Good Beers / Bad Beers

Kilgore Trout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im getting tired of the Iraq thread. I figured its time to discuss something most of us can agree on.<br /><br />What are your favorite beers, any regional beers that you would recommend, Home brews. <br /><br />And is Coors light really beer?<br /><br />I've been around the country. My first taste of Beer was Rheingold. My Dads favorite. Growing up in Poughkeepsie, NY , I was priveledged to enjoy such great regional beers such as Utica Club and Gennesse ( I still have a hankering for Genny Cream Ale-I know the stuff is backwash, but it is good backwash)<br /><br />Traveling to West Virginia on a rowing scholarship, I was privy to 3.2 Strohs, and Pearl. <br /><br />Road trips to Ohio to get the "real stuff" I soon developed a taste for Guiness. When I began dating the dauhghter of the Chief Justice of the WV Supreme court, I was told that there was no such thing as 3.2 beer in WV - it was a a taxing scheme. 3.2 beers was measured by weight, not volume( or something like that)<br /><br />Art School in Pittsburgh gave me a taste of the pathetic backwash called Iron City (although their Golden Lager was pretty good). In Pennsylvania I also enjoyed Straub and Yeungling. Rolling Rock is still one of my favorite beers, especially on those hot sunny days, when a crisp lighter lager is just perfect. <br /><br />I settled on Long Island after Art School and the Microbrew revolution was just starting. My brother brought me a case of Sam Adams. WHOA!! that was good. I was hooked. that was almost twenty years ago and since then I have probably bought mass manufactured domestic swill (Bud, Coors, Miller) only 10 times since. <br />There is so much good stuff out there so here is my top list of favorite beers:<br /><br />American Premium:<br />Sam Adams (all varieties except the Christmas blend)<br />Sierra Nevada<br />Rolling Rock<br /><br />American Budget<br />Henry Weinhardt Amber<br />Gennesse Cream Ale<br /><br />Imports:<br />Grolsch<br />Dinkleacker<br />St.Pauli Girl<br />Guiness Draught (the draught is still made in Britain, the "regular" is made in Canada)<br />Old Peculiar Stout<br />Bass<br />New Castle<br /><br />There are many more but these are relatively easy to find and enjoy. If you are ever in California, check out the Yardhouse Bars There is a real nice one in Long BEach Harbor, Just pull up your boat and enjoy.<br /><br />Add to the list

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Good Beers / Bad Beers

I like beer<br />Sammy Adammmms "Oktoberfest dark"......Nummy<br />And only one more month to wait for it....

braindead0

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Samual Smiths Oatmeal Stout<br />Guinness<br />Murphy's<br /><br />The darker the better..<br /><br />Which brings me to a theory.. I hang around on alt.coffee (I roast my own coffee, only way to get it fresh) and it seems a lot of espresso drinkers also like stout and dark chocolate and sharp cheese.<br /><br />Just wondering if there is anybody that likes dark chocolate but doesn't like stout?

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

real Canadien beers... molson Brador, Labatts<br />extra stock. I normally drink Labatt's ice or<br />molson golden, but the imported version is just<br />not the same.

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Best micro brew:<br /><br />Saranac, out of NY<br />My own, Found out I can brew with the best of them.<br /><br />Last year I made an octoberfest that would put SA to shame and for Christmas I made a Cherry Wheat. Dark beer with the cherry taking some of the bitter out everybody loved that I have request to make a few cases for friends.<br /><br />Oh yeah, Make my own Wine too.<br /><br />
cheers.gif

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

16 oz Steel Reserve High Gravity Lager-----<br />----------------or-------------------------<br />---------- Miller IceHouse-----------------<br />---finest kind beers-----------------------<br /> :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

NOSLEEP

Commander

I like good COLD Canadian Beer.<br />I do enjoy Micro beer from time to time.<br />Yes Coors light is beer, It goes down well<br />here in Canada.

LadyFish

Admiral

Kilgore, I miss Genessee, I liked the 12 Horse Ale. We used to call it Hemlock Lake Water. :D <br /><br />Almost forgot....Shiner Bach, a Texas favorite.

Kenbo

Seaman

My favorite beer is the one in my hand followed closely by the next one! :D

Kilgore Trout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got a beer making kit for Christmas (the good one, not Mr. Keg) The First Batch was incredible. One of the best beers I ever had. <br /><br />All the other batches have been mediocre at best. Water in Southern California is horrible, even with filtering and we have extreme temperature swings between day and night. <br /><br />Its a pretty difficult task to get it just right.

Kenbo

Seaman

Kilgore, Try using bottled water and use an old refridgerator to obtain the proper temperatures so that you can use lager yeast as opposed to ale yeast. I have been doing homebrew for years, and nothing on the market compares. Never had one I didn't like! :)

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Kigore I have pretty good water here but I buy bottled water when I make beer/wine. Through trial and error I found that Poland Spring or Great Bear is the best. Although they are both from the same Co. so I buy which ever is the cheapest between the 2.
cheers.gif

NOSLEEP

Commander

How about an easy brew recipe for us novice beer<br />connoisseurs.

Kenbo

Seaman

Check out Charlie Papazian's books for everything you want to know about Homebrewing. Very informative. "Relax, have a homebrew!"<br /><br />By the way, zymurgy is the last word in the dictionary!

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

LOLOLOL, Kenbo wins this one hands down! err, hands up ... hehehe<br /><br />Tennets lager is something you find at Irish / Scottish festivals, if you like lager there is none finer, NONE people, find it, drink it, love it<br /><br />FRESHLY TAPPED genny cream ale is a delight, not the same out of a bottle or can, not the same animal at all, out of the keg, FRESH out of the keg, as long as it was always cold, oh my god, its great, there really is a creamy quality that is superb<br /><br />Rheingold ... crap beer, cheap swill ... yet get it in returnables, and its as good or better than bud, except for returnable bud, most beers in returnable bottles are wayyyy better than disposable crap, I guess its kept cold or something<br /><br />at a blue collar bar, i get bud<br /><br />period<br /><br />higher class joints, if they have Becks, Ill get that, chili beer, Dos XX (whatever, however its spelled is good, but if you are eating flame thrown HOT chili, (this could be a whole nother thread gang!) nothing beats an ice cold Rolling Rock.<br /><br />Gotta go to to the University now, stressed out and drooling /daydreaming about beer<br /><br />mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm<br /><br />BEER!!!<br /><br />Im with ya on that one Homer!!!!!<br /><br />DOH!

oddjob

Commander

I havnt brewed in a few years so I stopped drinking it until I do it again.<br /><br />Because Fla. Temp. I like Cooper Lager or a steam beer. I gotta do it again because American rice beer gives me heart burn. I have a nice kit, but I need a frig.

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Hey NOSLEEP! Just go to your local home brew store and buy a kit. There are different types. Some you have to cook, some you just add the wort, water and yeast; and if your really advanced you can buy all the ingrediants separately. Personally, I still work with the kits and make my own wort. The key is cleanlyness and good water. Listen to some of the others though do NOT buy the keg kit. yuk!<br /><br />give this web site a try:<br /><br /> https://secure5.nexternal.com/share...2=908561348&Target=products.asp&CategoryID=56 <br /><br />
luck.gif

Kilgore Trout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the link.<br /><br />You mentioned wine. Out here in CA we have a chain of stores called "Trader Joes". (Excellent off-brand beer selection from around the world, with really good prices. I can pick up a six of Grolsch for $3.50)<br /><br />Anyway, there has been a grape glut in CA, so wineries are producing some good table wines for very good prices.<br /><br />I've taken to drinking Charles Shaw Merlot. 2 dollars a bottle hence the name "Two Buck Chuck" Its been compared to wines costing up to $20.(I've seen it on a retaurant wine list for $35) I can knock off a whole bottle and not have a headache.<br /><br />Stay with the red wines. the Shaw white wines are horrid.

Whaler Proud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Shiner Bock....absolute favorite<br /><br />Sierra Nevada (any)....close second<br /><br />Original Coors<br /><br />Milwaukee's Best Light....when I am on a budget and need a good drunk ;)

FLATHEAD

Captain

Yeungling is a pretty good brew. But I still like my Bud.<br /><br />But the best beer of all is FREE beer.