Good things you've found on a road, or roadside..

ehenry

Commander
Re: Good things you've found on a road, or roadside..

A complete set of Craftsman open end/box end wrenches 1 1/4" to 3/8" in the middle of I55 North, a Ryobi 14.4 volt cordless drill in the parking lot of Wal-Mart, a Coleman 4 man ten in a tree on the Pearl River, an Ithaca 20 gauge pump shotgun leaning up against a tree on my deer camp lease. The barrel was full of water and the gun was rusty but I tracked the owner down and gave it back to him. A 14 foot Duracraft aluminum boat floating abandon on the Big Black river no registration numbers or serial numbers.

tylerin

Commander

When I was about 10 I found the center part of a PLAYBOY magazine.I ain't been the same since ;)

oddjob

Commander

I found sixty dollars in the parking at work. first a 20 near a car tire, then another near by........after looking under several cars in the area I would up with about 60 dollars. I had a hard time moving on I wanted to keep searching. Nothin like picking fresh!..crisp!...twenties!....that was a nice day. <br /><br />I found my ex-wife....that was a sad day...

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

ALo tlike most of yall.<br />Tools, tarps, bungies. Never anything really awesome but I dont look that hard.

tylerin

Commander

Originally posted by oddjob:<br /> I found my ex-wife....that was a sad day...
Never pick up hitchhikers OJ ;) :D

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

I've found a couple of 6' prybars, a pair of wetsuits, a windsurfer sail and mast, a couple of mobile phones, a few wallets etc etc...but the oddest thing I ever found was a complete brand new boxed fairing for a ZZR600.<br /><br />I'm glad there's others here as bad as me for picking up cr@p!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by tylerin:<br />
Originally posted by oddjob:<br /> I found my ex-wife....that was a sad day...
Never pick up hitchhikers OJ ;) :D
If its mine "run her over" please...I have money! :D

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Having worked for the county road dept before I went straight, I have found may too many things to list the most notable was a Boat (yes a whole boat, was stolen from south jersey and was ditched on one of the back roads where the county had the bridge closed for repairs), $100.00 bill, too many tools to mention, and the most funny was a whole bunch of skimpy womens clothes, g-strings, studed bras, feathered undies, chain bras & panties. I figured she probably quit her job as a stripper.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I found a gold wedding band while snorkeling at Kewalo Yacht basin in Honolulu. About 1955.<br /><br />Someone had thrown it from the end of the jetty

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

This wasnt found on the road but I once found an abandoned shrimp boat. <br /><br />Shortly after a huricane landed just south of Boca Chica beach in south Texas I took my four wheel drive up the beach. I was the first to make it clear up the beach to the south jetty of the Brownsville ship channel. About six hundred yards before the Jetty there was a shrimp boat beached about 100 yds in from the surf. I climbed aboard but no one was around. When I came back a couple days latter the owners representative was there organizing a recovery.<br /><br />It and it's sister ship were on there maiden fishing voyage when they unwisley got caught by the storm. They ran for the channel but could not shoot it by time they got there due to the conditions. The first ship set cordinates in the auto pilot for no mans land in the gulf with hopes of catching it latter and abandoned ship to be succesfully picked up by the coast guard chopper. That boat was never recovered nor found to my knowledge. The chopper with the first crew on board was unable to help the second crew due to weight restrictions and room. The second crew was left to fend for themselves, They opted to try and survive a beaching. According to the crew I spoke with it was one wild ride. They all gathered in the wheel house figuring it would be there best bet for jumping ship once the time came. The captian tied himself in the chair so he wouldn't be thrown about while he tended the vessel. The crew hung on for dear life. They said there was quitwe abit of being thrown about the cabin. They secuasfully beached with a broken leg and a couple broken arms. They made there way up the beach to be picked up by the chopper later once it was bale to return.<br /><br />After all that you ask, why in the things I found thread? Come to find out due to Texas salvage laws and internatial maritime law had I stayed on board I could have legally claimed the vessel myself!!! Drats....the owners rep was quite glad no one had claimed it before there return. <br /><br />The trawl had taken quite a beating but after five days of around the clock work they had refloated the craft and was off to the shipyard for repairs. Most of the rigging was torn off but the vessel itself was in quite remarkable shape.

agrazela

Petty Officer 2nd Class

About 10 years ago a buddy and I were driving through Ontario to fish Lake Nipigon. We picked up a pair of really hot looking young ladies hitchhiking by the roadside...<br /><br />After talking awhile, we found out they were only 14 (yikes!!!), so we gave them change for a phone booth and dumped them out at the next town.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Cool stuff so far.. (except the ex-wives, and agrazela's 14 year-olds :eek: )

LubeDude

Admiral

Found a worm drive skill saw in the road one time, an axe, and a hammer stapler, Rope, and various bungie cords. oh, and a set of rain gear that fits the wife.<br /><br />I told the guy that wanted to marry my ex wife, (he was an old friend), That if he found something at the dump that looked good, that there was probably a reason why it was thown out in the first place. He married her anyway and quickly found out why I dumped her. :eek: :eek:

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

On a bike ride I found a 100 foot tape measure, tucked under my jersey in back and rode home with it, 15 miles or so

nothreat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As a boy I found a baggie with crushed leaves and a wierd looking pipe. Dad was with me so I just left it. Another time I found a very nice filleting knife stuck in a dead dog along the road. I have had that knife for 30 years now.

D

DJ

A good OMC gas can. -- Six gal.<br /><br />1865 dime.

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

My fil found a strange. He was walking along a road and stepped into the bushes to relieve himself. He found a briefcase, inside was something wrapped in plastic. As he was unwrapping it, he realized it was a gun. He took it straight to the sheriff and turned it in. 6 months later, they called him and told him to come and pick it up. When he passed, it came to me. It is a High Power .22 revolver. We never heard anything about it. Weird. I've found $50 and various tools and an X-rated video. I watched about a minute of it and that was all I could handle. It was pretty sick. :eek:

Stratosfied

Ensign

I have found the various tools etc., but the best thing I found was a $100.00 bill in the parking lot of a very crowded resturant in Destin Fl. two summers ago. I had to wait until a car backed out and I took that spot, opened the door and there it was laying on the ground. Told my wife and daughter to order whatever they wanted :D .<br /><br />I heard on the radio a few years ago that a lady on a state hiway in Fl. found a suitcase beside the road. She picked it up with the intention of getting it to the owners. When she got home there was no ID on the case so she opened it up and found 2.7 MILLION in cash. She took it to the police. I would have kept it. I have often wondered what became of the dopers who lost that cash? :eek: :eek:

aspeck

Staff member

A gold wedding band - guy took it off to play b-ball and left it on the bumper of his car. He and wife were happy when we tracked down the owner.<br /><br />Lots of tools<br />Lots of bungee cords and ratchet straps<br />Quite a bit of road kill - if it is fresh it is still yummy!<br />Drunks - On 2 different occasions. Had to pick them up and take them to the hospital to be treated for alcohol poisoning. Smelly, slobbering, idiots! Too drunk to walk, talk, or anything.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

When I was 19 I found this beautiful older woman (25 years old!) walking along the road and offered her a ride in my cool little MGB. That was quite possibly the finest 5-week stretch in entire life! :D