gm v6 one bank of cylinders not firing

frank1492

Seaman Apprentice
New plugs, coil, new distributor. Wit's end.
Of course the distributor was most suspect, but a new one didn't solve it. What else could it be? Wiring maybe? Your help is much appreciated?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
come on dodge, no magic crystal ball? Betting he didnt connect the spark plug wires

alldodge

Staff member
BT never cared for crystal balls, just to clear :ROFLMAO: but maybe a ouija board :cool::poop:

frank1492

Seaman Apprentice
I've spent hours on this and, as to your snide and unhelpful remark, I *did* connect the spark plug wires.

alldodge

Staff member
I've spent hours on this and, as to your snide and unhelpful remark, I *did* connect the spark plug wires.
Don't be go get your shorts in a bind. We have no idea what your working on

alldodge

Staff member
It's a GM 4.3L v6, also used in a Chevy. Does that help?
A Nooooooooo

Is it a carb (2BBl 4BBL), EFI (TBI, MPI)?
Is it in a truck, a car or a boat?
Does it have points or electronic ignition?
Does it have cable throttle or digital control?
Is this a new to you motor, or new problem?

Again we have NO dang idea what the HE double hocky sticks your working on

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Oh boy....
I just finish reading through that thread for newbies!

@frank1492 , don't get discouraged.
There are some really helpful geniuses here, but they get frustrated when someone asks too general of a question.

There are many GM based engines used in boats. And each of them have had many different variations over the years.

There have also been a bunch of different ignition systems used over the years. Plus, some people have switched ignitions for aftermarket units.
So, is it a Thunderbolt 4 or 5 or maybe an aftermarket setup? Points, electronic, carb, fuel injection? We can only guess.

When it comes to working on boat engines, drives, etc., you are best to list the serial numbers for exact identification. It's not like a car or truck where you can ID an engine by the car model year.

So, you can see how someone trying to help can get a bit frustrated when too little info is given.

If you need help finding the serial number, someone can help you with that.
If no serial number can be found, then you'll need to provide certain details to ID the marinized engine manufacturer and distributor ignition system/model used...A photo is best if possible.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Hey mods....
Did someone edit my post (post #10)?

In the last paragraph, I didn't write that ending.
No big deal, it was a good edit. I don't believe spell check could have worded it that good!

Just wondering if I was going crazy!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It's a GM 4.3L v6, also used in a Chevy. Does that help?
there are 7 generations of GM 4.3 used in boats

with that, there were 13 different ignitions between all the marine engine marinizers and about 15 different induction systems Not including the digital controls, that adds a whole lot of variations on top of that.

so no, it doesnt help to simply say GM 4.3.

what generation, what marinizer? (Merc, OMC, Volvo, Ilmor, Indmar, PCM, etc.) best yet, what serial number?

if it has a distributor and one of the banks isnt firing. its either a bad distributor cap (primarily with the crab cap), bad wires, or bad plugs or someone mis-installed the heads and valvetrain, or its an MPI motor with a bad wiring harness or 3 bad injectors.

so to help us help you. What are you working on?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey mods....
Did someone edit my post (post #10)?

In the last paragraph, I didn't write that ending.
No big deal, it was a good edit. I don't believe spell check could have worded it that good!

Just wondering if I was going crazy!

Yes, the last paragraph was edited to help if the serial number wasn't found. Not by me. Joe, you are really observant.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Yes, the last paragraph was edited to help if the serial number wasn't found. Not by me. Joe, you are really observant.
Yeah, I have a good idea who it was by the choice of words. Good edit from the Grumpy old guy who plays with boats!

But thanks for confirming I'm not crazy.
Uh, well, maybe that doesn't confirm that I'm not crazy...or senile...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yeah, I have a good idea who it was by the choice of words. Good edit from the Grumpy old guy who plays with boats!

But thanks for confirming I'm not crazy.
Uh, well, maybe that doesn't confirm that I'm not crazy...or senile...
I cant edit, Im not a mod. however GA is...... LOL

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I cant edit, Im not a mod. however GA is...... LOL
With the use of the word "marinizer", I thought for sure it was you! Ha!
It's nice the mods are paying attention and helping to clarify things for better results.

Back on subject...
I think we scared the OP away.
That's unfortunate on his part.
We can still help if he would provide the details needed to identify the engine.
I tried to be the moderator and get him to stick around, but so far....crickets... Maybe I'm just too nice?

After post #9, he should have just listed the details and maybe he'd be out boating by now.

This forum has been invaluable to me and probably to thousands of others.
I don't know where I would have turned to when needing even the basics of marine repairs. Probably would have paid big bucks to some marina mechanics.

And yes, I have experience with hot rods and motorcycles, but I quickly realized marine engines have unique idiosyncrasies. Landlocked mechanics need to come to terms and realize this.