Glass Bottom Boat...

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have recently brought home an old Thompson wood lapstrake boat... I thought. After pulling up the floor, I noticed a few things. First, the boat had been left outdoors for about two years with a tarp. There was about six inches of standing water in her. I drained it out and let it dry a bit more. There are some ribs rotted and some "gone". The center "Keelson"? seems reasonably sound... I scraped thin Elements of the floor skin away until it seemed firm. There was what looked like expoxy at the transom base and some up forward near the bow... the whole bottom of this boat is glass'd... Now what? I can't very well tear it all off and start fresh ( I do not have the budget or time ) What do I do with the (glass half full) so to speak. Do I West System the inside, and paint it with bilge paint? Oh the humanity! Thanks!

Attachments

• bilge rot small.JPG
    bilge rot small.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Missing rib small.JPG
    Missing rib small.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Epoxy at bow.JPG
    Epoxy at bow.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 0
  • All fiberglass.JPG
    All fiberglass.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Glass Bottom Boat...

that is the problem with glassed wooden boats. they should have never been glass imho.

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Glass Bottom Boat...

Hey Daddy,

Over the last two years I have been very grateful for your help and advice. The help you provide on this site allows people like me to move ahead with our hobby (mental health therapy). I would really like to move forward with this craft, if possible. Are there any methods or resources you have come across that would be "lesser of evils"?

Again, thanks for your help... past, present and future...

Tom