer makes wireless equip. so do not know about dlink or linksys etc.