gluvit

swordfish25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When using gluvit to seal leaking rivets after they have been repeaned, do you have to paint the whole bottom of the boat, or just the rivets? Does this have to be done on the outside because of the UV? does this have to be painted over if you use it on the outside bottom? Does it come in different colors? :confused:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: gluvit

Coat just the rivets, do it from the inside. UV is bad for epoxy. If exposed to sunlight you have to paint it. It only comes is yellowy clear :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If you apply gluvit in the outside of the hull you want the hull to be turned upside down so the gluvit creeps into the rivets and not away from them.

Gluvit does not come in colors but can be tinted ....read the instructions.

You only need to do the rivets...... and it you can get to the rivets on the inside I would also use the gluvit there.

Only loose rivets need to be re-bucked. Leaking rivets are usually easy to spot.

I will refer you to this post too for some information http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=343355

swordfish25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I couldn`t get the site to work, I will try again later. If I use gluvit on the rivets inside, I have to paint the whole inside, is that right? Didn`t rearly want the inside painted, never had it stay on in my other boats. If I recall you have to etch the alumn. with acid before you can paint.

mikezohsix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you apply gluvit in the outside of the hull you want the hull to be turned upside down so the gluvit creeps into the rivets and not away from them.

...and if you can't turn the boat upside down becuase you already put your I/O motor back in....

Is it still worth putting the Gluvit on the rivets on the outside that go to the ribs on inside (so there's no value in gooping them up on the inside)????

Bob_VT

Staff member

If ir is not reasonable possible to have the hull flipped (i.e. the IO is installed ;)) or maybe you do not have the people power to do it..... By all means do the gluvit on the inside river heds and seams. About 90% are done that way.

You do not have to paint the entire inside if you use gluvit inside however if you do want to pain the inside and the hull is exposed aluminum.... clean it with 50/50 vinegar water, mist it with zinc chromate and paint away...... just scuff the gluvit spots so they will accept paint.

swordfish25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I want to thank you guys for taking time to answer me. Maybe I am confused as to which side of the boat you should apply the gluvit to. I read that it has to be painted over to protect it from uv rays. If I put it on the inside, do I have to paint over it? If I do it on the outside, will the force of the woter wash it away? The directions will probably tell me how to prep the hull. This is a 68 starcraft 14 ft alumn. boat that I got, and wanted to make it water tight again. Nice shape but time has loosened a few rivets. Need th re/but them first then seal.

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

If the inside of the boat is going to be exposed to the sun..yes paint it..if its beneath the deck..you will not need to..

Outside the hull..the waves/water pressure should not wash it away..(dont know how long it will last outside) it is tough stuff and also has some elasticity(?) properties to it. Its not brittle. I would paint the hull after Gluvit is applied and cured.

swordfish25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again; I will put it on the inside. Can this be spray painted with an areasal can of alumn, paint? It is an open fishing boat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I spray painted my last boat and it didn't go real well. The overspray killed any gloss I might have had (I suppose it could have been wet sanded back to glossy if I'd tried). Plus it used a TON of rattle cans. I had MUCH better results rolling the paint on my current project.

Bob_VT

Staff member

About the only rattle cans you will need are for the zinc chromate to do the bare aluminum. Like ezmobee stated the rattle cans for the paint really are not the way to go and you will actually end up cheaper using paint from a can and the roll and tip method. Rattle cans will destroy your wallet $$$$ fast!

MANY MANY people have gotten satisfactory results using rustoleum from a can.